Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 06:04 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,447,954 times

Advertisements

I think it's likely just thinking in terms of population and economic decline, which makes sense to me. If you want to think in less simplified terms you probably aren't their audience. A few oddities even there, but it looks okay going by what they mean. Although "dying" is probably too loaded a term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 06:11 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,929,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cann View Post
Of course I do, I know more about cities than 99% of the people I know. I didn't study Geography and Urban Planning in College for fun. And, I don't make over 20 posts a day on this website because I know zero about cities.
According to statistics from city-data on your profile, you post over 14 times a day and Metro Matt posts between 4 and 5 posts a day. I don't know what this has to do with a person's knowledge on the subject. As for you "knowing more about cities" than 99 percent of the people you know, that is simply your opinion and cannot be validated by facts.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:17 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,594,138 times
Besides being the capital, Albany also has a major SUNY college. Then you have the surrounding burbs where many people live. No, I would hardly call it a dying city. Ever been around there during RUSH HOUR?

As far as Atlantic City, why would anyone fly to MIAMI or Ft. Laduerdale in the SUMMER when they can go a short drive to go to the beach in Atlantic City? Maybe the Winter, but certainly not the SUMMERS. Again, check out the Jersey Tpke. in the summer and see if all these people are spending hundreds of dollars to go to Florida in JULY.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:29 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,447,954 times
I had decided against this, but what the heck.

The word "city" doesn't necessarily refer to just large metropolitan areas. So here's some possible alternates for "declining cities."

Clarksdale, Mississippi
Decatur, Illinois
Forrest City, Arkansas
Galesburg, Illinois
Greenville, Mississippi
Steubenville-Weirton, Ohio
Selma, Alabama
Tallulah, Louisiana
Wheeling, West Virginia
Youngstown, Ohio - I think it's on their list.

This is just going by a mix of population figures and unemployment. I don't know much about some of these, but Wheeling sounds interesting and it would be great to hear of arguments against them as declining.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:08 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,435,561 times
I agree with some of the assertions made here by my fellow posters. Allentown for instance has had an EXTREMELY level population for decades compared to many other Northeastern manufacturing centers. I would have probably added Scranton,Pa....rather than Allentown; since it's city population is now approximately one half it's peak population and it has not yet stabilized....though hopefully it will soon. I say these lists need to be "taken with a grain of salt" as other posters have said.

Allentown, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

File:USA-Allentown-PA 8thStBridge.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Scranton, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

File:Scranton PA.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-26-2010, 09:43 PM

205 posts, read 477,039 times
The criteria for their list was mind blowing.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:44 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,288,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Besides being the capital, Albany also has a major SUNY college. Then you have the surrounding burbs where many people live. No, I would hardly call it a dying city. Ever been around there during RUSH HOUR?

As far as Atlantic City, why would anyone fly to MIAMI or Ft. Laduerdale in the SUMMER when they can go a short drive to go to the beach in Atlantic City? Maybe the Winter, but certainly not the SUMMERS. Again, check out the Jersey Tpke. in the summer and see if all these people are spending hundreds of dollars to go to Florida in JULY.
Airline bookings and hotel occupancy rates tell the real story - look them up if you think AC in ANY WAY even comes close.

Affordable airfare to Florida is widely credited with being responsible for the demise of wide portions of the NJ shore - check out Asbury Park or AC in person sometime (even in the summer), you'll get a clue then.

Old 08-28-2010, 06:14 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,067,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Airline bookings and hotel occupancy rates tell the real story - look them up if you think AC in ANY WAY even comes close.

Affordable airfare to Florida is widely credited with being responsible for the demise of wide portions of the NJ shore - check out Asbury Park or AC in person sometime (even in the summer), you'll get a clue then.
This statement doesn't really make sense b/c AC is crowded as hell every single summer (I go every year). Florida/Miami taking AC business hit around the 50's through the 70's, that was the original reason for AC losing the crown.

Airline bookings and occupancy rates don't tell an accurate story b/c a big chunk of the US population can drive to AC (regional), it still commands high visitation rates.

The B'walk is one of the most visited spots in the US:

Top 25 Most Visited Tourist Destinations in America

America,destinations, Most ,Tourist,Visited | Travel and Tourist
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.