Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 04:37 AM

2 posts, read 4,987 times

Advertisements

We're a very peaceful, easy-going couple (expecting a baby) in our early 30s living in Turkey. I'm originally from Germany. My husband plans to start an MBA program in 2011. We're looking for a big city with lots of amenities including:
- Public transportation. We don't have a car. We like the idea to have everything (groceries, drug stores, hospitals, parks, woods, waterfront) within walking distance or a short ride on a tram, subway or bicycle (preferably).
- Entertainment. We often go out to concerts (hope to see more PJ shows), symphony, opera, dinner, movies, games, museums, etc.
- A lively downtown atmosphere.
- Cultural diversity.

We don't mind cold winters or hot summers, unless there are severe weather events such as tornadoes, hurricanes, etc. Yet, humidity is a concern.
Since we're turning from a couple into a family, safety would be a high priority, though we understand that as long as you know and avoid the dangerous parts of a city, you're most likely to stay safe.
We can afford $800 to $1000 for a one-bedroom apartment.

After some research I've done, it seems that Chicago, Seattle and Portland, OR happen to match most of our requirements. But of course I'm open to other suggestions.

I'd appreciate any input. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 06:59 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
I would highly recommend that you consider Denver. It's a surprisingly cosmopolitan city with excellent weather (70% sunny days per year) and a great quality of life overall, particularly if you like the outdoors.The Denver RTD has really invested in light rail over the past several years and as a result it's quite easy to get around the central core without a car. Check out the neighborhoods of University Park (near the University of Denver) as well as Platt Park and Washington Park just to the west. Cheesman Park, Congress Park and Capitol Hill are also worth checking out, just to the east of the downtown core. They offer the type of amenities you're looking for and are good areas for young families.

Denver - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-20-2010, 07:51 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,610,481 times
$800-$1000 isn't enough for Chicago if you're looking for an area that is family friendly.

And I'm not sure if it's enough for Portland or Seattle.

I understand wanting to live in a city. Having a lively downtown, choices when it comes to entertainment, etc.

Maybe check out other second tier cities.. Denver was a good one. St louis, Kansas city maybe.. People seem to really like Minneapolis/St. Paul.. Detroit is cheap and stills has plenty of nice areas despite the horror stories that you hear.

A good idea might be to check out college towns. Madison Wisc. is a kickass town.

Good luck!

Old 08-23-2010, 02:11 AM

2 posts, read 4,987 times
Thanks for the reply kyle19125 and Dport7674.
I'm sure I saw ads on craiglist for around $900/one bedroom in Lakeview and Lincoln Square. But I don't know whether these neighborhoods of Chicago are safe and family-friendly.
Well, Denver has always been the Last Dinosaur for me I never gave a thought on Denver as it appears to be in the middle of nowhere.
And I doubt St Louis, Kansas City or Detroit (yes the horror stories) would fit our expectations.
I'm aware that the west coast is more expensive than the rest of the country, but has better weather, I guess.
I don't want to stay at home while my husband goes to school. The city should keep me busy with plenty to discover.

Thanks again. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions anyone might have.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:40 AM

1,717 posts, read 4,650,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by égalité View Post
I'm sure I saw ads on craiglist for around $900/one bedroom in Lakeview and Lincoln Square. But I don't know whether these neighborhoods of Chicago are safe and family-friendly.
Well, Denver has always been the Last Dinosaur for me I never gave a thought on Denver as it appears to be in the middle of nowhere.
And I doubt St Louis, Kansas City or Detroit (yes the horror stories) would fit our expectations.
I'm aware that the west coast is more expensive than the rest of the country, but has better weather, I guess.
I don't want to stay at home while my husband goes to school. The city should keep me busy with plenty to discover.

You can live in Magnolia.(Seattle) Which is 5 minutes by bus to downtown.

*``Don't Be Blue Look at Your New View!``* (http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/apa/1914597147.html - broken link).

Or Fremont (10 minutes to Downtown max)

Cornell & Associates: SOUTHWIND - Walk to Woodland Park Zoo (http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/apa/1914279245.html - broken link)

Or Ballard (10 minutes max)

***1 Bed + Office, ON 24th & 67th, move in special . . .*** (http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/apa/1914252592.html - broken link)

Magnolia 1BR/1BA Triplex Discovery Park (http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/apa/1914576587.html - broken link)

Old 08-23-2010, 12:39 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times
Quote:

Lincoln Square is actually one of the top family-friendly neighborhoods on the Northside of Chicago these days. Lots of families with kids moving out there from Lincoln Park/Lakeview to take advantage of the lower real estate prices. I believe there are even a few public schools that aren't horrible (rarity for Chicago Public Schools). Crime is quite low for a big city.

Old 08-24-2010, 03:15 PM

1,222 posts, read 2,279,288 times
Quote:
I never gave a thought on Denver as it appears to be in the middle of nowhere.
Well, is there really anything close to Portland or Seattle? Even Chicago does not have that many close by larger cities. Milwaukee, but that's pretty much it. Close by as in day-trip close by.

If I had the choice between those three cities I would probably pick Chicago. One of my favorite US cities for sure. Also, it has a major airport which might be easier for you to visit family or vice versa and its location in the Midwest is good for traveling to either coast.

Old 08-24-2010, 03:39 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,213,745 times
Lincoln Square in Chicago would be a good option, as it's a very nice part of Chicago. It also happens to be the old German area of Chicago, and there is still some German culture left over. You will not likely run into any actual Germans though unless they are very old.

North Center and Ravenswood are two other neighborhoods that are similar.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:12 AM

886 posts, read 2,226,437 times
Quote:

Actually based on your list... both KC and STL would have what you wanted. STL has better public transportation however. Both would depend on where you live, but 800-1000 goes for for renting a place in both cities.... that price range can get you in waklable neighborhoods either place.

Also Pittsburgh is another very good option to consider. Chicago, Portland, and Seattle will not offer much in your price range for a 1 bedroom getting ready to have a family....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.