U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2007, 07:34 PM

332 posts, read 359,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post
Areas of Texas always flood, but this summer has been quite unusual. And as you say, any time anything is said against Texas by one who has that Texas pride (admiration is a better word to me), you do get blasted. It's kind of funny sometimes but other times, it's just plain frustrating.

I'm glad you're happy in sunny CA. Take care, Twink.
It's also funny and frustrating how people keep saying us Texans have too much pride for our state and that we'll attack anyone who dosen't like it,but many other states exspecially NC people do it and no one seems to point them out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 08:13 PM

21,644 posts, read 30,261,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I got blasted by a bunch of forum people before when I said it rains a lot in Texas. They all said I was exaggerating. Well, all I see on the news now about Texas is ...... THE RAIN and the FLOODS!!!!! I am so glad I moved out of that damn place!!! So glad!!!
Count your lucky stars that you got out! I can't wait to do the same.

Old 07-03-2007, 08:14 PM

Quote:

The mountainous part of North Carolina is not hot and humid like Houston by any stretch of the imagination. It's a comfortable climate, not like the center or eastern part of NC. ILNC wants elevation and with elevation almost always comes temperate and wonderful climate. I've done my research on the areas she prefers as I prefer them as well. Hot and humid they are not. Check the stats; they're available to anyone.
This is very true. It's much more desirable to me than Houston or Texas.

Old 07-03-2007, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
"Dress small", men half-dressed, women barely dressed at all (and there are plenty of these people down here).

And are you talking about Houston, or Texas in general. Because Houston's heat is constantly exaggerated. Especially when it rains half the time. Now, most of the rest of Texas has dry heat that can get very oppressive. Even still, it's not more than the human body is capable of dealing with. Get over it, people. It's not even worth it.
You must be one of the few that loves the heat and humidity. I happen to think the heat IS excessive here and NOT exaggerated.

Old 07-03-2007, 08:55 PM

2,639 posts, read 2,462,495 times
Quote:
I don't see the confusion. The less you wear, the more your body can tolerate the heat. Tank top vs. sweater...

Well people were living here long before the A/C was invented, so it's evidently not impossible. Granted, air conditioning has meant better business for our cities. And having a heater in Texas is very necessary. Pneumonia is not rare in Texas, and it is possible to become very ill in Texas winter weather when heat is not used. So, no offense, but while you are fully entitled to your opinion, your statements are quite a bit misleading.
Okay, I get the less you wear comment now, but I just don't really understand its relation. No one in his or her right mind would wear a sweater in the heat. I dress as lightly as possible and of course, I'd be cooler than if I had on a sweatsuit so, therefore, I could tolerate the heat better lightly dressed. I guess that's kind of a "no brainer."

I don't mean to mislead anyone about doing without a heater in Texas. I don't though; I have it set between 50 and 55 degrees.

I believe if you'll check the web, you will find out that one cannot catch pneumonia from cold weather, but that's a topic for the Health and Wellness Forum, I think.

Old 07-04-2007, 12:24 AM

2,898 posts, read 2,880,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I got blasted by a bunch of forum people before when I said it rains a lot in Texas. They all said I was exaggerating. Well, all I see on the news now about Texas is ...... THE RAIN and the FLOODS!!!!! I am so glad I moved out of that damn place!!! So glad!!!
And during a El Nino year it rains alot in Southern California too, so what is your point?

Old 07-04-2007, 10:58 AM

3,073 posts, read 10,771,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
You must be one of the few that loves the heat and humidity. I happen to think the heat IS excessive here and NOT exaggerated.
I do not love the heat or the humidity, the heat is not excessive, and it is very exaggerated.

Old 07-04-2007, 11:00 AM

3,073 posts, read 10,771,034 times
Quote:
[color="DarkOrchid"]Okay, I get the less you wear comment now, but I just don't really understand its relation. No one in his or her right mind would wear a sweater in the heat. I dress as lightly as possible and of course, I'd be cooler than if I had on a sweatsuit so, therefore, I could tolerate the heat better lightly dressed. I guess that's kind of a "no brainer."
Yeah, now that I had to explain it to you it seems like a no brainer, but it wasn't before.

Old 07-04-2007, 11:07 AM

34 posts, read 145,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I live in Dallas and I can't remember the last time I saw a confederate flag (probably in Georgia). Dallas is Democratic (mostly) has a lesbian sheriff, black DA, gay County Judge, several gay council members and everyone rides in the pride parade. We will soon have the largest Arts District in the country with buildings by 4 Pritzker prize architects, Calatrava suspension bridges over the Trinity and town lakes, and yes we are doubling our light rail (DART) to cover the entire region (6.4 million and 500 per day arriving) and we even have a subway.

We have many hilly/creek/lake areas and the largest hardwood urban forest in the USA (Great Trinity Forest). I can't grow anything at my 1916 Craftsman Bungalow (we have more historic and conservation districts than any city) unless it is a shade plant. Nearby is White Rock Lake, the largest urban lake in the USA.

It hasn't even gotten hot this year. They are predicting it will be weeks before we may hit 100. Besides if it does get hot everyone enjoys it for a bit and it's a great excuse to go to LaJolla, Colorado or Europe.
Also we have the Best AC in the whole world (I know, I'm a million mile traveler).
+1 I agree on Dallas, good place to live... I'd like to see some more hills like in the Cedar Hills + Joe Pool lake area. if there was plenty of that scenery, oh yeah... The weather is hot most of the time in summer time, with exception of this year, but it rained like crazy for 1.5 months instead... floods... TX weather is very tricky, it can be hot 10 AM and rain floods 11AM...

Old 07-04-2007, 11:33 AM

Quote:
I do not love the heat or the humidity, the heat is not excessive, and it is very exaggerated.
Well I disagree with that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or