U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2007, 11:37 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,459,996 times

Advertisements

Where do you live, KewGee? Judging from the thousands of people I see jogging around town here every day, I'd say the heat and humidity is somewhat exaggerated. If you're at all active or athletic, it won't bother you THAT much. You learn to cope. Drink water. Avoid being outside in the heat of the day, from about noon-4 pm. A/C. If you're used to just sitting around all day, or going from home to mall to restaurant then back home, then yes, you will have a problem with the heat. And we do have the benefit of very mild winters, which seems to get overlooked when discussing the heat in Texas. Yes, it's hot. If you can't handle it, don't live here. Simple as that! Just as I wouldn't move anyplace with winter temps below 50 degrees... I know I couldn't handle it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 12:38 PM

21,649 posts, read 30,273,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Where do you live, KewGee? Judging from the thousands of people I see jogging around town here every day, I'd say the heat and humidity is somewhat exaggerated. If you're at all active or athletic, it won't bother you THAT much. You learn to cope. Drink water. Avoid being outside in the heat of the day, from about noon-4 pm. A/C. If you're used to just sitting around all day, or going from home to mall to restaurant then back home, then yes, you will have a problem with the heat. And we do have the benefit of very mild winters, which seems to get overlooked when discussing the heat in Texas. Yes, it's hot. If you can't handle it, don't live here. Simple as that! Just as I wouldn't move anyplace with winter temps below 50 degrees... I know I couldn't handle it!
Just because you see people jogging around in the heat and humidity doesn't mean they like it. I don't care if I was the worlds best athlete it would bother me to be out in it. To me mild winter are no benefit. I understand exactly what KeeGee is saying. I might have been born here, but I don't have to stay here.

Old 07-03-2007, 01:15 PM

2,639 posts, read 2,464,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post

I live in Central Texas about 65 miles south of Fort Worth.

I'm not as active as I used to be as I'm creeping up on 60, but I've lived in Texas since I was 28 years old and never have I become accustomed to the heat and the ill-effects of it.

You must remember too that people react differently to cold and heat. The heat makes me literally ill if I'm active in it. I don't do anything outside past noon or before 6:30 p.m. as I would probably stroke for sure.

I drink more water than most people do; my doctor will vouch for that, another funny story that I won't relay. Anyway, even in the evening and while doing early morning yard work or brisk walking and sometimes a brief jog with my dogs, I do not like it because of how it makes me feel. I'm not referring to sweating but to getting a terrible headache, palpitations, dizzy, and nauseated.

I keep plugging away though in spite of it, so please don't tell me that I must cope. I do cope with it and complete the jobs I need to in spite of feeling ill. I exercise because it's good for me. Right now and actually for the past 28 years, I haven't been able to do anything but cope with it.

Again, the heat affects everyone differently as does the cold. Am I exaggerating about how I feel in the heat and humidity? No, not on your life!!

I'm trying to leave here but because of my children and other family members, it's a big decision that I will have to make in the near future. And trust me, I want winters less than 50 degrees. 50 is good, but 35 is better. I know I wouldn't survive in Houston.

Old 07-03-2007, 01:17 PM

2,639 posts, read 2,464,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
No thanks! I may be in the minority, but I'll take a St. Paul winter over a Houston summer any day.
I experienced a Wisconsin February for five days whilst on a business trip. It was really quite invigorating, but I don't live there so I can't really say how I would like it long term.

Old 07-03-2007, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
No thanks! I may be in the minority, but I'll take a St. Paul winter over a Houston summer any day.
So would I!!!!!

Old 07-03-2007, 01:53 PM

2,898 posts, read 2,882,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
So would I!!!!!
So maybe St Paul would be a great place for you since North Carolina is just as hot and humid in the summer as Houston.

Old 07-03-2007, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
So maybe St Paul would be a great place for you since North Carolina is just as hot and humid in the summer as Houston.
Not the part of North Carolina I prefer, and even if it was, it's still more beautiful than Texas to me.

Old 07-03-2007, 02:53 PM

332 posts, read 359,964 times
The heat in Texas is hot but people exaggerate alot. Another thing I don't get is when people talk about Houston they'll mention "It is also very hot there", but when talking about Los Angeles people barely even mention the word hot!

Personally I've never been to L.A. but is Houston more humid than L.A or vice versa?

Old 07-03-2007, 04:41 PM

3,073 posts, read 10,773,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post

In the summer, we have very little overcast skies with the exception of a few years, this being one of them. If one is working outside which I like to do, the heat is overwhelming. I must wait for the evening when the humidity is a bit lower, but that doesn't keep me from almost keeling over and having to take breaks in the air conditioned house.

In the summer from May to October, picking days to be outside is not an easy task when the weather is at it's norm..........HOT!!

What does "dresses small" mean?

I can't see the heat not bothering anyone unless they're sitting in a air conditioned place all day. I even get sweaty ginning around the house with the air on.

I don't think people who speak of the Texas heat are exaggerating one bit. It's hot, long and hot, and it is unpleasant.

Yes, and thank God for the "very" cold in the Fall and Winter. I love that.
"Dress small", men half-dressed, women barely dressed at all (and there are plenty of these people down here).

And are you talking about Houston, or Texas in general. Because Houston's heat is constantly exaggerated. Especially when it rains half the time. Now, most of the rest of Texas has dry heat that can get very oppressive. Even still, it's not more than the human body is capable of dealing with. Get over it, people. It's not even worth it.

Old 07-03-2007, 04:45 PM

3,073 posts, read 10,773,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
So would I!!!!!
Then why North Carolina?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or