Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 08:35 PM

5,975 posts, read 13,112,439 times

Advertisements

I replied in another thread, that Americas fundamental problem is that is just too darn big.

I think the US should follow the example of the former Czechoslovakia and split itself up peacefully.

Do you think the US would much better if it was split into more manageable units. Sort of like the European Union, or the British Commonwealth?

Americas values were formed when it was truly a frontier society. And those values of government should leave their hands completely out of peoples lives is best suited in the least populated parts of the country, where you can potentially have a decent quality of life in a very rural area, doing odd jobs for example. The Intermountain west would be best suited to this.

Meanwhile California and the NE part of the country might very well be best suited to having a governmnent thats modeled after ones in western Europe. With its diversified, population with large gaps between haves and have nots.

Then, we can do voluntary population exchanges. To whichever region we like best. Another the southwestern states can designate geographic districts where Spanish can be used as the public language (signs, etc.) but not outside those districts. They do this in Europe.

What do you think. Do you think it would be best, if the US was split into something more like the European Union or the British commonwealth. Do you think the US needs some real reorganizing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 09:13 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times
Due to conflicting values and beliefs in several regions of the country, national politics are so polarizing to the point of paralysis of progress (however you deem "progress"). Regional interests would probably be better suited if the US were to be split up.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:45 PM

1,213 posts, read 2,321,234 times
If that idea were even suggested and widely supported there would be a violent revolution in this country. We're more likely to see Canada taken over by the US, and that's never going to happen.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:59 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,222,939 times
Yes, and here's a rough outline how it should be

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/images/norms/regions.gif

AK and HI can be by themselves, or sell AK to Canada. I've heard some Texans claim, 'I'm from the great country of Texas.' Ummm okay, that's fine, if the split ever happens they can change history books to their heart's content.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:05 PM

224 posts, read 604,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVitamin View Post
Yes, and here's a rough outline how it should be

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/images/norms/regions.gif

AK and HI can be by themselves, or sell AK to Canada. I've heard some Texans claim, 'I'm from the great country of Texas.' Ummm okay, that's fine, if the split ever happens they can change history books to their heart's content.
I would say as a Californian that we have closer ties to Nevada than Oregon and Washington, but in general I would support a block of Western states operating as one unit. It would never happen, and having said that, I am proud to be an American.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:44 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,480,380 times
But wouldn't some states have to be split down the middle? States like MS, TN, and VA are arguably transition zones while FL and LA are down right inimical.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:10 AM

765 posts, read 1,859,934 times
America is darn big, but that is why we are the world's most powerful nation militarily, politically and economically.

In Europe, they strive to be like the US because they really want unification and become the United States of Europe. The problem there now is that each country has their own language and culture, making it harder for the people there to give up their national pride. There is still tension among European nations, particularly in the Balkans. This makes the unification process much more difficult. The people in Europe are not really united at all.

In the US, the national pride far exceeds the state pride. There is no bickering and tension between residents of different states (although in politics, states compete). If you're from Georgia and I'm from California, who cares? But if you're from UK and I'm from France, well that could be a whole different story. In this sense, the US is really united.

The fact that America is so vast is what makes it so great. This country has such a beautiful and diverse geography providing ample resources, farmlands and trade routes. Geographically, the US is the most impressive nation in the world. I cannot fathom a break up of this great nation. In fact, that is what our federalist government is all about. We have a national government, state governments, counties and then townships. Each level, there is government with their own set of powers. This is unlike China, a country with a unitarian government.

Old 08-27-2010, 05:33 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
We aren't too big. If one were to look at a map of the US with population density you would see massive concentrations of population on the coasts and a smattering elsewhere. In order to continue our prosperity and development, Americans are going to have to get over their geographic issues and look elsewhere for jobs/opportunity. Examples already showing signs of emerging prosperity and development:

Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Omaha, Nebraska
Fargo, North Dakota
Boise, Idaho

Old 08-27-2010, 07:47 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,868,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Due to conflicting values and beliefs in several regions of the country, national politics are so polarizing to the point of paralysis of progress (however you deem "progress"). Regional interests would probably be better suited if the US were to be split up.
A big problem is that the Federal Government has overstepped its bounds. According to the founding documents of this country, states should be dealing with these regional concerns via their state boundaries. The fact is that too many things are coming out of Washington these days.

I don't think that America is too big. I think that America is being mismanaged because government is too busy getting into things that should be left to the people and/or their own states.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:07 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,368,615 times
No no and no.I'm french and I want to live in the US because it's the US, a great country with so many cultures, ethnicities, races, opinions, tastes, countryside, geography, weather...The diversity is the greatness of this fabulous country, It's horrible to want to split it :/
The US will stay the US.It's too easy to resolve conflicts and differences on this way, and it's not American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.