U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 05:36 PM

6,795 posts, read 11,765,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
I-5 constricts down to two lanes NB in downtown Seattle. Seriously. It was built with the idea that most NB traffic would get off on downtown exits. Today, most traffic is not exiting, they are continueing through. But yet, nothing is being done to correct this earlier miscalculation.
Same in Downtown Portland
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2017, 08:31 PM

561 posts, read 539,001 times
This is only going to get worse. Can you imagine this I-95 corridor in another 10 years? I don't know if expanding capacity is the answer (though you could add another lane each direction, so you'd have 8 lanes as it already is from DC on up through Baltimore and Philadelphia), but in reality we need better rail/appealing mass transit options.

Old 12-01-2017, 11:41 AM

5,659 posts, read 3,642,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquest1 View Post
This is only going to get worse. Can you imagine this I-95 corridor in another 10 years? I don't know if expanding capacity is the answer (though you could add another lane each direction, so you'd have 8 lanes as it already is from DC on up through Baltimore and Philadelphia), but in reality we need better rail/appealing mass transit options.
What I-95 needs is the E-Z Pass express lanes, but in both directions (2 lanes each way), open for free for HOV-3 users and for a fee for anyone else. It needs to be built from Washington all the way down to Richmond.

And while they're at it, maybe they could add a third lane each way to I-64 from Richmond over to the Tidewater area.

Old 12-01-2017, 11:46 AM

22,331 posts, read 32,148,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
What I-95 needs is the E-Z Pass express lanes, but in both directions (2 lanes each way), open for free for HOV-3 users and for a fee for anyone else. It needs to be built from Washington all the way down to Richmond.

And while they're at it, maybe they could add a third lane each way to I-64 from Richmond over to the Tidewater area.

like the new ez pass express lanes north of Baltimore?

Old 12-01-2017, 11:59 AM

5,659 posts, read 3,642,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
like the new ez pass express lanes north of Baltimore?
Yes, just like that. The problem with the lanes north of Baltimore is that they are only marginally useful. They'll get you past the White Marsh congestion, but that's all. They still dump you into the mess before the Fort McHenry Tunnel. And they don't connect with I-695 at all.

If they could have been built from I-395 (downtown Baltimore) to at least MD 24 (Bel Air), if not farther north, they'd be great. If they could be extended south to Washington and link up with the lanes that would (hopefully) extend down to Richmond, that would be better. And if they could run the entire length of I-95 from Portsmouth, NH to Richmond, VA, that would be awesome.

Old 12-01-2017, 06:33 PM

1,036 posts, read 724,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquest1 View Post
We absolutely need better rail and mass transit options! Unfortunately, our politicians are idiots, and some of their supporters are even bigger morons. These are the people who will view adding capacity/expanding highways as an investment, yet will steadfastly oppose rail and mass transit investment, seeing them as "wasteful subsidization".

Also, I wouldn't want another lane on I-95 in the Philadelphia area. Really, I want I-95 redirected into New Jersey (along what is currently I-295) so that the existing viaduct can be demolished.

Old 12-01-2017, 08:32 PM

2,865 posts, read 1,255,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jFug View Post
I-90 in the Erie, PA area needs widened to 3 lanes.

From exit 18 (PA 832/Sterrettania Rd.) to exit 29 (PA 8/Parade St).

Way too much traffic and people exiting and entering the highways for just two lanes, especially with all the development focused up by the highway...
Agree 100% with this one

Another highway that was a PITA to navigate due to not enough lanes on I-65 around the Nashville area. In Nashville it increases to multiple lanes on each side but quickly goes back to a 4-laner. I hated driving on this road while I lived in TN

Old 12-01-2017, 08:53 PM

2,035 posts, read 4,554,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
All of the I-10 from Houston to at least Pensacola should be 6-laned.
Agree. Its 2 lanes either direction and there are fatal accidents almost daily

Old 12-02-2017, 05:21 PM

4,852 posts, read 8,990,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
All of the I-10 from Houston to at least Pensacola should be 6-laned.
And all of I-10 from Houston to San Antonio should be 6-laned also. There are so many people traveling between San Antonio and Austin (via SH 71) to Houston (and vice versa).

Might also upgrade US 90A to expressway status from Seguin to the Houston area. Removing the alternate designation and rerouting US 90 on this route would be an improvement. Hopefully they would reroute the section inside Interstate 610 via the Loop and eliminate the Business 90 designation paralleling the long-awaited, newly completed Crosby Freeway.

Old 12-02-2017, 11:45 PM

13,217 posts, read 17,951,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
Agree 100% with this one

Another highway that was a PITA to navigate due to not enough lanes on I-65 around the Nashville area. In Nashville it increases to multiple lanes on each side but quickly goes back to a 4-laner. I hated driving on this road while I lived in TN
Tennessee has smooth highways, but some of them need more capacity. I-65 from the Kentucky state line to Nashville and I-24 from Nashville to Chattanooga are part of the main route between Chicago and Atlanta, so there's a lot of traffic. Kentucky is almost finished widening I-65 through the entire state, so Tennessee needs to get on the ball, and so does Indiana, for that matter. I-65 from Indianapolis to Louisville has very heavy traffic. I'm not sure how bad traffic is on I-65 between Gary and Indianapolis since I drove it late at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.