U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 07:41 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,365,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
In Pacific Northwest, I-90 between Cle Elum WA and Hyak ski area. (Plans, but uncertain timetable).
I-5 between Chehalis and South Olympia (under construction in places). I-205 south of Portland from I-5 to Oregon City. (No plans I'm aware of). I-5 from the Rose Garden to the Interstate Bridge. (They want to build a bigger interstate bridge, but the capacity of I-5 south of the bridge creates problems.)
I just drove that a week ago, and there seemed to be ongoing construction on the parts of I-5 that WEREN'T 3 or more lanes each way. Is the Seattle-Portland route getting as busy as that?

And I caught the tail end of the I-5 northbound construction on the interstate bridge..along with Portland's rush hour traffic when I was driving up there. That was the most miserable part of my journey.

If anything, WA-520 severely NEEDS some kind of upgrading. It seems that no matter what time I drove on it, there was always heavy traffic. In addition, WA-99 (Aurora Avenue) south of 85th street needs better markings for exits, better pavement, etc etc. Driving on that road always seemed like such a death defying stunt! Considering that its used by many Seattle residents as an alternative to the extremely congested I-5, I would say that needs priority (both not interstates, but both highways that could use from TLC from WSDOT).

All of California's I-5 really needs revamping. From the Mexican border to the Oregon border. If there needs to be ONE highway that should be on the CalTrans to do list, its that one. I-15 is currently getting expanded to 6 lanes, but that could also use some major work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 08:34 PM

3,970 posts, read 11,842,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
I just drove that a week ago, and there seemed to be ongoing construction on the parts of I-5 that WEREN'T 3 or more lanes each way. Is the Seattle-Portland route getting as busy as that?

And I caught the tail end of the I-5 northbound construction on the interstate bridge..along with Portland's rush hour traffic when I was driving up there. That was the most miserable part of my journey.

If anything, WA-520 severely NEEDS some kind of upgrading. It seems that no matter what time I drove on it, there was always heavy traffic. In addition, WA-99 (Aurora Avenue) south of 85th street needs better markings for exits, better pavement, etc etc. Driving on that road always seemed like such a death defying stunt! Considering that its used by many Seattle residents as an alternative to the extremely congested I-5, I would say that needs priority (both not interstates, but both highways that could use from TLC from WSDOT).

All of California's I-5 really needs revamping. From the Mexican border to the Oregon border. If there needs to be ONE highway that should be on the CalTrans to do list, its that one. I-15 is currently getting expanded to 6 lanes, but that could also use some major work.
Yes, I-5 needs three lanes in each direction between Seattle and Portland. And has needed it for years. For the most part, this exists for most of the route. The Chehalis-South Olympia is the last stretch to be widened. Work is being done, albeit slowly.

I will agree with 520. There is a replacement plan, but transportation and/or government tend to be quite slow with these projects. The new bridge will be slightly larger than the old bridge, but not enough IMO to make a difference. It will be quake-safer, which seems to be a more important goal than capacity.

As for California, I recently drove I-80 west of Reno over the Sierra mountains. Not sure how long they have been working on that, but in July 2010, it was terrible. Not even a hint that progress was being made. I understand CA's financial problems, but this was the worst stretch of road construction I have witnessed in recent years. Hopefully, this project will step up.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:00 PM

16,741 posts, read 23,191,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I agree, but a few of them are pretty easy going, such as I-395 and I-384. Those rarely get congested. Also, Route 11 is dead. You can be on it and see no cars for a mile ahead and behind you.
Never been on either of those so I have no idea. Nearly all the other highways in the western two thirds of CT are a traffic mess, though (84, 95, 91, 7, 8, 15). You're lucky if you're moving during rush hour, and during the midday hours, you're lucky if you're going the speed limit.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:34 PM

3,733 posts, read 6,488,029 times
I-5 through Seattle, from Georgetown, through Downtown, to the ship canal bridge, from the U-District to Northgate. Horrible, horrible traffic at rush hour. Through downtown Seattle at any time of day can get bad!

I-5 from Fife to Fort Lewis can be pretty bad too, especially going through Tacoma.

Seattle's other interstate, I-90, I've only ever seen backed up through Bellevue, and not horribly backed up, either.

Old 08-28-2010, 01:17 PM

3,733 posts, read 6,488,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
In Pacific Northwest, I-90 between Cle Elum WA and Hyak ski area.
I have only ever seen this backed up at the end of holiday weekends. Then again it's not like I'm over that way all the time, but still have had absolutely no problems on this stretch of interstate outside of holiday weekends.

Old 08-28-2010, 06:18 PM

3,970 posts, read 11,842,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
I have only ever seen this backed up at the end of holiday weekends. Then again it's not like I'm over that way all the time, but still have had absolutely no problems on this stretch of interstate outside of holiday weekends.
You make a good point...backups are rare on this stretch, but that being said, it is a choke point when bad weather hits, (which is often). WSDOT proposed a major makeover of this stretch a few years ago, complete with wildlife crossings, safety imrovements, and better shoulders. Not sure where that stands now, what with the lack of funds, but eventuallly this stretch will be improved. Increasing population in the area might also influence this. I-90 has progressively been improved over the past decades, but mainly west of Snoqualmie Pass. I think this is just a natural extension of those improvements. I have no problem with that. Road improvements that end at the Cascade crest create bad feelings between the West and East in WA.

I might add there have been some very good highway projects in Eastern WA in recent years. The 395 from the Tri-Cities to Sprague (I-90), is now all basically freeway. There is also a new N/S freeway under construction in Spokane that connects with the aforementioned 395. Big improvements in Spokane County.

Old 08-29-2010, 02:32 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,119,659 times
One section I remember being congested during weekends is I-75 between Macon and Atlanta. It is currently 6 lanes but might have to go to 8 to deal with traffic splitting at Macon between the GA coast and Florida. There is also a nasty congestion point around I-75 and I-675 in the Southern suburbs of Atlanta most of the time.

Old 08-29-2010, 06:04 PM

5,530 posts, read 10,148,967 times
Can the state of Georgia seriously get any more federal funds for roads? It seems like building freeways they way they have and expanding them has just caused more harm than goood!

Old 08-29-2010, 08:12 PM

8,628 posts, read 13,903,359 times
Try I-75 between Detroit and Toledo...may hold the record.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:22 PM

5,530 posts, read 10,148,967 times
Record for what -- freight? I always think that Toledo is the epicenter of freight distribution, but does it have a lot of distribution centers that can take advantage of its location between NYC and Chicago, Canada and the USA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.