U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 03:49 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,118,802 times

Advertisements

One that is starting to get bad is I-57 between I-64 and I-24, this is mainly due to people driveing betweeen St. Louis and Nashville having to jog on that interestate for 50 miles.

Although in that case and likely a few others one possible option is to just build a new section of interstate. In this case it would be I-24 going Northwest towards St. Louis. This would also deal with a dangerous stretch of a state route along there and make easier access to a number of communities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 03:51 PM

3,261 posts, read 7,814,328 times
I-35E in Dallas needs to be expanded.

Old 08-10-2010, 04:49 PM

13,223 posts, read 17,972,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialmog View Post
One that is starting to get bad is I-57 between I-64 and I-24, this is mainly due to people driveing betweeen St. Louis and Nashville having to jog on that interestate for 50 miles.

Although in that case and likely a few others one possible option is to just build a new section of interstate. In this case it would be I-24 going Northwest towards St. Louis. This would also deal with a dangerous stretch of a state route along there and make easier access to a number of communities.
I've driven that stretch of I-57 many times, and it could use six lanes too. I'd actually prefer that they six-lane that part of I-57 because it'd be cheaper to expand its capacity than it would be to extend I-24 to St. Louis.

Old 08-10-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
screw the turnpike how about some help for the Schuylkill, more than 4 times capacity it was built for

Schuylkill Expressway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Due to right-of-way constrictions, expanding the Schuylkill Expressway would be very expensive, just like it would be to expand I-376 through Pittsburgh. (At least the Schuylkill Expressway isn't artificially constricted by tunnels.) In order to give both those segments of highway the funding and attention they need, PennDOT would probably have to mothball a lot of different projects across the state for at least two or three years. Be that as it may, it's something that needs to be done. Both the Schuylkill Expressway in Philadelphia and I-376 in Pittsburgh should be eight-laned and brought up to 21st-Century Interstate standards. They were both grandfathered into the Interstate Highway system; that's how old the highways are, at least from a design perspective.

Old 08-10-2010, 05:01 PM

804 posts, read 1,746,959 times
I-85 in NC and SC between Kings Mountain(CLT Metro) and Gaffney(SPT Metro) driving 45 miles a hour for 40 miles is Mind numbing. 3 Lanes each way would help out,

Old 08-10-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
I've driven that stretch of I-57 many times, and it could use six lanes too. I'd actually prefer that they six-lane that part of I-57 because it'd be cheaper to expand its capacity than it would be to extend I-24 to St. Louis.
I think that is the general trend of what they are doing. If you notice all of the refurbishing of any bridges along that strech is being built to have extra lanes.

I think the new highway proposal is mainly something proposed by communties along such a route. Mainly Carbondale, Belleville, and Columbia.

It likely will be pursued soon as a means of state politicans having to throw a bone to downstate voters due to the uneasy relationship between Southern Illinois and the rest of the state.

Old 08-10-2010, 05:48 PM

Quote:
I think that is the general trend of what they are doing. If you notice all of the refurbishing of any bridges along that strech is being built to have extra lanes.

I think the new highway proposal is mainly something proposed by communties along such a route. Mainly Carbondale, Belleville, and Columbia.

It likely will be pursued soon as a means of state politicans having to throw a bone to downstate voters due to the uneasy relationship between Southern Illinois and the rest of the state.
Damn Copperheads!

Old 08-10-2010, 06:12 PM

3,881 posts, read 3,033,442 times
I-95 -between New York City & New Haven, CT

I would say all of I-95 from New York City to Boston, MA needs to be expanded, but I've never driven the section of I-95 in Rhode Island. Maybe someone here can comment on that.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Damn Copperheads!
It is interesting seeing how many political ads in Southern Illinois play on that theme. It is mainly the idea of being ignored by the rest of the state. (Mainly Chicago area) Also the wide cultural and political divide plays into it.

I do know with I-70 in Missouri there is a parallel highway planned and starting to be constructed 100 miles north which could be an alternate in some cases.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:14 PM

Quote:
It is interesting seeing how many political ads in Southern Illinois play on that theme. It is mainly the idea of being ignored by the rest of the state. (Mainly Chicago area) Also the wide cultural and political divide plays into it.

I do know with I-70 in Missouri there is a parallel highway planned and starting to be constructed 100 miles north which could be an alternate in some cases.
They want to extend I-72 west from Hannibal to St. Joseph, using the U.S. 36 right of way. It'll go right past the towns where my parents and most of my extended family were born and raised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.