Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 06:13 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,197,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
But here's my bone to pick: how come New Yorkers don't get treated the same way for their grand pride in their city? (No comparison of New York to Texas, just an example)
I was born in New York but left too soon to know anything about the place. I don't visit their forum or I may post to them the same way I do on the Texas forum.

I'm so curious now that I'll have to visit it. I can't believe they too have such a mentality. Ugh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2007, 06:54 PM

20,501 posts, read 33,317,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
i do know EVERYONE isn't like this. see, here's the thing, and it's probably something a native texan isn't even aware of. it's not just the people. you see the "texas, it's a whole 'nuther country" mentality - EVERYWHERE. Billboards, businesses, TV! i remember calling my husband from houston or wherever and telling him "OMG - You can't drive 2 miles without something screaming TEXAS! in your face!" - businesses, "Bubba Ford - a big ford dealership for BIG Texas because you know, EVERYTHING is big in TEXAS!". Go a store with souvenirs and you'll see the theme on all over the darn place. You even have the slogan on license plates!!

I have a friend, native Texan, moved to NJ for work. She had a Texas flag hanging outside her house, and told me of an incident where a friend of her son insulted Texas to his face (stupid kid stuff) - he came home, told my friend, and she was LIVID. She explained to her son that he's NEVER to let anyone insult Texas like that, because "We're Texans!" (nevermind her son was born in NJ, lol). She went to the principal over it!! OMG! She's extreme, I know, but I seriously couldn't imagine this scene over ANY other state. BTW, she's back in Texas after 18 or so years and is happy, happy happy!

I have another friend in OH (native Texan) who has a Texas themed bathroom, LOL.

My old boss is a native Texan and I asked him about this after I returned from a business trip, and he completely understood what I was saying and he said the only thing he could think of was this started and propagated throughout time b/c Texas was once its own country. Otherwise, he's clueless, LOL.

I do think it's nice that Texans have pride in their state, I have pride in mine (and feel this state is SEVERLY misunderstood, much like some Texans feel about Texas), but no other place is as "in your face" about it.

Do you somewhat agree or am I overanalyzing? LOL
How should I put this. You are 100% CORRECT. If there is one thing Texas do have to much of. It's state pride. My mother, born and raised in Florida but moved to Texas because of the Army in 1987, is turned off by it. Another thing that may irk you about Texans is that we will not settle for 2nd place. And if we are 2nd place, we will make a big deal about it. Anyone seen Miss Congenality? When Miss Texas won 2nd, she drew a fake smile and put up her arms like she was complaining and nonchalantly took the crown. I know most of Hollywood is fake, but that part in that movie was actually real concerning Texans.

Old 06-29-2007, 07:02 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,541,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post
She's right. I've lived here long enough to know that is a fact. As one poster said, they're not all like that, but I would say the majority of them truly are.
I would not say that. A very very large number of Texas residents is made up of people who are not even from here. Whether it be immigrants from all over the world, military, or transplants.

Old 06-29-2007, 07:12 PM

Quote:
I would not say that. A very very large number of Texas residents is made up of people who are not even from here. Whether it be immigrants from all over the world, military, or transplants.
That's the saving grace. I should have said the native Texans or ones that came here when they were little tykes were like ILNC described, not all of course, but I would say the majority.

Old 06-29-2007, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post
That's the saving grace. I should have said the native Texans or ones that came here when they were little tykes were like ILNC described, not all of course, but I would say the majority.
Now, that we got that out of the way, what's wrong with having a little pride in your state? I mean, who doesn't have the upmost pride in the place that they call home?

Old 06-29-2007, 07:45 PM

22,999 posts, read 34,265,766 times
Quote:
Now, that we got that out of the way, what's wrong with having a little pride in your state? I mean, who doesn't have the upmost pride in the place that they call home?
Nothing is wrong with that as long you don't think it other people that live there should feel the same way. I try not to say as horrible things about Texas as I used to. But I hate living here.

Old 06-29-2007, 07:52 PM

Quote:

I agree with a little admiration (not pride), but when one over does it and as you know, many do, it's quite sickening.

Also, I was raised that God doesn't care for pride (Proverbs 8:13). The Bible tells us that pride brings destruction and a haughty spirit before a fall. It is better to be of a humble spirit with the lowly than to live it up among the rich and famous (Proverbs 16:18-19). The message paraphrase of Proverbs 16:5 goes on to say that God cannot stomach arrogance or pretense; believe me, He’ll put those upstarts in their place.”

I know the above probably belongs in the religious forum, but I'm just trying to make a point about how I feel about overdoing pride. I trust you'll understand.

I admire my home, but I believe the utmost admiration from me is directed to my children.

Old 06-29-2007, 07:56 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,581,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Yes, and unlike Texas, the constant barrage comes on a global scale. An example would be... the media! Pop culture... movies, TV, film... New York's got it all! As does L.A.... everywhere else is just flyover country. Not to mention the ex-pat NYers who can't find good pizza in their new cities of residence.
yeah, but is that the work of NY'ers - the NY media, NY businesses, NY TV? I don't think so. And you're comparing a city with a whole state! I can't think of any local business I see on TV or in person use "NYC - the best in the world" as their slogan. Nor billboards. Wait - there is a Mercedes commericial that says "We understand - we live here too" - but I think that's tailored to every city in which those commercials air. All I see on license plates is "The Empire State".

I also don't see tchockes in Newark airport with any NY "pride" on them - the closest is "I Love NY", which is decades old.

I'm really talking about things that are different than you mention above - a lot of what you say is a product of those 2 cities being the largest in the country.

I'm going to be more aware as I drive around now, and watch TV - I want to see if it's the same here as there. As I mentioned, I may be immune.

As far as the pizza - I'm sure ex-pat Texans complain they can't get good tex-mex outside Texas - and you know what? They'd be right!

Old 06-29-2007, 08:03 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,581,650 times
Quote:
All I'm saying is, how come New Yorkers don't get criticized for sayings such as "New York is the greatest place ever"..."center of the universe"? But if Texans should say something like that, they're seen as ignorant cowboy hoohahs that are cocky for no reason.
I can't answer that. I'm sure if you wander over to the NY board there are some heated debates on NYC and I'm sure some diehard NY'ers get roasted pretty good.

My post is not directed at any one texan who has pride in their state. It's about a pervasive culture I see out there, from the residents to the media to the businesses that continually barrage you with "Everything is Bigger in Texas". From the moment you wake up to the moment you shut that TV off to go to sleep, you're surrounded by it. I've been to 45 states and most every large city in this country, and I've never seen anything like it anywhere else - even in LA. I did leave a door open for NY, since I've lived here all my life and I may not even realize it - but I seriously don't think so.

Old 06-29-2007, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I can't answer that. I'm sure if you wander over to the NY board there are some heated debates on NYC and I'm sure some diehard NY'ers get roasted pretty good.

My post is not directed at any one texan who has pride in their state. It's about a pervasive culture I see out there, from the residents to the media to the businesses that continually barrage you with "Everything is Bigger in Texas". From the moment you wake up to the moment you shut that TV off to go to sleep, you're surrounded by it. I've been to 45 states and most every large city in this country, and I've never seen anything like it anywhere else - even in LA. I did leave a door open for NY, since I've lived here all my life and I may not even realize it - but I seriously don't think so.
Wow? Really? I had no idea that Texas was ran into the ground in New Jersey. Well, you can blame that on whoever is putting that stuff on television. Most people I know here are very aware of greater things outside of Texas; furthermore, when you here people going on and on about things being bigger and "better" it's mostly just playful. Personally, I don't know anyone who takes it any further than just having a love for their home state. Now, we'll say things like "Texas is where God rested on the seventh day", but no one really means it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.