U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 04:46 PM

76 posts, read 408,974 times

Advertisements

I'm sure most people will automatically pick college towns as hotspots for intellectuals and creative-types (that's not a euphemism for drug-addled hippies), but it seems like most college towns are also ghettos, and I am looking for a place with well-below average crime.

On top of that, I am super duper white, and I would prefer weather that is not too hot or sunny. San Fran, in all it's mild weather glory, seems like it's probably filled with smartpeoples--but more creative types than intellectuals (and even then, more stoner hippies than legitimate creative types).

I have nothing against hippies, as I would also prefer an eco-friendly, conservationist mindset in the community, but I'm afraid to add too many preferences here and not get any feedback.

Any large, safe intellectual communities without hot weather that you can recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 06:58 AM

153 posts, read 626,200 times
Seattle and Pittsburgh always rate in the top 5 or 10 most literate cities and probably in the top 10 for least sun. In Pittsburgh, Pitt and Carnegie Mellon universities aren't ghetto areas and are very near more desirable/wealthier neighborhoods of the city.

Old 06-28-2007, 07:15 AM

4,102 posts, read 7,369,012 times
I agree with Seattle. But... Lol... Pittsburgh? I thought intellectuals were into fine wine and cheese, not sausage and french fry sandwiches. But I digress...

I don't think most college towns are ghettos--most are fairly safe places. I would say Northampton, Mass would be a good idea because it is not a very hot place. It is fairly small, however. For something larger, maybe Cambridge, MA. And in any place where there are intellectuals there will be a lot of "creative types" and "drug addled hippies."

Old 06-28-2007, 08:02 AM

12,284 posts, read 31,788,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
not sausage and french fry sandwiches.
yummmmmmm, primantis......................they rock!

Primanti Brothers Restaurant - Pittsburgh's Most Famous Sandwiches

Old 06-28-2007, 08:29 AM

87,020 posts, read 102,689,903 times
Minneapolis also ranks as a highly educated city. Don't know how really intellectual it is however. It does have several colleges and universities in the cities and nearby. It does get hot there in the summer, but the summer is short.

Old 06-28-2007, 12:04 PM

20,861 posts, read 35,992,597 times
Post Info

I would be sure to add some of the smaller College towns as well.

Lawrence, Kansas- great College town (University of Kansas), intellectual atmosphere, a short drive to the KC metro, and has a variety of housing stock.
Iowa City, Iowa- Another great College town (University of Iowa) with an intellectual atompshere, only about a 1-1.5 hour drive to the Des Moines area. The town also has a lot of neat restaruants and shopping.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 06-28-2007 at 10:42 PM..

Old 06-28-2007, 07:47 PM

Thanks for the feedback! Even small towns in the sticks are good options for me as well, so don't feel limited to the Seattle-sized places. I love NJ suburbia, as uncool as that sounds.

As per the fine wine and cheese comment (haha), I am not looking for pretention and money, so much as people who highly value independent thinking, learning for the sake of it, etc. I don't care if it's populated by desperately poor young people, and I don't care if it's mostly populated by elderly people. I may be young, but I like peace and quiet when it comes to home life (although I will also consider cities anyway). I can always commute somewhere bustling and busy to combat boredom. Well-educated people around my age are either mostly hipster morons who snort their dinners, or boring, corporate-climbing Generic McTardos, and I'm tired of that nonsense.

At the other end of the spectrum are Silicon Valley ubernerds, which may be a little too geeky for me, and their field of interest too specialized.

But even Cambridge--which was a great thought, BTW, as one I seriously considered myself--has way too much crime for my liking; it's around the national average. I'm hoping for someplace with crime well below that. And thanks for the Midwestern suggestions, as I'm not familiar at all with you plains-people.

I have to disagree about university towns! From the few I have seen anyway, there's usually pockets of awesomeness among endless crime hells that I don't want to be near. I'm a girl, and I don't love the idea of Smith & Wesson being the great equalizer for making a residential area fair game for women. I never want to have to own a gun. Maybe I'm wrong about college towns, though; perhaps this is just the aftermath of having gone to Rutgers. Shudder!

I won't find my shangri-la, but I'm willing to relocate anywhere to get close--maybe even internationally--while I have some youth to kill. That reminds me...my ideal weather, from what I've researched online, seems to fall right at Dublin, Ireland. Ha! Oh well...

NJ is really nice, and I don't know why it gets such a bad rap. But it seems like all the highly educated, nice suburbs in my state are populated by busy corporate-types, and the community would lack any sense of cohesiveness thanks to absent contributions from its smartpeople residents. I'm not looking for shameless, capitalist, automaton monsters!

OK...did that clarify anything, or did it add too many weird variables to the mix?!

Last edited by NJ K; 06-28-2007 at 08:37 PM..

Old 06-29-2007, 01:22 AM

4,247 posts, read 9,375,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
Minneapolis also ranks as a highly educated city. Don't know how really intellectual it is however. It does have several colleges and universities in the cities and nearby. It does get hot there in the summer, but the summer is short.
I second Minneapolis, as I'm from there and went to the U of M. It's a good school, although truth is I didn't have to think there. My thinking came at SDSU (San Diego State University, MBA program), wherein I really had to think.

I lived in the Bay Area and worked with people who had, at a minimum, master's degrees. That was interesting. I never got bored. I think it's a given that anyone with a master's level or higher is going to be able to hold a conversation at a higher level. San Francisco has quite a few educated people.

Old 06-29-2007, 06:20 AM

402 posts, read 2,035,413 times
What else are you wanting? There are SOOO many variables!!

I LOVE where we just moved to, State College, PA.....

It's been HOT the past few days, but unusual for here (it's going to be mid 70's this weekend...ahhhhh...).

It's where Penn State is at, nestled in the mountains, so there's LOTS of outdoor activities (my favorite part...).

I did have a young, single female client yesterday that moved here 3 years ago, and I asked her how she liked it...and she said she loved it, although it is hard to meet others like herself (not a huge night life unless you're in college...).

Here...it's all 4 seasons, with none of them severe. Environmentally conscious community, prob because many of them are academics. Lots of state parks within a short distance, and lots of bike/walk paths in town. Awesome schools. People complain not good shopping, I don't care about that!

Good luck!

Old 06-29-2007, 10:12 AM

That sounds perfect, veteg! I know, there are too many variables. I tried to clarify what my ideal would be while keeping them at a minimum. (I had to keep reminding myself, "There is no shangri-la, there is no shangri-la!") Thanks for the input.

To keep the variables under control, this is the kind of community atmosphere I'm interested in, in order of priority:

1. Intellectualism highly valued
2. Exceptionally safe/not ghetto
3. Not hot
4. Although wealthy neighborhoods are always nice, no neighborhoods mainly comprised of mindless, capitalist pigs; people who care less about the rat race and more about living
5. Environmentally aware, but no dumb stoner hippies

For example, I lived in New Brunswick, which has its fair share of young students, great restaurants, and a train to NYC. But it's SO ghetto and dangerous. Summer is a bi*** in July, too. And if the intellectual atmosphere is mainly comprised of transient students, that doesn't really reflect the whole community at large; those kids are just there 'til they sign on with Goldman Sachs, then they check out to start their real life (read: long, soul-crushing death). I'm hoping to find a place where people of all age groups are smartpeople who settle in the area for the same reasons.

I read about the culture of Iceland being based on a love of education, progressive ideas, and intellectual pursuits, so I'm jealous and sad America is so lame in comparison. I'm looking for a place with a community culture like that, because if one more person tries to explain to me who Kristin Cavallari is, I'm going to blow my brains out, because they're useless here anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or