Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2007, 09:19 PM

6,615 posts, read 16,492,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
yeah, but is that the work of NY'ers - the NY media, NY businesses, NY TV? I don't think so. And you're comparing a city with a whole state! I can't think of any local business I see on TV or in person use "NYC - the best in the world" as their slogan. Nor billboards. Wait - there is a Mercedes commericial that says "We understand - we live here too" - but I think that's tailored to every city in which those commercials air. All I see on license plates is "The Empire State".

I also don't see tchockes in Newark airport with any NY "pride" on them - the closest is "I Love NY", which is decades old.

I'm really talking about things that are different than you mention above - a lot of what you say is a product of those 2 cities being the largest in the country.

I'm going to be more aware as I drive around now, and watch TV - I want to see if it's the same here as there. As I mentioned, I may be immune.
How 'bout the David Letterman Show every night, "from NY, the Greatest City in the World!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2007, 10:03 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,197,880 times
Years ago when "Laugh In" was the craze, they always referred to the city where I lived then as "beautiful downtown Burbank." Then they'd show some run down area which I guess was somewhere in Burbank. Anyway, Burbank was a great place to live, and I hear still one of hope in the L.A. County area.

NYC probably is great in many ways as are most areas of the country. Some like it, some don't. Ho Hum!!

Old 06-30-2007, 08:52 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,581,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Wow? Really? I had no idea that Texas was ran into the ground in New Jersey. Well, you can blame that on whoever is putting that stuff on television. Most people I know here are very aware of greater things outside of Texas; furthermore, when you here people going on and on about things being bigger and "better" it's mostly just playful. Personally, I don't know anyone who takes it any further than just having a love for their home state. Now, we'll say things like "Texas is where God rested on the seventh day", but no one really means it.
I never said it was ran into the ground in NJ - it's something I've seen when I VISITED Texas. I don't hear diddlysquat about Texas at home. It's a vibe and culture I see when I'm there, that's it.

Old 06-30-2007, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
How 'bout the David Letterman Show every night, "from NY, the Greatest City in the World!"

I'll give you that one

Old 07-02-2007, 09:45 AM

3,073 posts, read 11,541,404 times
Quote:
I never said it was ran into the ground in NJ - it's something I've seen when I VISITED Texas. I don't hear diddlysquat about Texas at home. It's a vibe and culture I see when I'm there, that's it.
Umm, maybe that's why. Because you're in the state. But if it's not there anymore when you leave, then why does it bother you? All the commercials and media, that's just Texas being Texas. Catering to its own citizens.

Now guess what Texans see on television almost every day: how big and great New York City is. It doesn't bother me because I love NYC, but it may bother other people.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Umm, maybe that's why. Because you're in the state. But if it's not there anymore when you leave, then why does it bother you? All the commercials and media, that's just Texas being Texas. Catering to its own citizens.

Now guess what Texans see on television almost every day: how big and great New York City is. It doesn't bother me because I love NYC, but it may bother other people.

*sigh* - it's not something i dwell on, i thought we were having a conversation about the culture that i see when i visit texas. i just find it odd, and unlike ANYWHERE i've been in US. you don't see that "in your faceness" in CA, OR, OH, IN, FL, IL, the list goes on and on. you're right, it is TX being TX, but that doesn't mean I can't comment on it!

and other than the post about the david letterman show, i haven't heard any real examples about "Great NY" other than "we see it everywhere". like I said, the fact that NY and LA are the 2 largest cities in the US contribute to the media "blitz" (if there even is one). what I see in TX is different. subtle, but different. refer to my previous posts to see what i mean.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:44 AM

Quote:
*sigh* - it's not something i dwell on, i thought we were having a conversation about the culture that i see when i visit texas. i just find it odd, and unlike ANYWHERE i've been in US. you don't see that "in your faceness" in CA, OR, OH, IN, FL, IL, the list goes on and on. you're right, it is TX being TX, but that doesn't mean I can't comment on it!

and other than the post about the david letterman show, i haven't heard any real examples about "Great NY" other than "we see it everywhere". like I said, the fact that NY and LA are the 2 largest cities in the US contribute to the media "blitz" (if there even is one). what I see in TX is different. subtle, but different. refer to my previous posts to see what i mean.
I understand completely what you mean.

But Los Angeles isn't really glamourized around here. Only New York. I guarantee you that there are these commercials and television shows stating that New York is the place to be. Greatest city ever. Center of the universe. Capital of the world. And that if it isn't in New York, it doesn't matter. Like I said, it doesn't bother me, but some people don't want to hear that all the time.

Old 07-02-2007, 12:39 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,197,880 times
Quote:

I guess I've missed something because I never get the impression while watching TV that NYC is so big and so great. It may be, I don't know and don't care. I was even born there but, of course, that's a "who cares" comment as well.

911 brought more attention to NY than anything else ever has and ever could, and I feel absolutely terrible about that.

I truly understand what tahiti is saying, good posts.

Old 07-02-2007, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post
I guess I've missed something because I never get the impression while watching TV that NYC is so big and so great. It may be, I don't know and don't care. I was even born there but, of course, that's a "who cares" comment as well.

911 brought more attention to NY than anything else ever has and ever could, and I feel absolutely terrible about that.

I truly understand what tahiti is saying, good posts.
What exactly do you watch?

Old 07-02-2007, 05:56 PM

157 posts, read 478,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Yankee Stadium is another example that toots NY... but I guess...that's to be expected. It followed the example of that blue eyed man from NJ.

YouTube - new york
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.