Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 04:28 PM

993 posts, read 1,767,118 times

Advertisements

I know this thread is pretty old, but if you are wondering about the reservations in the Dakotas, I have one piece of advice for you: stay away. They are honestly terrible, depressing places on absolute s*** land. They are incredibly poor and sad. If you want to learn about the Lakota/Sioux culture, visit museums like the Journey Museum in Rapid City. Avoid the reservation itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 12:30 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Here is a map which might help answer the general question (just press the "plus" icon to "pan out" larger):

http://www.nps.gov/NAGPRA/DOCUMENTS/RESERV.PDF

Old 12-03-2013, 11:12 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,811,816 times
The Navajo nation around the Four Corners or states like NM or AZ. If you happen to come to this part of the country, I'd recommend stopping by the cliff-dwelling settlement in SW Colorado. One of the coolest things to see.

Old 12-04-2013, 05:59 PM

765 posts, read 898,545 times
Seattle and Vancouver for sure! Most natives here live on their tribal land and you will see them sometimes but more so their culture is ingrained in our own and it is very apparent. There are also places you can go such as Tillicum Village on Blake Island in the Puget Sound to experience the old Salish tribe.

Old 12-05-2013, 03:02 AM

191 posts, read 262,546 times
On a couch with a glass of iced tea in my hand.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Old 12-05-2013, 06:13 AM

793 posts, read 1,111,769 times
I would definitely recommend Oklahoma! Here is a map of the tribes of Oklahoma, all which used to be reservations but are now Tribal Statistical Areas (exception being the Osage Nation, which is still and Oklahoma's only reservation). Many, if not all of the tribes have their own cultural centers and various cultural events. I'm mostly Choctaw (also Navajo and Cherokee) and grew up in the Choctaw Nation.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:08 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Yet another great place for a visit for learning and understanding Native Americans is the Eastern Cherokee Indian Reservation located in the Great Smoky Mts area of western North Carolina. Many years ago I was fortunate enough to visit there and they provided a wonderful overview of their history and culture of the Cherokee Nation and it’s people.
Agreed. I visited Cherokee on my visit to Asheville this past Summer and really enjoyed it.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:15 AM

93,292 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Exactly and they like to call themselves Haudenosaunee which means "People of the Longhouse".

Syracuse, Niagara Falls and Buffalo have their share of urban Native Americans too. Kids go to schools in school districts like Salmon River, Massena, LaFayette, Onondaga Central, Silver Creek, Salamanca, Akron and Niagara-Wheatfield, among some others.
Onondaga Nation - People of the Hills

Onondaga Redhawks Lacrosse | Tsha'hon'nonyen'dukhwa' - Onondaga Nation Arena

LaFayette School District

Haudenosaunee (People of the Long House) - YouTube

The Haudenosaunee

Old 12-05-2013, 11:29 AM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,707,362 times
A Washington Redskins tailgate party?

Old 12-05-2013, 02:22 PM

1,485 posts, read 2,251,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC01 View Post
I know this thread is pretty old, but if you are wondering about the reservations in the Dakotas, I have one piece of advice for you: stay away. They are honestly terrible, depressing places on absolute s*** land. They are incredibly poor and sad. If you want to learn about the Lakota/Sioux culture, visit museums like the Journey Museum in Rapid City. Avoid the reservation itself.
This. The Dakota and Lakota people got absolutely screwed by Uncle Sam. The reservations in South Dakota (both eastern and western part) make the Mississippi Delta look like the Ritz.

If you want relatively un-Americanized Native culture, try Alaska. There are still parts of the state where Inuit go on whale hunts and such. I'm not sure if you're allowed to visit their villages or not (never tried), but it is a place where the natives have much more in common culturally with their ancestors than many in the Lower 48 do. Aside from that, the Navajo in the Southwest would probably be your next best bet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.