Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 01:17 PM

351 posts, read 1,068,675 times

Advertisements

According to this new study just released the states are: California, Minnesota, New Jersey and North Carolina. The only one that really surprises me is Minnesota.

Study: N.C.'s Traffic Among Most Congested :: WRAL.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 01:30 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,389,410 times
Minnesota and North Carolina? Wow....I never would've guessed! Minnesota being on the Canadian border and being relatively isolated from other states with busy cities surprises me. I'm surprised that Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio didn't make that list. The Lower Midwestern states (which are these four) have traffic passing through them headed for all points of the country practically, all could be classified as the crossroads of America. I'm also surprised Texas isn't on there either. I wonder why North Carolina is so crowded? Also shocked that the Northeast corridor isn't on there and that Pennsylvania isn't there.

Old 06-28-2007, 04:24 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,228,119 times
I would expect places like California and New Jersey to be on the list...

But NORTH CAROLINA? Really?? That really surprises me!

I'm even more surprised by Minnesota... aside from the MSP metro area, I found most of Minnesota to be rural, secluded and relatively free of traffic congestion.

Old 06-28-2007, 04:27 PM

73 posts, read 346,718 times
I'm wondering if they visited Florida, I can't imagine traffic being any worse anywhere than it is in the Tampa Bay area!

Old 06-28-2007, 04:54 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,691,909 times
North Carolina really suprises me as does Minnesota! I mean have they ever been to Florida, Texas, New York? I don't put too much faith into studies like these, it's IMPOSSIBLE to rank an entire state. I'd go by a ranking of the worst metro areas for traffic but not a state.

Old 06-28-2007, 06:04 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,529,716 times
I'm sorry to say but Arizona is the worst in traffic.

Go to Phoenix and try it yourself. You will be late for work every freakin' day there. It's a mad house there.

Old 06-28-2007, 07:46 PM

653 posts, read 3,407,664 times
I find it IMPOSSIBLE to believe that Minnesota is ranked in the top four, regarding congestion. I drive the state all the time. Other than the Twin Cities Metro area, there is NO other congestion in that state of any significance. And for that matter--Even the "cities" are'nt that bad. And if anything, Illinois should be in the top four or five--if for no other reason, than just for the HORRIBLE congestion that exsists in the Chicago Metro area.

Old 06-28-2007, 07:55 PM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
? Also shocked that the Northeast corridor isn't on there and that Pennsylvania isn't there.
Jersey is on there -- and rightly so. It gets the worst of everything traffic-wise being that it is a state completely overtaken by both the New York City and Philadelphia metro areas. I would also have expected either Maryland or Virginia over NC or Minnesota. Anyone who lives and commutes around the DC area for years on end has to be clinically insane.

Old 06-28-2007, 08:04 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Jersey is on there -- and rightly so. It gets the worst of everything traffic-wise being that it is a state completely overtaken by both the New York City and Philadelphia metro areas. I would also have expected either Maryland or Virginia over NC or Minnesota. Anyone who lives and commutes around the DC area for years on end has to be clinically insane.
i agree. i'm very shocked that at least one of the states in the DC area wasn't mentioned. traffic is horrendous there, and makes Jersey traffic seem like a picnic.

off topic a bit, but i was very surprised with how manageable traffic was in Seattle when I was there in April. We never got stuck in anything remotely horrible. Left downtown at 5pm, hopped on I-5 to Everett, expecting the worst, and got there 30 minutes later. Didn't even step on the brake. Maybe it was an anomoly.

Old 06-28-2007, 08:32 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,839,429 times
I don't know about busiest roads, but the worst roads, at least in the midwest, if not the whole country have to be in Michigan. We have construction all year round so I guess you could say our roads are very busy in many areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.