Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2007, 06:02 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,197,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
So maybe St Paul would be a great place for you since North Carolina is just as hot and humid in the summer as Houston.

The mountainous part of North Carolina is not hot and humid like Houston by any stretch of the imagination. It's a comfortable climate, not like the center or eastern part of NC. ILNC wants elevation and with elevation almost always comes temperate and wonderful climate. I've done my research on the areas she prefers as I prefer them as well. Hot and humid they are not. Check the stats; they're available to anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 06:09 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,581,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmann101 View Post

Personally I've never been to L.A. but is Houston more humid than L.A or vice versa?
do bears sh** in the woods?

Old 07-03-2007, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
"Dress small", men half-dressed, women barely dressed at all (and there are plenty of these people down here).

And are you talking about Houston, or Texas in general. Because Houston's heat is constantly exaggerated. Especially when it rains half the time. Now, most of the rest of Texas has dry heat that can get very oppressive. Even still, it's not more than the human body is capable of dealing with. Get over it, people. It's not even worth it.
That's what I thought you meant by "dresses small" but when I read your post, it didn't fit to the meaning. You said, "Unless you're someone who dresses small then it won't even bother you." You were referring to the heat, so you can see why I questioned it as it didn't make sense in this case. Maybe I'm still not understanding what you're talking about regarding the scantily dressed.

Texas in general is hot and mostly, I'm only talking about where I live in Central Texas. I wouldn't agree that it's not more than the human body is capable of dealing with. People without A/C die each year from the terrible heat in Texas. Without A/C, this state wouldn't have near the population it has. One would have to be nuts to live here without it. A/C is the saving grace of surviving the heat. I could easily survive without the heater in Texas, but A/C is another story.

Old 07-03-2007, 06:15 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,581,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
And are you talking about Houston, or Texas in general. Because Houston's heat is constantly exaggerated. Especially when it rains half the time. Now, most of the rest of Texas has dry heat that can get very oppressive. Even still, it's not more than the human body is capable of dealing with. Get over it, people. It's not even worth it.
i have no dog in this "humid oppressive heat thread" hunt, but just an observation. there are a few who are claiming that the heat is no big deal, get over it, it's exaggerated, blah blah blah. but no-one said boo when houstoner mentioned he/she could never live anywhere that went below 50 in the winter. couldn't we just turn that around and say "chicago's winters aren't that bad, everyone exaggerates about the cold, chicago didn't get the title WINDY CITY for the weather, people (which is TRUE), seriously, deal with it!"

can't we all see that what is one person's weather paradise is another's hell? there are some people who LEGITIMATELY cannot handle the heat and humidity, as there are people who LEGITMATELY cannot handle the cold, and who are we to say otherwise??????

Old 07-03-2007, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmann101 View Post
The heat in Texas is hot but people exaggerate alot. Another thing I don't get is when people talk about Houston they'll mention "It is also very hot there", but when talking about Los Angeles people barely even mention the word hot!

Personally I've never been to L.A. but is Houston more humid than L.A or vice versa?
I lived in the L.A. area for 28 years and we never had A/C. It was not needed. Yes, we would have hot days here and there, but they weren't humid. Also, it would always start cooling off in the early evening and the heat didn't last for an eternity.

I can only remember a few nights where it was a little uncomfortable sleeping because it was warm, but those days were so far and few between, they hardly count.

Old 07-03-2007, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
i have no dog in this "humid oppressive heat thread" hunt, but just an observation. there are a few who are claiming that the heat is no big deal, get over it, it's exaggerated, blah blah blah. but no-one said boo when houstoner mentioned he/she could never live anywhere that went below 50 in the winter. couldn't we just turn that around and say "chicago's winters aren't that bad, everyone exaggerates about the cold, chicago didn't get the title WINDY CITY for the weather, people (which is TRUE), seriously, deal with it!"

can't we all see that what is one person's weather paradise is another's hell? there are some people who LEGITIMATELY cannot handle the heat and humidity, as there are people who LEGITMATELY cannot handle the cold, and who are we to say otherwise??????
Gosh, if that doesn't make sense, nothing does. Thanks for a post full of common sense so often lacking in today's world.

I will never understand why people become so defensive about the weather. They are not the ones who bring on the heat or cold, so get over it that some people hate heat and others hate cold.

So many newcomers to areas ask about the weather as it's important to them and their lives. Therefore, people on the forums respond, I would hope, with honesty and not minimize a subject such as weather, crime, and other things in which people care about if they decide to make a move across country.

I know a lady that lives in GA from TX and she said that GA can be hot, but TX's heat totally knocked her over. So there you have it. Some people are affected greatly and some think the hot is fantastic.

Old 07-03-2007, 06:34 PM

15,639 posts, read 40,917,067 times
I got blasted by a bunch of forum people before when I said it rains a lot in Texas. They all said I was exaggerating. Well, all I see on the news now about Texas is ...... THE RAIN and the FLOODS!!!!! I am so glad I moved out of that damn place!!! So glad!!!

Old 07-03-2007, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I got blasted by a bunch of forum people before when I said it rains a lot in Texas. They all said I was exaggerating. Well, all I see on the news now about Texas is ...... THE RAIN and the FLOODS!!!!! I am so glad I moved out of that damn place!!! So glad!!!
Areas of Texas always flood, but this summer has been quite unusual. And as you say, any time anything is said against Texas by one who has that Texas pride (admiration is a better word to me), you do get blasted. It's kind of funny sometimes but other times, it's just plain frustrating.

I'm glad you're happy in sunny CA. Take care, Twink.

Old 07-03-2007, 07:44 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,541,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post
That's what I thought you meant by "dresses small" but when I read your post, it didn't fit to the meaning. You said, "Unless you're someone who dresses small then it won't even bother you." You were referring to the heat, so you can see why I questioned it as it didn't make sense in this case. Maybe I'm still not understanding what you're talking about regarding the scantily dressed.
I don't see the confusion. The less you wear, the more your body can tolerate the heat. Tank top vs. sweater...

Quote:
Texas in general is hot and mostly, I'm only talking about where I live in Central Texas. I wouldn't agree that it's not more than the human body is capable of dealing with. People without A/C die each year from the terrible heat in Texas. Without A/C, this state wouldn't have near the population it has. One would have to be nuts to live here without it. A/C is the saving grace of surviving the heat. I could easily survive without the heater in Texas, but A/C is another story.
Well people were living here long before the A/C was invented, so it's evidently not impossible. Granted, air conditioning has meant better business for our cities. And having a heater in Texas is very necessary. Pneumonia is not rare in Texas, and it is possible to become very ill in Texas winter weather when heat is not used. So, no offense, but while you are fully entitled to your opinion, your statements are quite a bit misleading.

Old 07-03-2007, 07:49 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,541,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Not going to blast you, because these past weeks have proven that it can rain a lot in Texas, but Texas isn't really a rainy state unless you're by the coast. What's happening to Texas right now has probably happened to most of the fifty states. Not many are an exception.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.