Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2007, 07:08 PM

20,501 posts, read 33,317,609 times
^^ The New Madrid Earthquake in the 1800's I believe.

But I think mpope is talking about some pines that starts just east of Austin. You see them pop up every now and then when traveling along 290 going east. That's because those woods use to be as far west as Lubbock thousands of years ago. The area you know as Austin looked like Tyler and covered with thick forests. But that area is slowly going east for some reason. Shame, because I wish the trees was still there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2007, 07:38 PM

355 posts, read 2,397,653 times
Thumbs down Don't miss Texas one bit..

[quote=mels;959548]The heat is one of the reasons I couldn't live there. I like to visit but I don't think the whole culture of Texas is for me. It is a bit too conservative and too much Texas is the center of the universe mentality in my ever so humble opinion. I just didn't get that "I could live here" vibe from any place I have been in Texas. I am not knocking the state, it has some lovely areas and is nice to visit but it just isn't for me.[/QUOT

I couldn't agree more. I lived in TX for 5 years----way too long if you ask me. I don't miss it at all. It is too conservative & everyone there has the "TX is the best & only state" mentality making it hard for me being from the Midwest. I consistently got called a yankee & never felt welcome. And there is no seasons!!! It's just hot, hot & more hot....

Old 07-04-2007, 07:59 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,541,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
^^ except the mountains. You gotta admit, the mountains of North Carolina with the greenery are beautiful. I do like the mountains of Texas as well.
Eh. Mountains never really did much for me. Now hills I like. I love the hills of Central Texas, and I'll admit that I kind of wish Houston wasn't built on such flat land. Except for the pines, oaks, some of the other continental trees, and the flowers, Houston is not very beautiful naturally. The palms and other tropical plants sicken me.

This does not speak for all of Texas which is very gorgeous to me. Especially the central and northeastern regions.

Old 07-04-2007, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post
That is a lovely picture, but living in East Texas would be way too unbearable, I believe. I have friends in Tyler and they are overwhemled by the humidity.
I'm in love with Tyler. Lots of charm and it is gorgeous. Almost identical to East Georgia. The homes are some of the best works of art in this nation.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/texas...1-04-07-a.html

Quote:
These Pine trees to which you're referring .... Where might they be in Central Texas? Are you sure they're Pine and not Cypress? I believe Caddo Lake is full of Cypress, not Pine.
The pine trees in CenTex don't really start until you're about an hour outside of Austin going on the 290 towards Houston. And while Caddo is located in a Cypress forest, there are many many pine trees there too as it's located in the Piney Woods of Texas.

Old 07-04-2007, 08:47 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,197,880 times
New-To-CO quote: I couldn't agree more. I lived in TX for 5 years----way too long if you ask me. I don't miss it at all. It is too conservative & everyone there has the "TX is the best & only state" mentality making it hard for me being from the Midwest. I consistently got called a yankee & never felt welcome. And there is no seasons!!! It's just hot, hot & more hot....

Not everyone in Texas has that mentality, I can assure you. Hey, I'm from CA and was referred to as a Yankee. I guess anyone outside of TX is a Yankee in some Texan's minds.

Old 07-04-2007, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
^^ The New Madrid Earthquake in the 1800's I believe.

But I think mpope is talking about some pines that starts just east of Austin. You see them pop up every now and then when traveling along 290 going east. That's because those woods use to be as far west as Lubbock thousands of years ago. The area you know as Austin looked like Tyler and covered with thick forests. But that area is slowly going east for some reason. Shame, because I wish the trees was still there.

You are correct. Caddo legend is that the lake was formed by the New Madrid Quake in 1811. Of course, geologists now feel differently about that.

I wish the trees were still there too. That must have been a lovely sight.

Old 07-04-2007, 08:53 PM

332 posts, read 446,050 times
[quote=new-to-CO;1004818]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
The heat is one of the reasons I couldn't live there. I like to visit but I don't think the whole culture of Texas is for me. It is a bit too conservative and too much Texas is the center of the universe mentality in my ever so humble opinion. I just didn't get that "I could live here" vibe from any place I have been in Texas. I am not knocking the state, it has some lovely areas and is nice to visit but it just isn't for me.[/QUOT

I couldn't agree more. I lived in TX for 5 years----way too long if you ask me. I don't miss it at all. It is too conservative & everyone there has the "TX is the best & only state" mentality making it hard for me being from the Midwest. I consistently got called a yankee & never felt welcome. And there is no seasons!!! It's just hot, hot & more hot....
Texas has no seasons?!?!!?O_o....IDK where you were living but if Texas was hot for 5 years straight I must've missed it.

Old 07-04-2007, 08:59 PM

22,999 posts, read 34,265,766 times
[quote=madmann101;1005173]
Quote:
Originally Posted by new-to-CO View Post

Texas has no seasons?!?!!?O_o....IDK where you were living but if Texas was hot for 5 years straight I must've missed it.
Yep they're right about the seasons only I usually say there are two, hot and not so hot. What does IDK mean

Old 07-04-2007, 09:31 PM

[quote=I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA;1005196]
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmann101 View Post

Yep they're right about the seasons only I usually say there are two, hot and not so hot. What does IDK mean
I think it means I don't know; I just guessed that after thinking about it for a while. I don't like all these silly acronyms, but I guess I need to learn to deal with it like having to learn to deal with the usual heat and humidity. At least, IDK isn't swearing.

Old 07-04-2007, 09:38 PM

[quote=new-to-CO;1004818]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
The heat is one of the reasons I couldn't live there. I like to visit but I don't think the whole culture of Texas is for me. It is a bit too conservative and too much Texas is the center of the universe mentality in my ever so humble opinion. I just didn't get that "I could live here" vibe from any place I have been in Texas. I am not knocking the state, it has some lovely areas and is nice to visit but it just isn't for me.[/QUOT

Where in the world were you at?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.