Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2010, 06:12 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,134,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob702 View Post
I haven't heard anyone besides Wisconsinites say "bubbler" for drinking fountain.
It's also used in parts of New England, mostly eastern Massachusetts and Rhode Island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 10:12 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,890,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob702 View Post
I haven't heard anyone besides Wisconsinites say "bubbler" for drinking fountain.
first they steal cranberries, and now this?

Old 08-18-2010, 10:15 PM

11,327 posts, read 20,247,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Nelly made AF1's popular with his hit song titled the same name.

He was from the South (Austin, Texas to be exact), not NY.
Yes I remember that song, Nelly may have put the rest of the country on to them but they were already popular throughout NY/NJ iirc. They were like the official sneaker of NY, known as Uptowns.

They're not worn anymore, havent seen them in years, I had my last pair about 6-8 years ago.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:30 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,753,666 times
NJ:

"down the shore" = to or at the beach
"Taylor Ham" = a delicious pork product, aka "pork roll", used in the best breakfast sandwich
"buttered roll" = a kaiser roll with butter used for a simple, cheap, and tasty breakfast.
"jughandle" = a road pattern that keeps roads clear of left-turning vehicles and makes roads safer
"A.C." = commonly understood as Atlantic City (in context)
"stunad" = a stupid person
"capicola" = an Italian deli meat, known to most of the country by Tony Soprano's mentioning it, and they think it's spelled as he pronounces it, "gobbagool", but we know better in NJ
"boardwalk" = a beachside walking path made of actual wooden boards
"full serve only" = how you get gasoline in NJ
"Grease trucks" = famous food trucks at Rutgers University
"Fat Cat" or "Fat Menu" = a variety of overstuffed sandwiches invented and sold by the Grease Trucks and other eateries at Rutgers U.
"Jersey Devil" = a mythical (???) creature who roams the Pine Barrens
"Piney" = a person who lives in the Pine Barrens
"Benny" = what locals a NY or North Jersey resident who visits the northern Jersey Shore
"Shooby" = what locals call a Philly or South Jersey resident who visits the southern Jersey Shore
"all the way" = a deep-fried hot dog with chili (greek style), onions, and mustard
"Jackson Whites" = hillbillies who are descendants of Dutch, Hessians, freed/runaway slaves, and native Americans who live in the hills in Northern Bergen and Passaic counties, a mere 30 miles or so away from Manhattan, who are scarcely known to anyone outside NJ

Old 08-19-2010, 01:49 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,438,209 times
ALLIGATOR PEAR - Avocado.

AWRITE - The appropriate response to the greeting "Where y'at?" Also, a greeting in and of itself: "Awrite, Ed!"

BACKATOWN - (i.e., "back of town") in direction toward the section of New Orleans from the River to North Claiborne. "I'm headed backatown"

BANQUETTE - The sidewalk. Pronounced <BANK-it>. Usage fairly rare nowadays.

BAT'TROOM - A room in the house where one doesn't find bats, but where one bathes, attends to the elimination of bodily waste, or locks oneself in and cries until one gets one's way.

BERL - To cook by surrounding something in hot, bubbling 212°F liquid; the preferred method for cooking shellfish.

BINHAVIN - To have had something for a long time, as in ... Q: "How long ya had dat dress? A: "Oh, I binhavin dat."

BINLOOKIN - To have searched for something for a long time, as in "I binlookin f'dat book."

BRA - A form of address for men, usually one with whom you are not acquainted. Usually used in this manner: "Say, bra ..." Ostensibly an abbreviation for "brother."
"Say bra, what time da midnight movie starts?"

BRAKE TAG - An inspection sticker on your car.

CAP - A form of address for men, usually ones with whom you are not acquainted. Women generally do not use this term. See also PODNA and BRA.

CUSH-CUSH, KUSH-KUSH, COUCHE-COUCHE - An old French/Cajun breakfast dish my grandmother used to prepare. The words rhyme with "push", and it is prepared by browning or searing cornmeal in an oil glazed pot till light brown, then served hot with sugar and milk in a bowl, just like cereal.

DRESSED - When ordering a sandwich, "dressed" indicates lettuce, tomatoes, pickles and MYNEZ, on it.

EARL, ERL - oil

ESPLANADE - Walkway. The street name is pronounced <es'-pl@-NADE>, and the last syllable rhymes with "raid", not "rod".

FAUBOURG - A suburb or outlying neighborhood, as in Faubourg Marigny. Usually pronounced <FO-berg> by natives.

FLYIN' HORSES - Accented on the first syllable. A merry-go-round, sometimes specifically describing the merry-go-round in City Park, but also used in general. I've never heard this term used outside of New Orleans to describe a merry-go-round or carousel.

FOR - a preposition used by New Orleanians instead of "at" or "by" when referring to time. E.g., "Da parade's for 7:00, but we betta get dere for 6 if we wanna find pawkin'." This one tends to be particularly confusing to non-natives.

FRONATOWN - (i.e., "front of town) in direction toward the area from North Claiborne to the No. Broad St. and beyond, up to Bayou St. John, particularly if you walked "northwesterly" on Orleans Ave.

F'TRUE - Pronounced <f@-TROO>. When phrased as a question, it means "Is that so?" or "Ya kiddin'!!". When phrased as a statement, it's an affirmation, a shortened version of "Nuh uh, I ain't lyin' ta ya ..."

GO CUP/GEAUX CUP - A paper or plastic cup for consumption of alcoholic beverages out on the street, as open glass containers (and cans too, I think) are illegal. Many non-New Orleanians are astonished that we can drink out on the street in go cups.

GOUT - Pronounced <GOO>. French for "taste." Usually applied to coffee. As in, "You want a little gout?" Mostly old people are the only ones still saying this.

GRIP - A small suitcase, usually not a hard-shell one, more like a schoolbag or an overnight bag. Other locals have used this to refer to all types of suitcases. "Don't fo'get ya grip!", says ya mamma, as you're leaving the house.

GRIPPE - The flu.

GRIS-GRIS - Pronounced <GREE-GREE>. Noun, A (voodoo) spell. Can be applied for nefarious purposes ("to put a gris-gris on someone"), or as a force to ward off evil, like wearing a gris-gris bag (the folks at the Voodoo Shop on Dumaine will make one to order for about $20).

HICKEY - A knot or bump you get on your head when you bump or injure your head. Everywhere else in the world a hickey is what you get on your neck after necking. Not in New Orleans. See PASSION MARK.

HOUSE COAT 'N CURLAS - The preferred dress for women while shopping at Schwegmann's.

HUCK-A-BUCKS/HUCKLE-BUCKS - Frozen Kool-Aid in a Dixie cup.

LAGNIAPPE - Pronounced <LAN-yap>. A little something extra.

LOOKA - The imperative case of the verb "to look". Usually accompanied by a pointing gesture. Often used as a single exclamation: "Looka!"

MARRAINE - Pronounced <MAH-ran>. Your godmother.

MAW-MAW - Ya grandma.

MIRLITON - A vegetable pear or chayote squash, which grows wild in Louisiana and in backyards throughout New Orleans. Pronounced <MEL-lee-tawn>, and wonderful when stuffed with shrimp and ham Bayou St. John, particularly if you walked "northwesterly"dressing ... have a look at the recipe.

MUFFULETTA - A quintessential New Orleans Italian sancwich, of ham, Genoa salami, mortadella, Provolone cheese and marinated olive salad on a round seeded Italian loaf. Invented at Central Grocery on Decatur in da Quarter. Locals pronounce this <muff-@-LOT-@>, and will tend to just abbreviate it as "muff". But if you ask a member of the Tusa family (the proprietors of Central), they'll pronounce it in elegantly proper Italian as <moo-foo-LET-ta>.

MYNEZ - Mayonnaise.

NEUTRAL GROUND - The grassy or cement strip in the middle of the road. The terms "median" and/or "island" are NEVER used in New Orleans. Use of one of those foreign terms instead of "neutral ground" is a dead giveaway that you ain't from around here, or anywhere close. If you're lucky, you live on a street with a neutral ground big enough to play football on.

PARRAINE - Pronounced <PAH-ran>. Your godfather.

PASSION MARK - The little red mark you get on your neck (or elsewhere) after a passionate session of necking. Called a "hickey" or a "love bite" everywhere else, apparently. Pronounced <PASH'n mawk>, of course.

PO-BOY - The quintessential New Orleans lunch, a sandwich on good, crispy New Orleans French bread. This definition doesn't begin to describe what a po-boy is all about, so if you really don't know you need to get one soon. Take a moment to read a little bit about po-boys.

PODNA - A form of address for men, usually for ones with whom one is not acquainted. Frequently used in the emphatic statement, "I tell you what, podna ..."

PRALINE - A sugary Creole candy, invented in New Orleans (not the same as the French culinary/confectionery term "praline" or "praliné") The classic version is made with sugar, brown sugar, butter, vanilla and pecans, and is a flat sugary pecan-filled disk. Yummmmm. There are also creamy pralines, chocolate pralines, maple pralines, etc. Pecan pralines are the classic, though. It is ***N O T*** pronounced <PRAY-leen>. It is pronounced <PRAH-leen>. Got it? Good.

SCHWEGMANN'S BAG - A unit of measurement. Approximately 3 cubic feet. Derived from local icon Schwegmann Brothers Giant Supermarkets, who until recently had absolutely enormous paper bags in which they packed ya groceries. (Now they have those stupid tiny flimsy plastic bags just like everyone else.) Usage: "Hey, did ya catch a lot at da parade?" "Yeah you rite ... a whole Schwegmann bag full!" The apostrophe-s is optional.

SHOOT-DA-CHUTE - A playground slide.

THE SHOW - The cinema. The movie house. The local motion picture emporium. Where works of cinematic art (or crappy flicks, depending) are shown. True New Orleanians never say, "I went to the movies", they say "I went to da show."

SILVER DIME - A small coin of U.S. currency, worth ten cents. Always pronounced with the emphasis on the first syllable, <SIL-vah dime>, even though they haven't been made of actual silver for over 35 years.

SKEETA HAWK - Or, "mosquito hawk", the local name for a dragonfly. I'm not sure if this is particular to New Orleans only, but since moving away I have never heard anyone else use the term.

STOOP - Usually expressed as "da stoop". The front steps to your house, particularly if it's a shotgun duplex. What ya go out and sit on to chat wit'ya neighbas (an' ta keep an eye on 'em). An example, (partially taken from a Bunny Matthews' "F'Sure!") strip:
"Turn on da A.C., Victa."
"Nuh uh, it ain't hot enough, it's still May. Let's go out and sit on da stoop."

"THROW ME SOMETHIN, MISTA!" - The traditional (nay, required) request of a Mardi Gras paradegoer to a Mardi Gras parade rider, so that the rider will shower said paradegoer with cheap trinkets like beads, doubloons or cups (actually, the cups are highly coveted, more so than the doubloons are these days, apparently).

TURLET - Ya standard flushable porcelain waste disposal unit found in every bat'troom, referred to by English speakers as a "toilet".

UPTOWN SIDE, DOWNTOWN SIDE, LAKESIDE, RIVERSIDE - The four cardinal points of the New Orleanian compass. "North, south, east, west" do not work in New Orleans.
"It's the first house on the uptown side of Napoleon on the lakeside of South Broad" translated: "It's the first house on the left at Napoleon and S. Broad if you're heading north"

VALISE - Suitcase.

WRENCH - To clean something under running water. "Aw baby, ya hands 'r filthy! Go wrench 'em off in da zink." See ZINK.

ZINK - A receptacle for water with a drain and faucets. Where ya wrench off ya dishes or ya hands. See WRENCH.

Copy and pasted from How ta tawk rite
This is a general guide to the dialect spoken by native white New Orleanians. Native Black/Hispanic dialects are similar, but have more Caribbeab/Spanish influence depending on ethnicity/race.

Last edited by WestbankNOLA; 08-19-2010 at 02:23 AM..

Old 08-19-2010, 06:00 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,230,017 times
Schwegmann's a grocery store or maybe a soap opera, perhaps both.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:31 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,695,075 times
we should post youtube videos...
i really wanna see/hear some of this slang in action.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:21 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,803,857 times
Quote:
Nelly made AF1's popular with his hit song titled the same name.

He was from the South (Austin, Texas to be exact), not NY.
air force ones were popular before that song came out. and nelly is from saint louis. not austin

Old 08-19-2010, 11:29 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,527,066 times
Quote:
We call beer here in Texas suds.
Maybe that's an East Texas thing?

Old 08-19-2010, 12:02 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,438,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SacalaitWhisperer View Post
Schwegmann's a grocery store or maybe a soap opera, perhaps both.
Definitely both!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
air force ones were popular before that song came out. and nelly is from saint louis. not austin
On that note, Air Force One's are called "G-Nikes" in Southeast Louisiana. The Nikes is pronounced like bikes wit an N and not Ni-Kee.

To whoever said that Nelly made G-Nikes (Air Force 1s, AF-1s, Forces, Uptown's. etc.).. These shoes have been around since the mid 80's (I want to say '82) and are just now losing popularity over the last 3 years. I rarely see them on the street now in N.O.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.