Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 06:45 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,602,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
He's doing what he has to do , and I give him all the credit in the world, but I couldn't help but notice the temperature difference--they're going from one of the warmest areas to one of the coldest; Fargo is about as cold as it gets in the continental US...
since he Mom used to bundle him up in jackets, hats, and scrafs when it was only in the 60s, but as you say, you gotta do what you gotta do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 01:20 AM

2,106 posts, read 6,607,995 times
I'd rather work manual labor or random stuff for a temp agency in pretty much any other state then go to either of those. I like urban settings, lots of people, things to do, opposed to vast nothingness, very little people, and mainly rural settings.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:30 AM

780 posts, read 1,336,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
I'd rather work manual labor or random stuff for a temp agency in pretty much any other state then go to either of those. I like urban settings, lots of people, things to do, opposed to vast nothingness, very little people, and mainly rural settings.
I think you'd have some people for you and some against you. Living in a city is great and all, but how much can you really do and enjoy if you're out of work and homeless? They might have vast areas of nothingness, but one thing they do have are more of their workforce employed.

Old 08-25-2010, 05:41 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,342,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylar0201 View Post
i think you'd have some people for you and some against you. Living in a city is great and all, but how much can you really do and enjoy if you're out of work and homeless? They might have vast areas of nothingness, but one thing they do have are more of their workforce employed.
+1

Old 08-25-2010, 08:31 AM

92,061 posts, read 122,262,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
I like Nebraska more for employment opportunity/economically. They have a city in the same ball park as Tucson, Albuquerque, El Paso, etc..

Omaha is a very fast growing city. And besides the two Dakotas, Nebraska has the 3rd lowest unemployment rate and actually already have a nice sized city set and ready.

But in any case, I'm doing fine where I am. Haha, freakin' baller state.
True and Omaha is a city with a little bit of everything. Lincoln wouldn't be bad either. They are only something like 30 miles apart too. So, there is something there for those that like a more urban setting.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:30 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,503,739 times
Quote:
Yep, but when people hear anything about ND or SD, they instantly think of a VERY cold place, flat or nothing to do, lots of farmland-preconceived or not, I think that those 3 things there alone keep a lot of folks from outside ND or SD from moving there. I think the same could be said for NE, most of WY and MT too--the weather is a big turn-off for most folks.

ND just gets a bad rap I think then it otherwise would based on those. Same here--people think of Oregon and "rain all the time" is what they perceive it to be. Not that they're far off from the truth LOL, but there is more here than just the rain.

Of course, some states like the midwest states in particular, are lower in unemployment than others, but truth betold, when the economy recovers, it will affect all 50 states and then it'll be like folks saying something like "well I'll move to Florida because their unemployment is lower than California"--even though it might only be by a percentage point, but one can also tell looking at economics of each state which ones usually fare well and ones usually fare bad during tough economic times.

For instance, when I moved here in 1994, Portland had the 2nd best economy in the nation ( only behind Seattle due to the dot.com boom ) and hi-tech places opened up all over the place, but then I learned shortly after moving here that has been the only time from about 1993-1997 when Oregon actually had a "good economy". Most times than not the last 25 yrs, it falters horribly with each bad economic time. Had I known that, of course I would have never moved here. I think folks moving into ND or SD should look at the states stats relative to that as well as I think sometimes that could be a tell-tale of what's to come.

ND ( particularly Fargo I heard ) is only doing well--or at least substantially better than any other state, because their banks didn't get caught up in the sub-prime mortgage con that occurred a few years back the banks started. They were much more particular with who they gave out loans too--and it's paid off for them in the long run.

Now, not every recession is related to mortgage meltdowns, so it'd be interesting to see how Fargo ( or the state in general-or any state with better than normal unemployment #'s fares ) during other reasons recessions occur.
I think the reason things didn't decline is that it didn't accelerate like most places in the years leading up to 2007-2008. Places that boom tend to bust in just as spectacularly a fashion.

I just see the two states as having low unemployment based in some part on demographic factors.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:06 AM

2,106 posts, read 6,607,995 times
Quote:
I think you'd have some people for you and some against you. Living in a city is great and all, but how much can you really do and enjoy if you're out of work and homeless? They might have vast areas of nothingness, but one thing they do have are more of their workforce employed.
Yeah, well I am employed here in Cleveland, even though most people think no one works here. The city actually has a lower unemployment rate than the national average. I also like culture and diversity.. not to mention cultural arts and music. You can't find much of that in either state. What's the importance of having a job/some money if I can't use it for the things I like?

The cost of living is very cheap here too, and it's one of the safest metros in the nation.

Everything I just said above is going to absolutely shock RenaudFR, who hates Cleveland despite never stepping a foot here.

And lastly I love living near the lake here in Cleveland, which isn't possible in ND or SD. I'm an avid sailor and fisher having lived in Hawaii:

rocky river - Google Maps

Rocky River: rocky river - Google Maps

Lakewood: lakewood ohio - Google Maps - my neighborhood

Bay Village: bay village - Google Maps

Bratenahl: bratenahl - Google Maps

Cleveland West: cleveland lake ave - Google Maps

Old 08-25-2010, 11:20 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,342,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
Yeah, well I am employed here in Cleveland, even though most people think no one works here. The city actually has a lower unemployment rate than the national average. I also like culture and diversity.. not to mention cultural arts and music. You can't find much of that in either state. What's the importance of having a job/some money if I can't use it for the things I like?

The cost of living is very cheap here too, and it's one of the safest metros in the nation.

Everything I just said above is going to absolutely shock RenaudFR, who hates Cleveland despite never stepping a foot here.

And lastly I love living near the lake here in Cleveland, which isn't possible in ND or SD. I'm an avid sailor and fisher having lived in Hawaii:

rocky river - Google Maps

Lakewood: lakewood ohio - Google Maps - my neighborhood

Bay Village: bay village - Google Maps

Bratenahl: bratenahl - Google Maps

I don't hate Cleveland ! It's a just too anti-business, but maybe things will change.

Old 09-25-2010, 04:24 PM

780 posts, read 1,336,675 times
[quote=WeSoHood;15619264] Yeah, well I am employed here in Cleveland, even though most people think no one works here. The city actually has a lower unemployment rate than the national average. I also like culture and diversity.. not to mention cultural arts and music. You can't find much of that in either state. What's the importance of having a job/some money if I can't use it for the things I like?

True, but I think the whole point originally brought up, was that had you lived in a place like a city or town in one of the Dakota states, statistically, you'd be better off. Fargo, for example, has a mind-boggling *97%* of its workforce, employed--actually working--not living off unemployment or homeless.

Nowhere else in the US currently is doing that well.

That is better than most cities or states as a whole, do during even great economic times. I've heard of a few people who despise any cold weather, but are seriously thinking of moving there just because it is the easiest way to find work. People are willing to give up a lot to have a job.

If you like living near lakes, there is always Minnesota which is also doing better than Ohio in terms of employment but that is getting off the subject of employment in the Dakota states.

Old 09-26-2010, 11:31 AM

3,804 posts, read 6,144,327 times
I'm gonna say that while a lot of people may be employed there you may be out of luck for a lot of work depending on your career path. I think the earlier assessments of the population size and makeup being a perfect fit for the number and type of available jobs is probably more correct than to assume some sort of boom is going on although North Dakota is having an oil boom it doesn't seem to have reached the stage where anyone can move in and find employment in their field in days because they're so shorthanded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.