Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 11:35 PM

430 posts, read 1,394,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post
Yeah, pretty bad in Milwaukee. The north side and large parts of the northwest side are dysfunctional and crime ridden. The last 2 police chiefs have been unqualified, affirmative action appointees (one a black male, the current a white female). Both have done a terrible job. They're terrified of being politically incorrect, and cracking down on the people and groups who need it. Then you add the rather noisy "community activists", constantly complaining about police "racism" and other nonsense, further hampering efforts at effctive law enforcement.
Most of the individual cops are OK. The mayor, city council, and the MPD leadership are the main problem.
Uh, people yeah. If by "groups" you mean criminal groups Ok. But if you mean entire races, no that is racism. I am NOT saying crime rates are not higher in some groups then others BTW, -I am well aware of the racial disparities that exist. But the target should be criminals regardless of what racial/ethnic or class they are, -not an entire race ethnicity nor class. I believe there is still plenty of racism today, -including by the police. Also, I believe that racism comes from ALL races -not just whites. -But do to P.C. racial double standards, white racism is now more subtle, coded and indirect than that of other groups on average, -with exceptions of coarse. -Emil.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:37 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,400,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Personally from what I've heard about New Orleans their officers are as corrupt as it gets and have been that way for a long time. They have formed strong partnerships with many of the drug dealers of New Orleans and in 1994 there was a very famous incident where several cops carried out a hit on a civilian woman who was going to file a harrassment complaint against one of the officers. Instead the woman wound up with a bullet in her brain. That's my take. Which cities do you think have the worst police systems?
that is easy no brainer
the cities where civil rights laws have been misused to the protect the guilty and punish the police department (the innocent).
that was easy.
stephen s
san diego ca

Old 01-20-2009, 08:58 PM

26 posts, read 69,993 times
EVERY Municipal Police Department in the State of New Jersey and the State of Ohio. They harass everyone for everything and get away with it!

Best police are Vermont and Montana for freedom loving LAW ABIDING folk, but they really crack down on violent offenders the way it should be!

Last edited by expatvermonter; 01-20-2009 at 08:58 PM.. Reason: spell

Old 01-20-2009, 09:57 PM

880 posts, read 2,861,612 times
Atlanta-incredibly understaffed (the only time I ever saw them in the 18 years I lived in the Atlanta area was at car accidents and the airport) and there was the older woman who was shot a couple years ago during a raid. Peachtree City GA police also, since they have gone through several homes without warrants, ect...

Old 12-20-2009, 04:13 PM

4 posts, read 23,656 times
Let me tell you guys something. I can tell you those Police Dept.s have nothing on Long Island N.Y's police precincts! I have been doing many years of research for the following precincts and can say that many are corrupt. The police here have been found to be: rapists, pedophiles, bullies, sadistic torturers, and all around low life's who think because they wear a badge they have the right to abuse the general public whenever and however they please. If this Kangaroo county would wake up and form a REAL civilian complaint review board, we would be able to hold some of these scum-bags up to the justice that awaits them. However, the blue wall of silence is alive and well and continues to thrive. As a former investigator I have hundreds upon hundreds of files where the law trampled on by our boys in blue. Some of the cases have fallen to the side, while just a handful have gone straight to the F.B.I. for investigation. The cases that fell in the laps of the F.B.I. were met with justice while any case that does not go that route is tossed into the pail, by both the I.A.D and the higher ups, who do nothing but applaud the fact that another one of 'theirs' got away with it. Suffolk county PD. is one of the most corrupt police forces in the nation with the next county, the county of Nassau being neck and neck with them. By the way, I get to hear these horror stories right from the horses mouth ( I know some in law enforcement due to them being family or friends) so ergo, I know where of I speak. I myself was a victim of long islands police depts. several times in one decade due to the work I was doing in corruption. My own lawyer told me if I continued I should either leave Long Island for my own safety or I would be dead. I have had more than one officer tell me I should stop my work 'or else' it could lead to 'trouble.'

Old 12-21-2009, 02:50 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,055,107 times
Chicago. They're becoming well known as a brutal police force these days. I used to think it was the LAPD.

Old 12-22-2009, 07:33 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,118,825 times
I'm not excusing police corruption in the least because it's atrocious but at the same time, police in those cities have to deal with people at their worst day after day along with increasing crime. Combine those elements and that's bound to make any cop go crooked. Being a police officer is a thankless job; they get tired of seeing what they see day after day.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:17 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,004,325 times
The Saint Louis police were running a car theft ring, in cahoots with a city contracted towing operation.

Family members of the Police department were allowed to drive impounded cars, or purchase then at way, way below value. The police chief's daughter wrecked an impounded car and the entire scheme collapsed.

Instead of going to jail, the Police Chief was allowed to retire with a $100k severance package. Scumbag.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:24 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,004,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobE View Post
The Santa Ana, CA PD aren't corrupt or racist, AFAIK, but just generally incompetent. You'd almost swear they based their policing methods on "Car 54,. Where are You?" No wonder gangs spread like wildfire there.

From what I have read, the New Orleans PD is probably the worst overall PD in the U.S., with those in Philly running a close second for just heinous misbehavior.

Congressman Dana Rohrabacher (Rep-Huntington Beach, CA) calls the HBPD "stormtroopers." That PD has always had a reputation for being pretty authoritarian, but not anywhere close to an LAPD or the ones named above. I would be more afraid of the Orange County Sheriff's Department, though:
Orange County Weekly

And the Orange County DA, Tony Rackauckas, makes Mike Nifong look like a piker in sending the innocent to jail plus he is more corrupt:
Orange County Weekly - Watching the Detective
the OC Sherifs department was a joke. Especially under the reigns of America's Sheriff, Corona who gave awayu deputies badges to some real lowlifes. Was until one of those low life's kids video-taped the gang-raped of a drugged up minor that the entire department started falling apart.

Say what you will about the HB police department, but I really appreciated their presence when some of the forth of July celebrations got out of hand (usually by out of town troublemakers). HB is a good sized city with very little crime due to the police force.

Old 12-22-2009, 02:59 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,104,745 times
Im going to go with 2 previous posters and mention the Suffolk County Police Dept. in New York. Not so much for corruption but more for sheer incompetence. The starting salary is like $140,000/year for a new officer (Sgt, Lt, Capt, Inspector, the various Chief ranks, etc is even higher) and all they do is goof off in firehouse parking lots all shift. The concept of patrolling and proactive policing is apparently unknown. They are incapable of handing the most basic of police work. I wouldent even trust them to write parking tickets. In short, they are lazy, ineffective, and overpaid.

Corruption is not so much in like framing people or collaborating with criminals but rather with making under the table deals with politicians and judges. Their have been several attempts to abolish the department and transfer all policing duties to the Suffolk County Sheriff but each time the Police PBA will bribe (or promise votes in the next election) members of the County Legislature to vote against the merger bill. The PBA also bribes state and federal elected officials to not give any grants to the County Sheriff or the various municipal police departments. There have been numerous acts of wrongdoing however, look up Sgt. Frank Wright and Officer Ray Montefusco for 2 examples. Wright would pull over women and force them to let him fondle them and make them walk around naked. Montefusco collaborated with a gang robbery of a King Kullen grocery store where he "responded" to the scene while the robbery was still in progress and gave the all clear so that his buddies that were robbing the store could escape a cordon. It was later found that he dident even respond and simply claimed over the radio that he did ... he was in on the robbery from the beginning. A 3rd example is the botched investigation and railroading of Marty Tankleff. think everyone knows that story so I wont bother retelling it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.