U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 10:40 AM

34 posts, read 150,631 times

Advertisements

My husband is a police officer with 8 years of experience in Arizona. We want to move to a small town, safe, with good schools for our two elementary-age kids. Right now he makes about 65K a year, but housing is very expensive in our town in Arizona (450K for 2,000 sq. ft.). Does anyone know of a small, fairly liberal town that is hiring police officers (he has a degree -- could be a sergeant) that EITHER has high pay or houses under 250K? I have been searching the web for months, and we have singled out Vermont for many of the above reasons, but cannot find police jobs there that pay very well and housing is not as cheap as we had hoped. HELP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2007, 10:54 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,733,355 times
That sounds very pricey for Arizona. I guess the prices must have shot up like in many areas of the U.S. The answer to your question would weigh heavily on you and your husband's personality and what environment you would like to live in. "Liberal" means different things to different people. Some people enjoy liberal of city politics while others looks for select characteristics within their community.

Have you looked in to Madison WI?

Old 06-26-2007, 11:17 AM

What's the crime like in Madison? Hmm... how to define liberal. We support gay marriage, organic farming, high minimum wage, high pay for government workers such as teachers... we don't like big box stores or big businesses contributing hugely to political campaigns. Does Madison fit the bill?

Old 06-26-2007, 03:03 PM

1,965 posts, read 5,792,024 times
Look up county/city jobs in various cities in Oregon- Eugene, Portland, Ashland, and the numerous communities that surround these areas.

Old 06-26-2007, 05:01 PM

653 posts, read 3,134,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lelise View Post
What's the crime like in Madison? Hmm... how to define liberal. We support gay marriage, organic farming, high minimum wage, high pay for government workers such as teachers... we don't like big box stores or big businesses contributing hugely to political campaigns. Does Madison fit the bill?
I would say for the most part--Yes. You should check into Madison, it's a Great place too live. Violent crime in Madison is quite low.

Old 06-26-2007, 07:13 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,733,355 times
Madison would fit the bill given your definition of liberal and based on your values.

Old 06-26-2007, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
Look up county/city jobs in various cities in Oregon- Eugene, Portland, Ashland, and the numerous communities that surround these areas.

As far as Oregon, what is the housing like? It's so hard to tell from real estate websites or statistics, since you never know what side of town the house is on, etc. Is it pretty dry in Oregon on the eastern half? I'm sick of drought and wildfire threat. We have been evacuated twice and that was two times too many for me. Thanks for the info! I did find out that my husband could do a lateral transfer there -- that's unusual and now after your post, I'm feeling hopeful!

Old 06-27-2007, 11:55 AM

1,965 posts, read 5,792,024 times
The east side of Oregon is dry like Colorado is dry- it is nothing like Arizona. The housing depends upon the region. You can get a decent (not fancy though) home is a good area in most Oregon cities for $250K. That might be difficult in close-in portland, Ashland, and Bend, however.

Old 06-30-2007, 01:33 AM

1,903 posts, read 7,285,888 times
Liberals don't like police and try not to hire too many of them, unless it's for highway patrol. Murder is ok with them, but once you start going 5 mph over the speed limit ... wham! THE LAW!

If you're a cop, Ohio is paradise. The housing is cheap, because no one else really wants to live there.

Old 07-02-2007, 08:53 PM

105 posts, read 296,490 times
Default I say Madison wisconsin

I lived in Wisconsin for 35 years and Madison was a very nice place to visit, i stayed there a few times and drove 18 wheelers there quite often without any trouble unlike some other cities like New York, chicago and detoit.
I also live in Arizona right now and have only been here for 5 years and i also am going next year, we dont even let our kids go anywhere without us.
You would be very happy in Wisconsin, the only thing your husband will have to get use to is driving on icy roads but i would take that over this dump anyday.
I am in control of my life in Wisconsin and not some nutcase with a gun.
I wish you and your family the best of luck wherever you go and would like to thank your husband for the 8 years he tried to make this place livable but it is of no use.Arizona will only get worse, tell him to take himself and his family away from here to a place like Madison where you can still enjoy life with your family.There are alot more things to do and feel safe while you are doing them in Wisconsin.
sincerely
dan k
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or