U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-11-2007, 05:33 PM
 
Location: Deep In The Heat Of Texas
2,639 posts, read 2,460,026 times
Reputation: 700

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Exactly. I use to live in CenTex and it never got that hot at night. Nights are actually pretty muggy during the summer and cold during the winter.
Obviously, we all have a different definition of hot. As I mentioned, check the past stats on temps at night. Hot, you bet it is!! The humidity, of course, makes it worse but again, we all define humidity different as well.

Just curious.....If it didn't get hot, could you sleep without the A/C? I know I can't.

In what part of Texas do you now reside?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-11-2007, 06:06 PM
 
Location: In God
3,073 posts, read 10,768,555 times
Reputation: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post
Obviously, we all have a different definition of hot. As I mentioned, check the past stats on temps at night. Hot, you bet it is!! The humidity, of course, makes it worse but again, we all define humidity different as well.

Just curious.....If it didn't get hot, could you sleep without the A/C? I know I can't.

In what part of Texas do you now reside?
Nights have been in the 70's. That's nothing compared to 100 degrees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2007, 06:46 PM
 
Location: Deep In The Heat Of Texas
2,639 posts, read 2,460,026 times
Reputation: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Nights have been in the 70's. That's nothing compared to 100 degrees.

I know they are now but in the past and a typical summer, they are not. This is the coolest summer I can remember in a long time. I didn't say either that the temps can be 100 at night, I said in the 90s at night and the 80s in the morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2007, 07:03 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
1,231 posts, read 3,446,616 times
Reputation: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post

...I said in the 90s at night and the 80s in the morning.
Gotta jump into this debate because I've been in Austin for 17 years and have awakened to 80 degrees less than a dozen times in all those years. It's rare for us to have overnight lows above 78 to 80 (which is plenty warm, admittedly.) Maybe you're talking about the heat index...??? If so, then you're right. If the overnight low is 78 then you can bet the heat index is about 85.

Just got off the phone with my brother in northern Vermont, who said that it's been oppressively hot with temps in the 80s and no wind. As we were talking, it was 90 here in Austin and I was out walking my dog. There was a delicious tropical wind and the air felt heavenly.

Merely knowing the temperature, or even the heat index, is far from enough information to let you know how it really feels. I spent the summer of 2005 traveling across the northern part of the US to escape the heat of Texas, and it was WORSE everywhere except the immediate west coast. Even in Ottawa, Ontario, it was miserably hot, humid, and stagnant with no air flow. Meanwhile my friends in Austin were saying it was a very pleasant summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2007, 07:07 PM
 
Location: God's Country
21,640 posts, read 30,249,870 times
Reputation: 30179
I just checked the Weather Channel and in Houston at this very minute it is 88 but the heat index is 103 dew point 79, humidity 74
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2007, 07:12 PM
 
Location: NJ
12,284 posts, read 31,768,262 times
Reputation: 5220
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I just checked the Weather Channel and in Houston at this very minute it is 88 but the heat index is 103 dew point 79, humidity 74
dew point 79? omg - that is horrendous. dew point here today was 72 and it was completely oppressive - like soup!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2007, 07:17 PM
 
Location: God's Country
21,640 posts, read 30,249,870 times
Reputation: 30179
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
dew point 79? omg - that is horrendous. dew point here today was 72 and it was completely oppressive - like soup!
Yes it is awful!!!! the dew point was 82 a few days ago
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2007, 09:44 PM
 
Location: Deep In The Heat Of Texas
2,639 posts, read 2,460,026 times
Reputation: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHarvester View Post
Gotta jump into this debate because I've been in Austin for 17 years and have awakened to 80 degrees less than a dozen times in all those years. It's rare for us to have overnight lows above 78 to 80 (which is plenty warm, admittedly.) Maybe you're talking about the heat index...??? If so, then you're right. If the overnight low is 78 then you can bet the heat index is about 85.

Just got off the phone with my brother in northern Vermont, who said that it's been oppressively hot with temps in the 80s and no wind. As we were talking, it was 90 here in Austin and I was out walking my dog. There was a delicious tropical wind and the air felt heavenly.

Merely knowing the temperature, or even the heat index, is far from enough information to let you know how it really feels. I spent the summer of 2005 traveling across the northern part of the US to escape the heat of Texas, and it was WORSE everywhere except the immediate west coast. Even in Ottawa, Ontario, it was miserably hot, humid, and stagnant with no air flow. Meanwhile my friends in Austin were saying it was a very pleasant summer.

No, I wasn't talking about the heat index. I just remember many times over the years driving to work at 7:15 in the morning and seeing the temperature on a marquee saying 80+ degrees. No, it wasn't every day in the summer, but often enough. Also, I remember hearing the weatherman on the 10:20 p.m. news in Dallas saying the temp was still 90 whatever degrees. I usually watch the Dallas news even though I live in Central Texas.

No matter what one says about how pleasant the weather is or that it cools to 70 something in the a.m., I'll bet not one of those people leave their air conditioning off. If it isn't hot, the air doesn't need to be running.

The dew point right now where I live (nearly 11 p.m.) is 72, humidity 74, temp 81, and heat index 85. That isn't bad, but I'm still not shutting down the A/C unless I sleep outside. No, that wouldn't work. I'd be eaten alive by mosquitoes.

It's even worse in Austin...temp 85, heat index 89, dew point 70, humidity 69.

In my estimation, the heat is bearable only because most of the population has A/C. For those that don't, I feel your pain. One can be sweating bullets while outside working or exercising or whatever, but he or she knows there is coolness at the end of the heat and it's called A/C. Having to go into a hot house after being in the outdoor heat would be enough to make me have to hurt myself.

Last edited by KewGee; 07-11-2007 at 10:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2007, 09:48 PM
 
Location: Anywhere but here!
2,800 posts, read 9,280,348 times
Reputation: 1692
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post
Hey, is that sweet new baby moving to Texas too?

Ticks and chiggers are no big deal really. Yes, chiggers do make one itch like crazy, but they're not frightful because one can't even see them. I hate the itching from them and the mosquitoes. Of course, I don't live in East Texas but Central, and it seems the tick population is down from whence it had been years ago. I haven't seen a tick in years. I remember when they used to apparently fall out of a tree and stick in my head or the head of my kids or any other place on our bodies. Ick and gross!!

My dogs never have fleas or ticks thanks to Advantix.

One thing I had never heard of when I moved to Texas from CA was head lice. When my daughter was in the 1st grade, there was an epidemic of them in the elementary school. Needless to say, I was totally appalled and kept her home the following day, like that would have done any good. I'm happy to say my children were never hosts to these nasty things even though it was often in the schools. To me, that's the worst of the worst bug.

Snakes are everywhere, I guess, and it's just a hopeful that one doesn't have to deal with them. I have seen two rattlesnakes in my yard over the past 20 years, so that's not too bad. Copperheads are bad in Central Texas. One of my great-nephews was bitten by one when he was little. He stepped off my sister's driveway and the snake was in the grass. He was careflighted to Children's Hospital in Dallas, but everything turned out okay.

Alligators and crocodiles would worry me too, but that is one worry I don't have in Central Texas. I've seen about 10 scorpions in the 20 years I've lived in the house I'm in now and all but one were in the house. I've been stung twice. Ouch!

On a normal summer night, the temperatures at 11 p.m. can often still be in the high 90s obviously though with a higher humidity reading than AZ. You'll do fine in the weather here if you're used to 120 degrees.

Good luck to you!!
Thanks KewGee for the info! I think I needed to hear (at least SOME) of that . The scorpion and snake part I'm not too sure about lol Just kidding.

I see right now it's still 108 here (almost 9pm) and it's only 77 in Tyler! I can LIVE WITH THAT! Even though it is 89% humidity and has thunderstorms going on right now! I don't even know what a good ole thunderstorm is anymore . I MISS the lightening shows and the thunder .

And YES! That cute little baby will be there too! In fact, they may make it there before the rest of us, with the way things are going lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2007, 09:55 PM
 
Location: Deep In The Heat Of Texas
2,639 posts, read 2,460,026 times
Reputation: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawgpz550 View Post
Thanks KewGee for the info! I think I needed to hear (at least SOME) of that . The scorpion and snake part I'm not too sure about lol Just kidding.

I see right now it's still 108 here (almost 9pm) and it's only 77 in Tyler! I can LIVE WITH THAT! Even though it is 89% humidity and has thunderstorms going on right now! I don't even know what a good ole thunderstorm is anymore . I MISS the lightening shows and the thunder .

And YES! That cute little baby will be there too! In fact, they may make it there before the rest of us, with the way things are going lol

That's fantastic. I had hoped you would not have to leave that sweet little granddaughter.

Yes, the weather here will be much better for you, no doubt about that. You'll get your share of thunderstorms and the fantastic lightning shows.

Have you for sure decided on Tyler as I think I remember you were looking into other states as well?

Last edited by KewGee; 07-11-2007 at 10:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top