U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 09:35 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,115,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
It can include urban Interstates. For example, I-76 in Philadelphia and I-376 in Pittsburgh are too constricted for cities their size.
Yes, generally the urban interstes that have the most problems tend to be the either the oldest ones or highways that were built in the pre-interstate era. One issue I have seen with these highways is that they are considered substandard in design compared to modern highways. (oftentimes having low clearences, lack of emergency lanes/shoulders, along with very tight ramps causing bottlenecks in traffic)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 10:12 AM

12,381 posts, read 23,364,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
None. People need to walk and bike more and rely on the interstates less for their daily commutes. This necessitates living closer to work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialmog View Post
This isn't talking about metro area interstates. This is more relating to rural stretches of interstates that have problems largely due to truck travel.

I don't think people can really plan on living close to work anymore due to people changing their jobs so often. That and two income households likely means the two people work in different areas. That and many workplaces have few housing options near the place of employment, often the places are either too rundown or too expensive.
Transit and Intercity Rail need to be upgraded better. VA , PA , MA , RI and DE plan on upgrading or building New lines and restoring / building Urban Transit systems. We need Dual Rail Corridors , Freight / Intercity Rail it works in Europe it can work here. Only a few states plan on doing that like in VA for the I-81/95 Corridors. Cities like Baltimore and Southern CT have have bad transit although its improving it could be far better.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:29 AM

2,303 posts, read 5,169,207 times
85 in North Carolina should be at least 3 lanes throughout the state--and 4 in some places.

77 in South Carolina between Rock Hill and Columbia is adding volume, too, but not as much as 85. It may stand to have a third lane in each direction in the near future.

I think 26 between Columbia and Charleston can be a very nervewracking drive when truck traffic is bad enough. So I'd add that one to the list too.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Transit and Intercity Rail need to be upgraded better. VA , PA , MA , RI and DE plan on upgrading or building New lines and restoring / building Urban Transit systems. We need Dual Rail Corridors , Freight / Intercity Rail it works in Europe it can work here. Only a few states plan on doing that like in VA for the I-81/95 Corridors. Cities like Baltimore and Southern CT have have bad transit although its improving it could be far better.
I am thinking in terms of freight traffic since that is the root of more traffic issues outside urban areas and a large part in them would be how much could be diverted to rail? I think a lot of it would work better if the rail lines were dual rail due to having to lose time for trains to go the other way.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:04 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,111,324 times
When I read this, the very first one that instantly came to mind, without question, is I-95 between NYC and New Haven, CT. It's always congested at all times of the day and evening, including weekends! It almost causes eye strain whenever I drive along it, because my mind has to process all the vehicles driving in both directions, almost like a giant artery of cars. Even the Merritt Parkway (CT-15) runs parallel to I-95, but still isn't enough to mitigate the traffic volume. The road is only 3 lanes wide in most parts. They should expand it to 5 lanes for the entire length IMO.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:08 PM

Quote:
I am thinking in terms of freight traffic since that is the root of more traffic issues outside urban areas and a large part in them would be how much could be diverted to rail? I think a lot of it would work better if the rail lines were dual rail due to having to lose time for trains to go the other way.
Here in the Northeast its more of Passenger and Freight over crowding. VA Master Rail build out plan will solve a bulk of that but its moving so slow with there plans. They plan on linking all the key cities with Rail. Dual Corridors work in Europe , all you need is updated Signals and Tracks. You can space trains every 90 seconds. Which they do up here in the NYC region. Freight operates at night but they make the trains very long up to 3 miles.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:54 PM

16,728 posts, read 23,147,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
When I read this, the very first one that instantly came to mind, without question, is I-95 between NYC and New Haven, CT. It's always congested at all times of the day and evening, including weekends! It almost causes eye strain whenever I drive along it, because my mind has to process all the vehicles driving in both directions, almost like a giant artery of cars. Even the Merritt Parkway (CT-15) runs parallel to I-95, but still isn't enough to mitigate the traffic volume. The road is only 3 lanes wide in most parts. They should expand it to 5 lanes for the entire length IMO.
I agree that 95 between New Haven and NYC is incredibly busy. I've hit traffic there at all times of day/night. It's the only highway I know of in the Northeast where if you wanted to go grab a drink two towns over on a Friday night at 10pm, you have to leave early because you'll hit traffic. If it's not stop and go, there's heavy volume so you can't go much over 45-50mph. That's why whenever there is an opening in traffic on this 50 mile stretch, the minimum speed is 85. LOL

The problem is, though, you can't widen 95 at all in this area. It's way too suburban and you'd have to completely redesign the towns it passes through and probably some of the Metro North Railroad to even add one lane to each side. These towns have some of the most expensive real estate in the country, so there's another hurdle.

CT needs to focus on better rail service. It's gotten better in recent years for the state, but just in the half that's part of the NYC Metro.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Here in the Northeast its more of Passenger and Freight over crowding. VA Master Rail build out plan will solve a bulk of that but its moving so slow with there plans. They plan on linking all the key cities with Rail. Dual Corridors work in Europe , all you need is updated Signals and Tracks. You can space trains every 90 seconds. Which they do up here in the NYC region. Freight operates at night but they make the trains very long up to 3 miles.
Those factors are a large part of traffic congestion particularly in rural areas.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:34 AM

1,860 posts, read 4,440,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBrakeforTailgaters View Post
85 in North Carolina should be at least 3 lanes throughout the state--and 4 in some places.

77 in South Carolina between Rock Hill and Columbia is adding volume, too, but not as much as 85. It may stand to have a third lane in each direction in the near future.

I think 26 between Columbia and Charleston can be a very nervewracking drive when truck traffic is bad enough. So I'd add that one to the list too.
Compared to a lot of other interstates, I-77 between Rock Hill & Columbia still isn't that 'congested' - 2 lanes will probably suffice as long as the area remains mostly rural between the 2 cities.

I-26 on the other hand definitely needs to be widened (I mentioned this in an earlier post as well), at least from Columbia to I-95 - living on the east side of the city, I will take old 2-lane highways (that have virtually no traffic) when we are travelling to Charleston to I-95 before getting on I-26.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Those factors are a large part of traffic congestion particularly in rural areas.
Rail can fix that hench why VA , CT have detailed plans for it. We are restored some Rural lines to less the congestion on some interstates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.