Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 11:08 AM

235 posts, read 344,380 times

Advertisements

The most "brilliant" and "perfect" urban grid in America is the city plan laid out for Savannah in 1733 and still largely intact and unchanged today. Impossible to believe that a street grid designed 270 years ago not only still functions but also accomodates auto AND pedestrian traffic almost seamlessly. As the city grew and developed decade by decade city leaders continued the basic grid from north to south for 10 miles. Now it is being expanded to the west where natural barriers (water) are less of an issue. Warner Robins is the only other city I know of in GA that is built on a strict grid pattern, but that's because it was established by the military during WWII on thousands of acres of condemned farmland that was already flat and treeless. WR is one of the fastest growing cities in GA and continues to spread south and west on a very rigid grid pattern that reminds me a LOT of Texas cities. It looks very much like areas around DFW..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 11:10 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
There's another trick that is helpful to get your bearings in Gainesville. Just remember "April" - all Avenues, Places, Roads & Lanes run East-West. Everything else runs North-South. Makes it very easy to navigate the area.

that is if you can find north/ south. my step mom is an idiot and can't tell directions, so those won't help her any.

she is fine on a grid, but other than that she is hopelessly lost

Old 08-31-2010, 11:17 AM

235 posts, read 344,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLnSAV View Post
OH YEAH ... even though they're laid out on a grid, a lot of Florida cities use a hyper-multiple numbered street system that I just find mind-boggling ...

400 40th Terrace Lane SE, Gainesville, FL
400 NW 40th Terrace East, Gainesville, FL
400 SW 40th Terrace Drive, Gainesville, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
There's another trick that is helpful to get your bearings in Gainesville. Just remember "April" - all Avenues, Places, Roads & Lanes run East-West. Everything else runs North-South. Makes it very easy to navigate the area.
THAT'S easy?! LOL ...

Old 08-31-2010, 11:19 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
the more widespread a city is on a map, the more easy it is to get lost. compacted cities like nyc, san francisco, boston, etc... are extremely easy to navigate around.
I take it you've never been to Boston.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:39 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,484,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
that is if you can find north/ south. my step mom is an idiot and can't tell directions, so those won't help her any.

she is fine on a grid, but other than that she is hopelessly lost
Lol, if you have no sense of direction you're just lost regardless. Let's just say that landmarks will mean much more to you in that case.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:52 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Lol, if you have no sense of direction you're just lost regardless. Let's just say that landmarks will mean much more to you in that case.

yeah that is how she gives direstions.

She does the up and down thing. funny thing is her up is south and her down is north (most of the time). So she will tell you go up towards the Jack in the box and then turn at the street after it....

Old 08-31-2010, 04:15 PM

307 posts, read 802,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
So she will tell you go up towards the Jack in the box and then turn at the street after it....
That's how I give directions sometimes. Landmarks are easy .

Old 08-31-2010, 05:38 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,547,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcintyre1s View Post
That's how I give directions sometimes. Landmarks are easy .
Go down Cobb and make a left at the Big Chicken (a really big KFC with moving chicken head).

Landmarks are great

Old 08-31-2010, 05:53 PM

845 posts, read 2,830,631 times
Yes, I've visited Gainesville, hometown of the University of FL. I was impressed by its logical numbered street name pattern, however, it's funny how that naming system also covers many rural farming areas of the surrounding county too, like you're driving for many miles past farms and the signs say 200th street, 300th street, etc. out in the middle of nowhere.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:57 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I take it you've never been to Boston.

on foot I find Boston easy, by car, can be a pain, it winds and has non sensical one ways that get you further from your destination

recently driving into Cambridge from PVD I got more lsot following the GPS, I thought it knew a shortcut, or user errror, still not sure
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.