Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 11:20 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,308,333 times

Advertisements

What are some words you only hear in your state? Here in Iowa, when you go to the grocery store, they ask if you want a "sack". I lived in Minnesota for a long time and I had never heard anybody refer to a grocery bag as a '"sack"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 11:36 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,172,180 times
CA: Totally, gnarly, dude, awesome, for sure, sweet, like, bro, rad, dope, right on, sick, whatever, chill.

and the most horrible words forbidden to be said in Southern California is hella and hecka.(only Northern California)

Old 08-11-2010, 11:47 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,814,516 times
I'm pretty sure all states say "I'm going to the beach" - It's only the vast majority of people from NJ that says "I'm going down the shore"

Old 08-11-2010, 11:49 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,308,333 times
Living in the Upper Midwest(Minnesota, Wisconsin, North Dakota etc), I started using the word "supper" for dinner. It is something that is uniquely characteristic of this part of the country and most states do not use the word supper, actually I think it sounds pretty old fashioned!

A "supper club" is another concept that is unique to the Upper Midwest, I tried to find a definition of a "supper club" and this is what I came up with, pretty interesting!

Supper Club in United States is an American dining establishment generally found in the Upper Midwestern states of Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Michigan. These establishments typically are located on the edge of town in rural areas [1]. They were traditionally thought of as a “destination” where patrons would go to spend the whole evening, from cocktail hour to enjoying night club style entertainment after dinner [2]. They feature a casual and relaxed atmosphere [2]

Old 08-11-2010, 11:51 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
TEXAS:

Ya'll - You all

Fixin' to - About to

Git er done - Get it done

Old 08-12-2010, 12:06 AM

2,257 posts, read 8,171,291 times
These aren't specific to NH but to New England in general (some more confined than others):

wicked (as in, "it's wicked cold outside")
grinder (sub sandwich)
candlepin (special type of bowling)
rotary (traffic circle)
jimmies (ice cream sprinkles)
frappe (milkshake)
Cumbie's (for Cumberland Farms convenience stores)
scrod (meat of small cod)
bulkhead (outside entrance to the cellar)
notch (a mountain pass)
leaf peeper (someone who comes to see the fall foliage)
cruller (stick-shaped doughnut)
Fluffernutter (peanut butter and Fluff sandwich)
flatlander (someone "from away," particularly coastal southern New England; used esp. in northern New England)
pisser ("awesome", esp. eastern MA & RI)
parlor (living room, esp. eastern MA)
packie / package store (liquor store, esp. eastern MA)
elastic (rubber band, esp. eastern MA & RI)
bubbler (water fountain, esp. eastern MA & RI)
Hoodsie (small cup of ice cream with a wooden spoon sold by Hood, esp. eastern MA)
dooryard (driveway, esp. ME & northern NH)
tonic (soda, esp. Boston)
Cabbage Night (night before Halloween, esp. VT)

Old 08-12-2010, 12:07 AM

2,257 posts, read 8,171,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Living in the Upper Midwest(Minnesota, Wisconsin, North Dakota etc), I started using the word "supper" for dinner. It is something that is uniquely characteristic of this part of the country and most states do not use the word supper, actually I think it sounds pretty old fashioned!
Here in New England, it is very common to hear "supper" used in place of "dinner." I always use "supper" unless I'm talking about a meal at a restaurant or with lots of guests.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:28 AM

1,214 posts, read 2,519,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBrad View Post
CA: Totally, gnarly, dude, awesome, for sure, sweet, like, bro, rad, dope, right on, sick, whatever, chill.

and the most horrible words forbidden to be said in Southern California is hella and hecka.(only Northern California)
All the first ones you mentioned are probably used everywhere I think, cause they're all definitely used here lol. Glad those other two aren't used in many other places though, just sounds so stupid to me. I know, everybody's slang sounds stupid to everyone else lol.

Around here, my favorite is wicked, I've been using it forever, I swear I musta made it up lol. Oh, there's an interesting one, how many people say things like, musta, wanna, gonna, shoulda, coulda, woulda, alotta, and stuff like that? One thing that annoys me when I go to school up in Mass, they say whereabouts instead of from where or where in certain cases. I notice alotta differences between just MA and CT at school, small things, I can't really think of specifics right now lol.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:39 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,172,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
All the first ones you mentioned are probably used everywhere I think, cause they're all definitely used here lol. Glad those other two aren't used in many other places though, just sounds so stupid to me. I know, everybody's slang sounds stupid to everyone else lol.
lol.
no the words I mentioned were started in California and spread. Those words are how other states know we're from California and those words are part of out Cali culture.

The last two words are really dumb words that thankfully are only used in Northern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post

Around here, my favorite is wicked, I've been using it forever, I swear I musta made it up lol. Oh, there's an interesting one, how many people say things like, musta, wanna, gonna, shoulda, coulda, woulda, alotta, and stuff like that? One thing that annoys me when I go to school up in Mass, they say whereabouts instead of from where or where in certain cases. I notice alotta differences between just MA and CT at school, small things, I can't really think of specifics right now lol.
lol my friend from Mass uses wicked. I admit I've started using it too

Last edited by BacktoBlue; 08-12-2010 at 12:49 AM..

Old 08-12-2010, 12:59 AM
JBM

567 posts, read 1,098,458 times
New Mexico:

sopaipilla (delicious pastry)

Arroyo (like a wash)

Bosque (forests along the rivers)

Portal (a 'porch' of a building, like the front of the Palace of the Governors)

Horno (an outdoor adobe oven)

Bizcochito (a cookie)

the phrase "Red or Green?" at restaurants, referring to our magnificent chile

"rio" is often used instead of "river," such as Rio Pecos instead of Pecos River

I've also noticed that Piñon is also largely a New Mexican thing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.