U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 04:43 PM

3,494 posts, read 4,388,230 times

Advertisements

German, English, Welsh, Irish, French, and possibly Spanish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2007, 06:02 PM

7,842 posts, read 12,360,444 times
My dad was born in China and my mom was born in Taiwan to grandparents who were born in China. In Taiwan these days there's a lot of ethnic politics around artificially-defined racial groups (Taiwanese are ethnically Chinese). Its confusing for me cause my family is ethnically Chinese but their original nationality was Taiwanese since they left China when the commie pinkos took over. But the Taiwanese people never really accepted people like my ancestors. I really don't know much about the racial politics of Taiwan and simply define myself as American and if people ask I'll say my background is Chinese but not the communist kind

Some other questions I find interesting....

My friend had me guess her ancestry once and I said "British" and I asked her like are you sure b/c that included English, Scottish, Welsh, and Northern Irish. She was very adamant in saying Scottish was not British and reminded me of William Wallace and all the Braveheart stuff and said that Scotland was invaded and taken over by England. But I thought British and English are different. Technically doesn't anyone with roots in any part of the modern UK have "British" ancestry regardless of who took over who? I mean Apaches and Navajos are not "whites" but they are Americans. Same to whatever Mexicans lived in California and Texas in the early 1800s before we acquired those lands. So what's wrong with saying a Scottish person is British? The Islamic terrorists who attacked Glasgow certainly don't make the distinction.

Some people here have mentioned being part Jewish. I have a few Jewish friends. Some of them say being is not a race and they claim to be white or mixed European while a minority says the Jews are a specific race (Hebrews) but many are mixed, the way most African Americans have at least one or white ancestors...this was brought up regarding Thomas Jefferson's black descendents in Virginia. But a LOT of Jewish people I know say it is possible to "look Jewish" but there are non-Jewish who "look Jewish" and Jews who don't. (Wasn't this a problem in Nazi Germany in defining who was who?) So are Jews really an ethnic group in addition to a religion?

Old 07-09-2007, 02:26 PM

702 posts, read 2,895,336 times
Bohemian. Bohemia used to be a part of Germany

Old 07-09-2007, 03:22 PM

134 posts, read 401,900 times
German/French/Scot-Irish/Cherokee

Old 07-12-2007, 01:31 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,760,402 times
3/4 Norwegian, 1/4 Swedish.

Old 07-19-2007, 11:57 AM

143 posts, read 388,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
I believe I read in Samuel Huntington's book on Immigration (I forget the name) that if immigration had ended after the Revolutionary War then this country would still have 150 million people in it (compared to the 300 million people of today). So while all of the immigrants in the 19th century & more recently have had a big impact, a lot of the original people are still here, its just that everyone's all mixed up these days and not that many people are 100% any ethnicity anymore.
"Who Are We? The Challenges to America's National Identity"

Old 07-22-2007, 08:09 AM

1,829 posts, read 2,984,730 times
I am the great granddaughter of West African slaves who were brought to America.

Old 07-22-2007, 08:51 AM

16 posts, read 73,061 times
50% Italian (Tuscan and Abruzzi), 25% English, 25% German...seems like a pretty popular combination

Old 07-22-2007, 04:06 PM

2,356 posts, read 2,650,229 times
I'm Huguenot, Ulster-Scottish, English and Welsh.

The Huguenots came into Charleston, SC, in the 1690's, and I've traced Scottish ancestry back to the 1750's. I know very little about the English and Welsh lines, maybe I'll look into that some day.

One day, I'm going to inherit some land.. nothing special, like 3 acres of swampland/farmland - that's been in my family for a very long time, probably before the American Revolution. All I know is that I've seen a copy of the will from 1805, that deeds it to the next generation. The land has been fragmented so much over time, so it isn't about the land's value. It's just interesting to have a tangible piece of my ancestry.

Old 07-27-2007, 03:32 PM

625 posts, read 1,356,204 times
Default Genealogy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrenee View Post
I have been trying to find out more about my Indian herritage but it is pretty difficult due to the fact that alot of them had to change their names to "white" names. My grandmother on my Mom's side was Black Foot and Cherokee Indian and my Mothers biological father was half English/half Black Foot, and on my Father's side my grandmother was half Cherokee and English.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
According to my aunt, the English part of our family is related to Pocahontas by marriage. I am very skeptical but she says that she has documented proof. Who knows?
I am a genealogist (non-professional) and have been researching my ancestry for over twenty years. There are certain myths that seem to pop up in many families, and they usually have to do with Native American ancestry. First of all, if someone says they had an "Indian princess" in their family, don't believe them - American Indians did not have princesses. Also, most people will say they have Cherokee blood, but because the Cherokee nation was large and scattered, most non-Indians made assumptions that most Indians were Cherokee. It could be that one has Cherokee blood but don't rely on that information from if it was passed on through family stories. Families tend to believe things that they want to believe. Evidence and verification is key! One of the most common myths is the one about being a descendant of or related somehow to Pocahontas - there are fairly reliable, published genealogies of her descendants -- but if all the people who say they are descended from Pocahontas actually were, well, that would make her quite prolific!

This article might be interesting to some of you:
Family Legends and Myths
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.