Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 06:26 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmann101 View Post
I asked the question because I noticed that usually when people put down negative things about Texas, it was mainly because of the heat. I honestly don't think Texas is the center of the universe and I don't expect everyone to like Texas. It's just that I've noticed lately that their has been a lot of hostility toward Texas.
fair enough. has your question been answered though in the thread? can you now see why people would not want to live in texas if heat were not a factor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 06:43 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,515,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Yes I agree with this.
Texas has the mountains all over the western portion of the state. Other than the 20% of North Carolina that is the mountainous region, it is a flat, featurless plain too!

Old 06-28-2007, 06:50 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,613,090 times
Your right,its very flat in many parts.Charlotte,the coast,the triangle etc.And the weather is very hot and humid in those parts as well.See?,theres much similarity after all

Old 06-28-2007, 07:15 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,378,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
Texas has the mountains all over the western portion of the state. Other than the 20% of North Carolina that is the mountainous region, it is a flat, featurless plain too!
At least the mountains of North Carolina are beautiful.

Old 06-28-2007, 07:24 PM

332 posts, read 449,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
fair enough. has your question been answered though in the thread? can you now see why people would not want to live in texas if heat were not a factor?
Yeah I guess, but still some things people have said about Texas are wrong imo.

Old 06-28-2007, 07:56 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmann101 View Post
Yeah I guess, but still some things people have said about Texas are wrong imo.
ah, what the heck, let's beat this dead horse some more

you've gotten the following reasons:

"need real mountains in Dallas/Houston, not brown hills 10 hrs away"
"don't care for the culture of texas"
"texas "center of the universe" mentality"
"i like distinct seasons"
"i want better scenery"

i mean, what more do you want? these are opinions, you may not agree, but that doesn't make them (or you) wrong. seriously, you keep saying you understand that some people don't like texas and you don't expect everyone to love it, but the reality is, you DON'T understand.

i'm guess what you feel is WRONG is

#1 - it's too hot. you yourself have said "it's hotter than hell here" but you admit you're used to it. this is subjective, therefore there is no right and wrong. some people JUST.DON'T.LIKE.HEAT.

#2 - it's ugly, flat. a lot of it is, and i'm sure a lot of it scenic. as you said, it's a big state. of course no one has traveled however many sq miles, but i suspect these comments are from visiting the well-known parts. i've seen comments that, aside from some hills in Austin, the other metro areas are pretty flat. i've driven from houston -> san antonio and dallas -> OKC and lord almighty, was it flat! of course, flat is not necessarily a bad thing, but i believe you're taking it as such.

i've asked you this before, and you didn't answer. since you're not totally satisfied with the answers you've received - what WOULD be a valid-in-the-eyes-of-madman reason for not liking Texas! ?

Old 06-28-2007, 08:16 PM

749 posts, read 1,316,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
ahem featurless? please explain. What the hell do yall Texans have against NC anyway? Jesus,you guys sure love to bash bash bash when someone criticizes your state. I actually like Texas, its a good place, with nice people(most of the ones Iv'e spoken with anyway), good food, and some cool cities, but my goodness not everyone holds Texas above the rest like yall do. Its okay if someone doesnt like Texas. I mean im sure plenty of people out there love it; But dont go spewing comments like " besides the mountains, NC is flat and featureless" because its just a plain lie. just my two cents.

Old 06-28-2007, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
ah, what the heck, let's beat this dead horse some more

you've gotten the following reasons:

"need real mountains in Dallas/Houston, not brown hills 10 hrs away"
"don't care for the culture of texas"
"texas "center of the universe" mentality"
"i like distinct seasons"
"i want better scenery"

i mean, what more do you want? these are opinions, you may not agree, but that doesn't make them (or you) wrong. seriously, you keep saying you understand that some people don't like texas and you don't expect everyone to love it, but the reality is, you DON'T understand.

i'm guess what you feel is WRONG is

#1 - it's too hot. you yourself have said "it's hotter than hell here" but you admit you're used to it. this is subjective, therefore there is no right and wrong. some people JUST.DON'T.LIKE.HEAT.

#2 - it's ugly, flat. a lot of it is, and i'm sure a lot of it scenic. as you said, it's a big state. of course no one has traveled however many sq miles, but i suspect these comments are from visiting the well-known parts. i've seen comments that, aside from some hills in Austin, the other metro areas are pretty flat. i've driven from houston -> san antonio and dallas -> OKC and lord almighty, was it flat! of course, flat is not necessarily a bad thing, but i believe you're taking it as such.

i've asked you this before, and you didn't answer. since you're not totally satisfied with the answers you've received - what WOULD be a valid-in-the-eyes-of-madman reason for not liking Texas! ?
Well of course I'm going to take flat as a bad thing when you put it in the same sentence as "UGLY". I understand your opinions and I've said I've accepted them,but I just feel many of the things people have said about Texas on here are wrong and obviously haven't spent enough time in Texas to call it ugly.

I've never personally been to NC,but from pictures that I've seen...It looks like a nice,beautiful state but imo the majority of the state is flat and so is Texas. So to basically criticize what one state is lacking when your state is pretty much lacking it as well is hypocritical.

Also, I don't expect "EVERYONE" to like Texas. I just feel the reasons that "SOME" people hate Texas or dislike it are not good enough reasons.

Old 06-28-2007, 08:35 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,224,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinablue View Post
ahem featurless? please explain. What the hell do yall Texans have against NC anyway? Jesus,you guys sure love to bash bash bash when someone criticizes your state. I actually like Texas, its a good place, with nice people(most of the ones Iv'e spoken with anyway), good food, and some cool cities, but my goodness not everyone holds Texas above the rest like yall do. Its okay if someone doesnt like Texas. I mean im sure plenty of people out there love it; But dont go spewing comments like " besides the mountains, NC is flat and featureless" because its just a plain lie. just my two cents.

It's just a defensive attitude that Texans exhibit about their state not only in geography but in every aspect.

I read the craziest post a while back about a guy from Waco who came to Dallas to buy a vehicle. The guy was robbed of his cash, shot, and killed when he met the "would be" seller. To me this is very tragic, but a defensive Texan actually said something to the effect that she wasn't saying the boy deserved it, but people need to use their heads. No, the 20 year old kid didn't deserve it; he only thought he was making a transaction that many of us are guilty of making in about the same way at one time or another. When I read the post, I was incredulous; it seemed as though the poster was actually defending the crime in Dallas and blaming the poor young man that it happened. That is totally nuts!!

Last edited by KewGee; 06-28-2007 at 08:45 PM..

Old 06-28-2007, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinablue View Post
Honestly I have nothing against NC but it seems NC people have a problem with Texas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.