U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 08-17-2010, 10:33 PM

871 posts, read 1,189,798 times
frequency of yall in the US by state. statistics from here. click on state and scroll down to the question "50. What word(s) do you use to address a group of two or more people? " to see what percent claim to use yall
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 08-17-2010, 11:54 PM

3,946 posts, read 3,559,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohnWilson View Post
frequency of yall in the US by state. statistics from here. click on state and scroll down to the question "50. What word(s) do you use to address a group of two or more people? " to see what percent claim to use yall
According to your link, only 4% of people here in Illinois use the word yall? Seriouly? Because with a 17% black population, I highly highly doubt it's that low.

Unread 08-18-2010, 12:40 AM

7,466 posts, read 8,374,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
It's far more a Southern thing than a NYC thing. Most of the people who say "y'all" up North have roots in the South. Almost everyone down South says "y'all"
So? Just because you're from the South makes you more "educated" about the word "y'all"? That makes no sense to me lol.

Most people I hear say y'all too, I never heard "you all" in my life. Some older family members say "youse" as well as "y'all".

Unread 08-18-2010, 12:45 AM

7,466 posts, read 8,374,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohnWilson View Post
I wonder why Long Island is darker than the rest of NY State.

I think more states should be darker.

Unread 08-18-2010, 05:15 AM

1,438 posts, read 3,109,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
Just wondering. I was watching the news, and during a bit on Rod Blagoyevich's trial they were playing a tape in which he says "y'all" as natural as you please. If a guy from Chicago uses it in a serious manner without hesitation does that mean it has become an accepted part of American English?
no, not necessarily; depends who you're talking about.

"y'all" is a very commonly heard term in non-southern cities such as nyc, philly, chicago, detroit, sf/oakland, and los angeles among african-americans and others with roots in the south. that's probably whom most of the non-southern posters in this thread are referring to when they say they've heard that term in their area.

but you'd be hard-pressed to find a white/asian/latino/arab native of those cities who's ever said "y'all" in a serious, non-ironic context, if at all (blagojevich might be the rare exception). i am a native northeasterner (nyc metro) and have never used that term, nor have i ever heard it used by friends, colleagues, and strangers who are not af-am. same thing in the other aforementioned cities - "y'all" has exclusively been a black/african-american/southern transplant thing from my experience.

as far as i can tell, the term is still not accepted, commonplace, or considered standard among non-af-ams in many of the nation's large, non-southern metros, and probably not in many northern/western rural areas, either.

that said, i wouldn't be shocked if "y'all" is used by some whites living in very rural, non-metropolitan areas of the midwest (southern indiana? southeast ohio?) and mid-atlantic (western maryland? southern delaware? deep south central pennsylvania?). not sure about this, though.

Unread 08-18-2010, 07:23 AM

871 posts, read 1,189,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
According to your link, only 4% of people here in Illinois use the word yall? Seriouly? Because with a 17% black population, I highly highly doubt it's that low.
first off, it says that 6 percent of illinoisians use yall and 15 percent of the state is black. that out of the way, not all black people have retained usage of yall. ive met quite a few in the west that say you guys. maybe illinois is way different, but personally ive met plenty of black people who dont use yall. plus, maybe they say yall sometimes but also say you guys more and just answered the question that way. i didnt take the polling. could be that they didnt factor in black/white to their polling, but i doubt that since it was done by harvard proffessors. for some reason i think theyd've thought of that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I wonder why Long Island is darker than the rest of NY State.

I think more states should be darker.
the statistics were done by state. long island is part of new york and wasnt polled separately. given that that map is from wikipedia, its probably a mistake in the map because the numbers it was based off only have statistics for new york state as a whole.

and by the way, in central kentucky i really have heard the phrase "you all" to substitute yall from some people. as in "are you all coming?" and even "is that your all's car?". all of people say yall, but some say it split up. they also say "who all's coming tonight?". although the phrase "see yall" when leaving somewhere will often be said by "you all"ers

Last edited by JimmyJohnWilson; 08-18-2010 at 07:47 AM..

Unread 08-18-2010, 11:53 AM

2,249 posts, read 3,707,473 times
I use it. Heard it every place I've lived and at my age, I really don't consider it to be a Southernism.

Unread 08-18-2010, 11:56 AM

7,852 posts, read 11,543,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Why is it even being discussed "how" it sounds in the South. Due to the size and varying degrees of people/classes you'll find in the South, the "Southern Accent" varies quite a bit from state to state, different parts of the state, different cities, etc. It's more of a template rather than a standard. Because of that, it's totally believable that someone hasn't heard a particular variation of "y'all".
Very good point...pronunciations vary throughout the South and throughout the U.S. A lot depends on if a person is from a rural/urban/suburban location, if he/she is educated beyond high school, and which state or even which region within each state he/she is from. I'm not sure why we are even discussing how the word is pronounced...that is definitely an individual thing.

As a teacher, I always use a combination of you/yall/you guys/etc. to refer to my class.

Unread 08-18-2010, 12:10 PM

4,579 posts, read 3,485,995 times
I don't know what you people are talking about. Here in Connecticut, I never ever hear "y'all" being used by anyone. In fact, I don't think any New England state uses that word. Instead, we say "you guys." The word "y'all" is very southern and midwestern. No one uses it here, period.

Unread 08-18-2010, 01:47 PM

4,785 posts, read 3,670,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I don't know what you people are talking about. Here in Connecticut, I never ever hear "y'all" being used by anyone. In fact, I don't think any New England state uses that word. Instead, we say "you guys." The word "y'all" is very southern and midwestern. No one uses it here, period.
I agree; it's not used at all in New England.

It's just "you guys" here..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.