U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 12:33 PM

1,965 posts, read 5,786,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katerinaver View Post
Hello, What do you think is a good state to live where:

There is low crime
good school
safe neighbors
smaller town/ city feel
good jobs (teaching)
and lots of snow, or at least average amount

thanks.
Colorado
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2008, 03:41 PM

2,257 posts, read 6,968,983 times
Anywhere in northern New England - Maine, New Hampshire, or Vermont.

New Hampshire is currently ranked as both the #1 "most livable state" and the #1 safest state by CQ Press. Maine and Vermont are also ranked very high on both lists, being the 2nd and 4th safest states in the country, respectively.

The New England states are also known for their high standards of education and all six are ranked within the top 15. (Vermont is #1) I'd say it's probably a good part of the country to look for a teaching job.

Northern New England is also well-known for its small towns and villages with centralized populations. New Hampshire only has 11 towns and cities with more than 20,000 people; Maine has 8 and Vermont only has one.

And we also get the most snow east of the Rockies, from the mountains to the beach.

Old 07-05-2008, 07:26 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,047,258 times
Colorado is honestly probably the most well-rounded. Followed by maybe Massachusetts or NJ.

Old 07-06-2008, 02:42 AM

48,516 posts, read 83,890,268 times
Colorado if you can take the winters. IMO the most beautiful stae in the union but did i say its cold.Its cold. beautiful summers for about two months.

Old 07-06-2008, 03:14 AM

14,330 posts, read 19,536,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Northwestern NJ!!!! Pick yourself up off the floor. It's extremely safe, excellent schools, wonderful friendly people, small town feel (my particular town has about 17K pop, and I swear sometimes I feel I know all of them -we also made a list of 100 safest towns in the US), great teaching oppys where you can make close to 6 figures, and we get more snow than NYC (i'd say on average close to twice as much). I liken this area to more New England-y than NY/NJ metro.

Which towns are you referring to and what is this area like for black professionals? Thanks.

Old 07-06-2008, 06:02 AM

12,084 posts, read 34,148,649 times
Verseau, where did you get your population figures? Maine does NOT have 8 cities that are over 200,000. Maines largest city is Portland which has just under 65,000. Total state population is around 1.3 million. Now over 20,000 I could see, and even that would be a stretch, I can think of 4 off the top of my hear and I lived there off and on for 20 years up until last month.

I have looked at the states ranking from the link you have posted before and frankly it is (like all lists) skewed. I have been to several different schools myself across the country and have had my kids in different schools across a couple of states, Maine doesn't come close to other states in overall education than several that are ranked much lower. That list favors states that are smaller in size and population over states that have larger populations, and more diversity in their school systems. I think everybody loses sight of the fact you do not deal with a statewide school system but school systems on an individual town/regional level. Every "bad" state has excellent schools in them ans well as every "good" state has bad schools in them. A state ranking of "smartness" doesn't hold water under closer observation. It has to be curriculum of schools that are looked at and not how much money is spent per child, as well as the basis for what is considered " Proficient or Better" in those states. A state that expects/demands less from their general population students will naturally rank much higher than states that expect/demand more from those same students on the list you linked to based on the criteria they use to determine ranking.

Old 07-06-2008, 07:16 AM

46,818 posts, read 36,996,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Verseau, where did you get your population figures? Maine does NOT have 8 cities that are over 200,000. Maines largest city is Portland which has just under 65,000. Total state population is around 1.3 million. Now over 20,000 I could see, and even that would be a stretch, I can think of 4 off the top of my hear and I lived there off and on for 20 years up until last month.

I have looked at the states ranking from the link you have posted before and frankly it is (like all lists) skewed. I have been to several different schools myself across the country and have had my kids in different schools across a couple of states, Maine doesn't come close to other states in overall education than several that are ranked much lower. That list favors states that are smaller in size and population over states that have larger populations, and more diversity in their school systems. I think everybody loses sight of the fact you do not deal with a statewide school system but school systems on an individual town/regional level. Every "bad" state has excellent schools in them ans well as every "good" state has bad schools in them. A state ranking of "smartness" doesn't hold water under closer observation. It has to be curriculum of schools that are looked at and not how much money is spent per child, as well as the basis for what is considered " Proficient or Better" in those states. A state that expects/demands less from their general population students will naturally rank much higher than states that expect/demand more from those same students on the list you linked to based on the criteria they use to determine ranking.
He said twenty thousand. You need to read it again.

Old 07-06-2008, 07:18 AM

46,818 posts, read 36,996,604 times
Default Texas

My pick for best state to live is an easy one. Texas. In spite of the summer heat, we do have great weather year-round. We also have great cities that are continuing to add business opportunities and people.

Come on down sometime.

Old 07-06-2008, 07:26 AM

12,084 posts, read 34,148,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
He said twenty thousand. You need to read it again.
WOW, must have been a long night . Oops, my mistake.

Old 07-06-2008, 09:07 AM

2,257 posts, read 6,968,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
I'm not suggesting that those lists are a foolproof guide to state education systems, but the fact that those states are ranked at the top of the list and not the bottom should at least mean something. Of course schools vary dramatically by town to town, but having spoken to people who were once teachers in one of the lower-ranked states (like California), they were significantly more satisfied with their positions in New England. I know it's anecdotal evidence, but I don't see any reason why northern New England *wouldn't* be a good location for the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or