U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 08:57 PM

295 posts, read 439,291 times

Advertisements

I'm from the Missouri Bootheel (very much a southern culture rather than midwestern), I currently live in Louisiana, I've spent significant time in Arkansas, Kentucky, Tennessee, Texas, and Mississippi and I've NEVER heard anybody say "yall" like "Yao." Not even close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 10:03 PM

7,413 posts, read 3,411,999 times
I have never heard the expression in California except if someone is from the South. Otherwise "y'all" is not used in common conservation.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:08 PM

13,440 posts, read 14,806,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcintyre1s View Post
I'm from the Missouri Bootheel (very much a southern culture rather than midwestern), I currently live in Louisiana, I've spent significant time in Arkansas, Kentucky, Tennessee, Texas, and Mississippi and I've NEVER heard anybody say "yall" like "Yao." Not even close.
I have but if you haven't. That's fine.

Old 08-17-2010, 12:08 AM

2,413 posts, read 3,890,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
In Texas, Ya'll is pronounced like Yao as in Yao Ming in many parts or Yaw and you say it quick. Yes, you hear it big in Chicago.
Uhhh, born and raised Texan and I've never heard it pronounced like that. It's mostly "yawl".

Old 08-17-2010, 01:47 AM

7,848 posts, read 9,575,223 times
I say "yahll", a lot of the time it's mixed with other words like "whatchall doin?".

I hear both "yahll" and "yawll" in NY, they sound kinda similar but the former has less "awe".

Never knew y'all was a Southern thing, thought it was just American in general. Haha Whatchao durin' j/k.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:53 AM

7,848 posts, read 9,575,223 times
I'm not gonna lie but I do hear "Yao" from time to time, mostly from the faster talking Southerners I here.

Also so I know I'm not crazy, child = chao as well.

Old 08-17-2010, 03:31 AM

3,108 posts, read 4,932,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
I hear "yall" all the time in Chicago and Chicago suburbs - especially from black people who just happen to be the majority in Chicago and many of the suburbs down here. White people pick up on use of the word "yall" because they hear it all the time.
We're the majority in many of south suburbs yes, but not in the city. And yes most(at least it appears that way) black people in Chicago and the suburbs say "y'all". My whole family says ''y'all''. I trace my family roots back to Louisiana and Alabama. I didn't realize ''y'all'' was a southern thing until I came to C-D. As of lately, I'm beginning to use the general Midwest version ''you guys" more.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 08-17-2010 at 03:43 AM..

Old 08-17-2010, 05:00 AM

3,546 posts, read 4,854,908 times
Well I don't live up North, so I wouldn't really know, but I do know that Northern transplants pick up on yall very quickly. It's such a convenient word.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:24 AM
eek

3,576 posts, read 4,245,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
I'm from Georgia, and I've never heard any southerner, regardless of state, say "Yowl".
you're either trolling or lying.

i've been to georgia and have heard ppl pronounce ya'll yaowl. the same in nc and south carolina.

maybe you should get out a little more? or perhaps you can't hear your own accent and those around you...i know my gf swears that she doesn't have one and that *i* sound "funny."

my gf sounds like a stereotypical southerner with the whole won't/want, yaowll/ya'll, thang/thing stuff.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:39 AM

13,440 posts, read 14,806,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
Uhhh, born and raised Texan and I've never heard it pronounced like that. It's mostly "yawl".
I've heard it like that too. But I've also heard it like Yao as well. Just different pronunciationfrom what you have heard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.