U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 07:11 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,998,915 times

Advertisements

3/8th Filipino, 1/4th Scotch-Irish, 1/8th Spanish, 1/8th German, 1/8th Native American (Cherokee, Sioux, Chickahominy)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 06:09 PM

44 posts, read 76,752 times
Irish, German, English, Norwegian, Scottish, and possibly a small amount of French.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:39 PM

780 posts, read 1,486,739 times
My mother's family was originally from mainland Spain, my father's family from the Canary Islands. They emigrated to Cuba in the 1920's due to economic problems. My mom left Cuba in 1982 and lived in Venezuela for a while, ended up in Miami in 1991. My dad came to Miami in 1990. I was born here. That's as far as I can go, the rest is forever lost.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:30 AM

591 posts, read 746,969 times
Scottish, Irish (some of that black Irish, hence Spanish), Scots-Irish, Welsh, Swedish, Native American (just a smidgen). Interestingly the Welsh ancestors originally came from Scandinavia back some 500 years or so ago. Yes, I am a genealogy junkie, this has all been documented with family trees, etc.

Human migrations and language divergences fascinate me.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:17 AM

5,721 posts, read 9,086,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
Let's face it guys - we're all mutes :-) German, French, Spanish, other.
Please speak up. I can't hear you.

Swedish on my Mother's side. Most of my family still resides there.

Father's side is English, Irish and a bit of Swedish.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:28 AM

11,810 posts, read 18,796,055 times
Polish, Ukrainian, Croatian.

Old 07-30-2016, 04:21 PM

621 posts, read 216,059 times
Mother's Side:

Maternal Grandmother: French Canadian, Danish
Maternal Grandfather: French Canadian, Scottish

Father's Side:

Paternal Grandmother: Polish, German
Paternal Grandfather: English, Irish, German, French Canadian.

Even though I believe Im mostly French Canadian, I look Anglo White.

Old 08-01-2016, 01:44 PM

135 posts, read 131,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
This thread seems fun lol

My mom: African American, Haitian, West Indian (what is now Trinidad and Tabago) and Irish (long line of biracial black/irish mixtures)
My dad: African American, Chinese(grandmother was a 1/4), Choctaw Native American (grandfather was half)

Someone mentioned they were black irish...I've been asked if thats what my Irish part was, well until people see all the fair skin, blonde/green eyed, red/blonde haired AFRICAN AMERICAN lol family I have. But what exactly is black irish? I've heard it was free slaves of irish descent who were owned by Irish families but I'm not sure
Interestingly enough, while there was a good amount of Irish/African mixing happening mostly in the Caribbean, the term "Black Irish" has nothing to do with that. "Black Irish" refers to those Irish whose appearance/features more closely resemble the original inhabitants of Ireland, who (most likely) emigrated from the Iberian Peninsula near the end of the last ice age. So think Spanish features. Colin Farrell is kind of the poster child in modern times for these traits. One of my maternal great-grandfathers was "Black Irish" to a T, as were his parents who came to the US from Ireland. My dad's side is also mostly Irish, but look completely different - intensely bright blue eyes, wavy blonde/brown hair, etc.

Old 08-02-2016, 06:20 PM

6,060 posts, read 3,381,283 times
Cuban, by way of Spain, Portugal, France and India.

Old 02-22-2017, 03:15 AM

1,347 posts, read 2,001,418 times
I've done a lot of research on this off and on over the last 5 years (plus DNA testing my parents). My ancestors arrived in America was early as 1608 (Jamestown) and the last arrived in 1760 (from Ulster, Northern Ireland)

I have a Welsh surname (and I know my paternal line was from Wales), every other ancestor was either from England, Scotland, or were Scots who moved to what is now Northern Ireland before coming to America.

I was sort of surprised by how 'British' it all is but my family and ancestors were mostly either Tidewater Virginia people or lived in Appalachia and stayed there for the entire history of the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.