U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 09:26 PM

802 posts, read 2,609,633 times

Advertisements

It seems like we have a lot of transplants here and after reading some opinions of places around the boards, I got to wondering...If you could simply uproot you and yours right now, what place would you plunk down and be content with for the rest of your life?

I would pick the Tarpon Springs/Dunedin area of Florida. The small town/village feel of that area is very therapeutic. I was born and raised by the ocean and if I don't visit often, get sick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2006, 11:24 PM

679 posts, read 2,607,791 times
I know where I would love to go if all my family relocated with me: an ocean front property in Panama or Costa Rica. Which ever one is safest.

Old 08-13-2006, 12:35 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,557,800 times
Costa Rica would almost assuredly be the safer of the two.It is also one of the few,if not the only,countries without a military.

For me it would be the Inside Passage area of Alaska.

Excellent thread,although it might get more attention on the main board.

Old 08-13-2006, 08:13 AM

4,659 posts, read 15,778,891 times
RIght where we're at now, southeast Idaho

Old 08-13-2006, 01:09 PM

6,764 posts, read 19,759,993 times
I'd love to live outside a 'decent sized city' but far enough away so I could be in the woods and have a few acres of my own. I'd like some 'culture' to be in a few miles distance, and good schools.

I don't want to pay a ridiculous amount of money for that.

Old 08-13-2006, 02:22 PM

2,814 posts, read 12,074,093 times
Default Try Southwest Missouri GypsySoul22

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22
I'd love to live outside a 'decent sized city' but far enough away so I could be in the woods and have a few acres of my own. I'd like some 'culture' to be in a few miles distance, and good schools.

I don't want to pay a ridiculous amount of money for that.
I live on 4.3 acres, half of which is forested, half of which is like a park with scattered oak and hickory trees dotting rolling green lawns, a long paved driveway leading from the farm road I live off of, a 2300 sq. ft. house brick custom built house with a deck that runs the length of the house in back with built-in seating and lighting, a bbq grill which looks southward toward the forest, 3 car garage (huge cavernous garage with storage room galore), huge rooms, 3 bedrooms, 2.5 bathrooms, all tiled, 12 ft. ceilings with architectural barrel, cathedral, and step-set details depending on the room, 12 ft. paned windows in the dining room and one front bedroom with arched windows above them, and fenced perimeter with a closed off chicken yard with a henhouse. I also live about 10 miles from Missouri's third largest city of Springfield which has 153,000 residents, all the major stores, good shopping, live theater, a revitalized downtown centered around a 19th Century town square with coffee shops, restaurants, boutiques, etc., and I'm about 8 miles from the major highway in Southern Missouri which ties Tulsa and Oklahoma City to St. Louis. This house on this property is set in an area of similar homes on acreage with patches of forest separated by open countryside with horses and cows and dotted farms. And, I'm bordered by some of the nicest and friendliest people to walk the earth. If I shouted "Death to America", I'd be lynched. Patriotism is strong here and the American flag is respected...which is exactly what I wanted. To buy this in California would easily be $1million plus. To find this on Long Island...I'd hate to think of the prices. Here, in January, I paid $227,000... THAT'S IT!! Taxes are low here too Look up Springfield, Missouri and the southwest Missouri area. It's not hick like people think....though...I certainly found that element about 35 miles south in Branson!!

Old 08-13-2006, 03:19 PM

2,098 posts, read 5,875,056 times
If I had the money, I'd buy my own frggn island and move only the people I like. In reality however, anywhere that isn't NJ is probably better, but I'm thinking more along the lines of New England somewhere.

Old 08-14-2006, 10:36 AM

262 posts, read 1,902,674 times
At the age I am now, I'm very happy where I am at in Annapolis, Maryland. If I had to choose some other place, I'd either hike across the bay to the MD Eastern shore or go the complete opposite direction, to a San Diego beach burb like La Jolla.

If it were for the rest of my life (retirement), I'd either stay in Annapolis or go to Naples, FL in the USA, and if I had my choice of anywhere in the world, it would probably be a small town in Scotland (great golf, serene, beautiful country, wouldn't have to learn a new language, enough major cities in the UK to visit on day trips, etc!)

Old 08-14-2006, 11:09 AM

956 posts, read 4,073,048 times
I live there.

I would just own instead of rent.

Old 08-14-2006, 06:22 PM

15,564 posts, read 36,555,561 times
I'm noticing while I'm checking out different cities that there seems to be a major consensus among people - they all hate Californians!!! I just want to let you all know that not all Californians are bad people. Not all of us are trying to come to your town and change your way of life. Gosh, from reading these forums I'm almost ashamed to be a Californian - yet I cannot help that I was born and raised here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or