Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 06:21 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,215,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgyeldell View Post
I-85 in NC and SC between Kings Mountain(CLT Metro) and Gaffney(SPT Metro) driving 45 miles a hour for 40 miles is Mind numbing. 3 Lanes each way would help out,
Traffic in general on I-85 from Durham down to and within metro Atlanta is loaded with traffic. The traffic is especially congested on weekends from around Greensboro southbound all the way to Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 07:35 PM

840 posts, read 2,085,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Traffic in general on I-85 from Durham down to and within metro Atlanta is loaded with traffic. The traffic is especially congested on weekends from around Greensboro southbound all the way to Atlanta.
I havent been North of Charlotte in Years(Sad I know), But I remember as a Child traffic on 85/40 was horrid, and 85 between Salisbury and Greensboro, would make my G'ma cry. I know the only non congested Interstate in NC is really 95 because it doesnt connect more than one Major City it barely goes thru Fayetteville.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:38 PM

21,616 posts, read 31,180,666 times
I'm surprised you forgot one of the busiest and congested highways in the country - 95 between New Haven and NYC.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:55 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I'm surprised you forgot one of the busiest and congested highways in the country - 95 between New Haven and NYC.
I've never been on that part of I-95, so I wouldn't know.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:32 PM

894 posts, read 2,314,193 times
In Virginia, i81 desperately needs to be widened. All the big rigs use this interstate to avoid the congestion on i95. Barely a week goes through without hearing of an accident involving a truck. In the eastern part of the state, i64 between Richmond and the Hampton Roads area is in terrible need of widening. Everytime I'm on it traffic is massively congested and will go from 80mph to 40 and back up to 80 with no real reason, or come to a grinding halt. It can get very stressful.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:09 PM

608 posts, read 1,346,121 times
For me:

I-44 (Mo) The worst interstate I have ever been on.
I-10 (Miss) Why is it ALWAYS backed up?
I-95 (SC) Yes it sucks being 2 lanes, and it will never increase
I-95 (NY/CT) The only reason why I take the Merritt
I-81 (VA) Ok, a 2 lane NAFTA highway for trucks in the middle of the Mountains...enough said
I-35 (TX) Specifically Austin. This is the worst traffic I have ever seen in my life. Worse than NYC and the Mo-Pac aint much better.
I-Anything (CA) You people just plain nuts out there
I-76 (PA) They don't call it the School-KILL for nothing
I-95 (DE) During the Summer when you merge the Philly traffic and the NY/NJ traffic...forget it
I-95 (VA) Forget about the DC traffic. Ever try getting south of Richmond on a summer Friday night?
I-17 (AZ) Ok, in 200 miles you go from the desert floor to 7000 feet. You have 2 lanes, thousand foot drops, runaway truck ramps, and trucks that inch by at 10-20 m.p.h.
I-10 (LA) Dont get stuck in the bayou on a foggy rainy hurricane night.
I-91/84 (CT) I don't know if they have yet, but it seems like they have been fixing that intersection forever.

MY vote for the BEST interstate:

I-95 (RI) Providence in the middle of the night when you have all 12 lanes to yourself!

Old 08-16-2010, 01:06 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,480,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrgy View Post
For me:

I-44 (Mo) The worst interstate I have ever been on.
I-10 (Miss) Why is it ALWAYS backed up?
I-95 (SC) Yes it sucks being 2 lanes, and it will never increase
I-95 (NY/CT) The only reason why I take the Merritt
I-81 (VA) Ok, a 2 lane NAFTA highway for trucks in the middle of the Mountains...enough said
I-35 (TX) Specifically Austin. This is the worst traffic I have ever seen in my life. Worse than NYC and the Mo-Pac aint much better.
I-Anything (CA) You people just plain nuts out there
I-76 (PA) They don't call it the School-KILL for nothing
I-95 (DE) During the Summer when you merge the Philly traffic and the NY/NJ traffic...forget it
I-95 (VA) Forget about the DC traffic. Ever try getting south of Richmond on a summer Friday night?
I-17 (AZ) Ok, in 200 miles you go from the desert floor to 7000 feet. You have 2 lanes, thousand foot drops, runaway truck ramps, and trucks that inch by at 10-20 m.p.h.
I-10 (LA) Dont get stuck in the bayou on a foggy rainy hurricane night.
I-91/84 (CT) I don't know if they have yet, but it seems like they have been fixing that intersection forever.

MY vote for the BEST interstate:

I-95 (RI) Providence in the middle of the night when you have all 12 lanes to yourself!
Exactly, I-10 should be getting the same treatment as I-75 and I-85

Old 08-17-2010, 04:42 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,118,347 times
None. People need to walk and bike more and rely on the interstates less for their daily commutes. This necessitates living closer to work.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:58 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,516,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
None. People need to walk and bike more and rely on the interstates less for their daily commutes. This necessitates living closer to work.
This isn't talking about metro area interstates. This is more relating to rural stretches of interstates that have problems largely due to truck travel.

I don't think people can really plan on living close to work anymore due to people changing their jobs so often. That and two income households likely means the two people work in different areas. That and many workplaces have few housing options near the place of employment, often the places are either too rundown or too expensive.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:00 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialmog View Post
This isn't talking about metro area interstates. This is more relating to rural stretches of interstates that have problems largely due to truck travel.

I don't think people can really plan on living close to work anymore due to people changing their jobs so often. That and two income households likely means the two people work in different areas. That and many workplaces have few housing options near the place of employment, often the places are either too rundown or too expensive.
It can include urban Interstates. For example, I-76 in Philadelphia and I-376 in Pittsburgh are too constricted for cities their size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.