U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 11:04 PM

332 posts, read 359,180 times

Advertisements

It seems that the main thing that turns people away from Texas is the heat, so if Texas wasn't so hot, who all would rethink their decisions and move here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2007, 11:16 PM

5,608 posts, read 20,712,630 times
The culture of Texas I think I could live with-- maybe even enjoy. Other than eating steak and eggs for breakfast-- that is gross! I could probably find my niche in one of the big cities. The Big D. Never been there, but sounds like a cool place. But you'd have to take away the heat, the humidity-- and the bugs-- and throw in some mountains in there. A couple of brown hills 10 hrs away in far west Texas doesn't count; you'd have to throw in some real mountains by Dallas and Houston. Texas state pride is okay, but get rid of the confederate flags. In the meantime, I'll pass. I'd rather live in Colorado or Arizona. Or even California. But hey-- I'll take you up on the reverse global warming challenge!

Old 06-27-2007, 07:07 AM

3,161 posts, read 8,093,499 times
The heat is one of the reasons I couldn't live there. I like to visit but I don't think the whole culture of Texas is for me. It is a bit too conservative and too much Texas is the center of the universe mentality in my ever so humble opinion. I just didn't get that "I could live here" vibe from any place I have been in Texas. I am not knocking the state, it has some lovely areas and is nice to visit but it just isn't for me.

Old 06-27-2007, 07:09 AM

12,284 posts, read 31,759,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
The heat is one of the reasons I couldn't live there. I like to visit but I don't think the whole culture of Texas is for me. It is a bit too conservative and too much Texas is the center of the universe mentality in my ever so humble opinion. I just didn't get that "I could live here" vibe from any place I have been in Texas. I am not knocking the state, it has some lovely areas and is nice to visit but it just isn't for me.
i couldn't agree more. I did like San Antonio, but not in a "yeah, I could live here" kind of way.

eta - the fact that this question was even asked bolsters your "center of the universe" theory. no offense intended!

Old 06-27-2007, 08:55 AM

18,637 posts, read 27,047,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
Well the cities in itself is not really conservative but the metropolitan areas are. However, I was raised in Texas by Austin and the heat is one of the reasons why I will probably not go back. That and I like seasons so much is probably why I like Toronto and Chicago so much. But other than that, I love Texas and if I moved back there, I would choose Houston. However, I like Dallas alot as well and love tha it's progressing it's transportation system alot better than Houston.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:59 AM

21,635 posts, read 30,241,546 times
The heat is the main reason I want to move. But even it didn't have horrible heat I would still want to move to a place with better scenery.

Old 06-27-2007, 12:08 PM

792 posts, read 2,903,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
The heat is the main reason I want to move. But even it didn't have horrible heat I would still want to move to a place with better scenery.

I agree- Texas is one of those very few states I never would consider living for just that reason, heat or no heat. I know the vicinity of Austin is alluring, but on average, if you randomly plopped me on a piece of land in any state without any say in the manner, Texas is one of the last states I'd liably want anything to do with.

Old 06-27-2007, 04:00 PM

332 posts, read 359,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
i couldn't agree more. I did like San Antonio, but not in a "yeah, I could live here" kind of way.

eta - the fact that this question was even asked bolsters your "center of the universe" theory. no offense intended!
I asked the question because I noticed that usually when people put down negative things about Texas, it was mainly because of the heat. I honestly don't think Texas is the center of the universe and I don't expect everyone to like Texas. It's just that I've noticed lately that their has been a lot of hostility toward Texas.

I've lived in Texas my whole life and I guess I'm immune to the heat and also I really admire and like the beauty of Texas. What some call a flat dry land, ugly, is what some may see as something very interesting and beautiful as well.

Old 06-28-2007, 12:27 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,264,504 times
Default Texas is the Best state I've ever lived in

I've lived in NY, PA, NM, AR, VA & Texas. Texas is by far the best state I've ever lived in. I miss it dearly. People that know it love it and do feel that there's no place in the world like it, because there isn't! I spent 20 years of my 48 years on this earth there. No place has felt like home before or after I left. Unfortunately, I don't know if I'll ever be back or not. The heat can be brutal but the people are the best in the world! God Bless Texas You spoiled me......

Old 06-28-2007, 12:45 PM

5,716 posts, read 14,568,708 times
Most of it would still be too flat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or