U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2010, 02:49 AM

13 posts, read 27,670 times

Advertisements

I'm going home soon! Going back to the USA, that is! After living overseas since I was a kid (blame it on my expat parents) so anyway, I'm young, just divorced, I have a great 9-year-old son, and I really need help on deciding WHERE in the USA to start a new beginning, with my boy.

I don't "have" to settle for any state, since I won't be working. I will just be receiving money. Although, I am a writer my profession, and have a recently released book, and will continue to write, my point is- I am not tied to a company or a job. Therefore, I am completely FREE to choose anywhere to live! Now it's just down to the business of choosing a city in a state wherein I am sure my son and I can start new beginnings and be really happy.

I have family in MD. I don't want to live there because the cost of living is too high and the crime rate is too high.

I have family in VA but I am just not sure if anything is going on in VA?

I have family in Ohio, but Ohio feels.....flat....??? Or I could be wrong!!!????

I have family in SC but I don't know anything about SC.

And, you may call me a bit of an explorer/adventurer type. I have no problems with "staking out my land" and claiming my area! I could just live where I have no family, as long as it's a place that will make us happy!

What I look for are the following:

1. a safe place for my son and I

2. a place where there are a lot of people I can see, I get depressed if I can't see people or see any form of life and living going on

3. a place where I can walk to everything, all the time, like I love to walk everywhere all the time, in Europe, I want a place which will remind me of Europe

4. a place where I could meet a potential partner

5. a place where I could quickly make true friends (I will really need to build true friendships moving to a new country and starting a new life

6. a place where people are non-judgmental and open-minded (like the Europeans)

7. a place with good quality of education for my son and a lot of recreational activities he would enjoy, too

8. did I already mention a low cost of living? affordable rent, affordable groceries, and etc?

pointers: My boy wants snow in the winter. So snow isn't bad. Although, I do want sunshine when it's supposed to be shining. A lot of it, too.

So, my dear wonderful ones, I am counting on your help here.... what City, in what State, and tell me- why. What are your reasons why? Kindly explain.

I have been searching for weeks, and am about to go crazy- I need input from people! I would appreciate any and all help! Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 04:47 PM

87 posts, read 317,086 times
I live in Northern KY, just south of Cincinnati, Ohio. Trust me, Cincinnati...in fact all of Southern Ohio, is not flat.

I wouldn't necessarily move to the city...the school district isn't the best...but some of the Cincinnati suburbs has pretty good schools. Greater Cincinnati is pretty safe, and most people who live here are open-minded and will treat you fairly.

And we have all four seasons...as well as snow.

Old 08-11-2010, 01:59 PM

56,638 posts, read 80,952,685 times
Perhaps Pittsburgh......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or