Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2010, 05:28 PM

528 posts, read 885,832 times

Advertisements

We're moving ourselves from Portland, Oregon to Midland, Michigan (at least temporarily until we find a home further north). I'm going to be driving our car with the boys, my husband is driving the big yellow truck.

I've heard differing stories about I-80 vs I-70 and which is steeper, which is a more gradual climb. We're taking a truck, I know we're in for heights, but the more gradual the climb the better.

Since they're both major northern arteries, I'm guessing they have services along the way, and we just need to watch the gas gauge.

Thoughts?

Bonus points for answers that compare those two routes to notable passes on the I-5 corridor. We took a van from LA to Portland, so we've been through the Grapevine and the high points in Southern Oregon.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 06:44 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Actually I'll appease your I-70/I-80 anxiety a bit by telling you neither is the better route...or quicker.
Drive out of Portland on I-84 east to I-82 north to Spokane. Catch I -90 east to I-94 in Billings, Montana. Continue on I-94 east to Fargo, North Dakota. Pick up US 10/Wisconsin 210 to Duluth, Minnesota. Take US2 east out of Duluth to I-75 in Mackinaw City, Michigan. Take I-75 south to Bay City, Michigan. Then US 10 a few miles west to Midland.

You'll experience some high altitude in the Bitterroot Range in Northern Idaho and western Montana but it's much less than what I-70 or I-80 would provide. Good luck and safe travels!

Portland, OR to Midland, MI - Google Maps

Old 08-31-2010, 07:38 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Actually, both ARE quicker than the above suggested route. I've been all the routes mentioned so far and while the one Kyle suggests is a bit more scenic, it WILL add at least 6 hours to the trip. Rt. 2 is two lane road that slows down and/or has stops in every little town/village it passes through. Nice drive? yes, but slooow.

Getting to 90 from Portland involves either a bit of "backtracking" or a little out of the way, but it is a very nice route and one I like to drive. Not quite so steep as sections of 70 or 80 as well. Personally I would go the 84 to 80 route and not worry too much about it. I've driven several different Penske trucks cross-country and all of them had adequate power, not abundant power, but adequate. The major problem with 80 is the Chicago/Gary section. Busy with traffic and usually construction this time of year. If you do choose either 70 or 80 when you get into MI don't travel along the bottom of the state on 94, that road will beat you to death in a truck. If coming in on 80, it turns into 80/94 on the South side of Chicago, stick to 94 when it splits again (saving toll charges and a little time on 80) and take 94 into Michigan. At about mile marker 34 or so in Michigan, take 196/US-31 North and follow 196 all the way into Grand Rapids then take 96 toward Lansing. Just outside of Lansing take 69 toward Flint. At Flint take 75 North and then just outside of bay City change over to US10 toward Midland.

Without the truck I would say take 90 across then head over to US-10 so you could take the ferry across the lake to Michigan and then straight down US-10 to Midland, but it would be kind of spendy to take the truck across I believe, and you would have to take the USS Badger because Lake Express doesn't do bigger trucks AFAIK. This looks like it is the last year the Badger will be coal fired (last of it's kind in the World right now) because they are talking about converting it to oil fired during this winters lay-up due to EPA rules. It would make kind of a cool side note to the trip, and you would get to see a 60 mile wide stretch of Lake Michigan while taking a 4 hour rest from driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.