U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-29-2007, 09:29 AM
 
Location: Texas!
332 posts, read 360,024 times
Reputation: 108

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
just for the record - i NEVER said Texas was flat and ugly. i was making a compliation of comments. i agreed with the poster who didn't like the texas culture and the "center of the universe" feeling you get there.
Sorry I meant to address the comment to you and the other Texas haters

If you don't like Texas culture than their are thousands of other cultures here in Texas! Its not just about Bar-b-que and horses! maybe if people would quit going to the big cities and quit expecting all the excitment to come to them and actually go out and have a good time, Texas can be really fun.

btw ILOVENC, what made you move to Texas or is this where you were born? just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-29-2007, 09:31 AM
 
Location: God's Country
21,649 posts, read 30,276,065 times
Reputation: 30189
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmann101 View Post
Sorry I meant to address the comment to you and the other Texas haters

If you don't like Texas culture than their are thousands of other cultures here in Texas! Its not just about Bar-b-que and horses! maybe if people would quit going to the big cities and quit expecting all the excitment to come to them and actually go out and have a good time, Texas can be really fun.

btw ILOVENC, what made you move to Texas or is this where you were born? just curious.
Unfortunately I was born here, but I do plan to move as soon as I can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2007, 09:51 AM
 
Location: NJ
12,284 posts, read 31,794,556 times
Reputation: 5225
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmann101 View Post
Sorry I meant to address the comment to you and the other Texas haters

If you don't like Texas culture than their are thousands of other cultures here in Texas! Its not just about Bar-b-que and horses! maybe if people would quit going to the big cities and quit expecting all the excitment to come to them and actually go out and have a good time, Texas can be really fun.
hun, i don't hate texas. you're having a hard time reconciling the fact that just because someone doesn't want to LIVE there, they can't appreciate it or have fun when they visit. aren't there places you don't want to live in but like to visit? in fact, i believe you listed a few - shall we give you the 3rd degree like you're giving other posters?

as a matter of fact, one of the best times i ever had was in Billy Bob's of Fort Worth - what a hoot! also, one of the best steak dinners I had was in Dallas, at Delfrisco's Double Eagle (before they went chain). My husband and I spent our first anniversary in San Antonio and had a great time (go Fat Tuesday's!!). I can find fun in Texas, I just don't want to live there, and guess what? THAT'S OK!!! Don't take it as a personal affront.

i'll say it again: no matter how many times you say you don't expect everyone to like Texas or want to live there, your posts scream differently. that attitude is why people think many texas residents have the "country of texas" mentality .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2007, 10:51 AM
 
Location: Texas!
332 posts, read 360,024 times
Reputation: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
hun, i don't hate texas. you're having a hard time reconciling the fact that just because someone doesn't want to LIVE there, they can't appreciate it or have fun when they visit. aren't there places you don't want to live in but like to visit? in fact, i believe you listed a few - shall we give you the 3rd degree like you're giving other posters?

as a matter of fact, one of the best times i ever had was in Billy Bob's of Fort Worth - what a hoot! also, one of the best steak dinners I had was in Dallas, at Delfrisco's Double Eagle (before they went chain). My husband and I spent our first anniversary in San Antonio and had a great time (go Fat Tuesday's!!). I can find fun in Texas, I just don't want to live there, and guess what? THAT'S OK!!! Don't take it as a personal affront.

i'll say it again: no matter how many times you say you don't expect everyone to like Texas or want to live there, your posts scream differently. that attitude is why people think many texas residents have the "country of texas" mentality .

No I just disagree with the fact that Texas is flat and dry when it obviously isn't. I just get offended when people address Texas as a boring,dry,flat,ugly state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2007, 10:55 AM
 
Location: Deep In The Heat Of Texas
2,639 posts, read 2,465,318 times
Reputation: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmann101 View Post
No I just disagree with the fact that Texas is flat and dry when it obviously isn't. I just get offended when people address Texas as a boring,dry,flat,ugly state.
Many parts are, many parts aren't. I wouldn't take offense to it as you didn't make this place. It wasn't even Texans that won Texas' independence. We owe it to Yankees, people from other southern states, Brits, Germans, Irish, etc. Texans had ever so little to do with it, but that is another story. They are the ones that made people from Texas Texans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2007, 01:42 PM
 
Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,460,846 times
Reputation: 1947
KG, every Texan is from somewhere else! Haven't you realized that by now? That's partly why we got a reputation for being friendly and welcoming. As you can see from this thread, we want to make Texans out of all of you!

I love Texas, but not so much not to realize it's not for everyone. It's damn hot, for one thing. KG and tahiti, don't judge all native Texans by the actions of a few. We're not all so fanatic about Texas, I promise!

The only thing that bothers me is that people continue to stereotype Texas, thinking it's all cowboys and tumbleweeds, when nothing could be further from the truth. Okay, maybe it's not that far from the truth, but half of all Texans live in the major cities, so it's not that close to the truth either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2007, 01:54 PM
 
16,092 posts, read 36,604,232 times
Reputation: 6277
KewGee it wasn't Yankees but many Tennesseans such as Davy Crockett.

Kentucky I don't think you know much about Texas if you say more Spanish is spoken in Dallas than San Antonio. Sounds like you were in some faceless suburb, not the city of Dallas. If you don't get off the freeways you don't know Dallas.

Yes we Texans think it is something special. Some of us are always fighting on this board over Dallas vs. Houston or Fort Worth, etc.

But we will attack and destroy anyone who dares to dis Texas!

"Republic, I like the sound of that word." John Wayne in "The Alamo".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2007, 02:27 PM
 
Location: God's Country
21,649 posts, read 30,276,065 times
Reputation: 30189
[quote=Lakewooder;975118]

But we will attack and destroy anyone who dares to dis Texas!

Not this Texan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2007, 02:39 PM
 
Location: NJ
12,284 posts, read 31,794,556 times
Reputation: 5225
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post

I love Texas, but not so much not to realize it's not for everyone. It's damn hot, for one thing. KG and tahiti, don't judge all native Texans by the actions of a few. We're not all so fanatic about Texas, I promise!
i do know EVERYONE isn't like this. see, here's the thing, and it's probably something a native texan isn't even aware of. it's not just the people. you see the "texas, it's a whole 'nuther country" mentality - EVERYWHERE. Billboards, businesses, TV! i remember calling my husband from houston or wherever and telling him "OMG - You can't drive 2 miles without something screaming TEXAS! in your face!" - businesses, "Bubba Ford - a big ford dealership for BIG Texas because you know, EVERYTHING is big in TEXAS!". Go a store with souvenirs and you'll see the theme on all over the darn place. You even have the slogan on license plates!!

I have a friend, native Texan, moved to NJ for work. She had a Texas flag hanging outside her house, and told me of an incident where a friend of her son insulted Texas to his face (stupid kid stuff) - he came home, told my friend, and she was LIVID. She explained to her son that he's NEVER to let anyone insult Texas like that, because "We're Texans!" (nevermind her son was born in NJ, lol). She went to the principal over it!! OMG! She's extreme, I know, but I seriously couldn't imagine this scene over ANY other state. BTW, she's back in Texas after 18 or so years and is happy, happy happy!

I have another friend in OH (native Texan) who has a Texas themed bathroom, LOL.

My old boss is a native Texan and I asked him about this after I returned from a business trip, and he completely understood what I was saying and he said the only thing he could think of was this started and propagated throughout time b/c Texas was once its own country. Otherwise, he's clueless, LOL.

I do think it's nice that Texans have pride in their state, I have pride in mine (and feel this state is SEVERLY misunderstood, much like some Texans feel about Texas), but no other place is as "in your face" about it.

Do you somewhat agree or am I overanalyzing? LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2007, 02:49 PM
 
Location: God's Country
21,649 posts, read 30,276,065 times
Reputation: 30189
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
i do know EVERYONE isn't like this. see, here's the thing, and it's probably something a native texan isn't even aware of. it's not just the people. you see the "texas, it's a whole 'nuther country" mentality - EVERYWHERE. Billboards, businesses, TV! i remember calling my husband from houston or wherever and telling him "OMG - You can't drive 2 miles without something screaming TEXAS! in your face!" - businesses, "Bubba Ford - a big ford dealership for BIG Texas because you know, EVERYTHING is big in TEXAS!". Go a store with souvenirs and you'll see the theme on all over the darn place. You even have the slogan on license plates!!

I have a friend, native Texan, moved to NJ for work. She had a Texas flag hanging outside her house, and told me of an incident where a friend of her son insulted Texas to his face (stupid kid stuff) - he came home, told my friend, and she was LIVID. She explained to her son that he's NEVER to let anyone insult Texas like that, because "We're Texans!" (nevermind her son was born in NJ, lol). She went to the principal over it!! OMG! She's extreme, I know, but I seriously couldn't imagine this scene over ANY other state. BTW, she's back in Texas after 18 or so years and is happy, happy happy!

I have another friend in OH (native Texan) who has a Texas themed bathroom, LOL.

My old boss is a native Texan and I asked him about this after I returned from a business trip, and he completely understood what I was saying and he said the only thing he could think of was this started and propagated throughout time b/c Texas was once its own country. Otherwise, he's clueless, LOL.

I do think it's nice that Texans have pride in their state, I have pride in mine (and feel this state is SEVERLY misunderstood, much like some Texans feel about Texas), but no other place is as "in your face" about it.

Do you somewhat agree or am I overanalyzing? LOL
It's one thing to have pride in your state, but some Texans are obsessed by the fact you better love it or off with your head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top