Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 01:42 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,392,752 times

Advertisements

Personally from what I've heard about New Orleans their officers are as corrupt as it gets and have been that way for a long time. They have formed strong partnerships with many of the drug dealers of New Orleans and in 1994 there was a very famous incident where several cops carried out a hit on a civilian woman who was going to file a harrassment complaint against one of the officers. Instead the woman wound up with a bullet in her brain. That's my take. Which cities do you think have the worst police systems?

Old 06-28-2007, 02:22 PM

840 posts, read 6,515,133 times
LAPD, Chicago PD and NYPD have their problems well known. With stuff that you posted about New Orleans PD, they seem to be right up there with the three departments I listed. Even though I hate to say it, I think the SDPD (San Diego) has problems that need to be addressed. They have been criticized for the many police shootings. However, they do a hell of a job keeping the peace and keeping the city as one of the safest cities in America.

Quote:
In the 12 years from 1990 through 2001, San Diego police shot 151 people. They killed 81 – more per capita than officers in 14 of the state's 20 largest police agencies, more than those in Los Angeles, San Francisco and Sacramento, according to a San Diego Union-Tribune analysis.

The department ranks high among large metropolitan forces nationwide as well, according to studies and experts on police shootings.
Quote:
Sanders blames an emphasis on using firearms first for the high number of shootings in the late 1980s and early '90s. That was a time when the Police Department's officer mortality rate rose to among the highest in the nation.

Old 06-28-2007, 03:07 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,348,680 times
Chicago PD has had several high profile cases recently. Cops beating up several men, unprovoked. One beating up a woman in a bar - captured on video for us all to see.
They had a big shake up in their dept. recently because of these.

Old 06-28-2007, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
Chicago PD has had several high profile cases recently. Cops beating up several men, unprovoked. One beating up a woman in a bar - captured on video for us all to see.
They had a big shake up in their dept. recently because of these.
I saw that video of the bar incident. Completely uncalled for. Last I heard, he was to serve some time in prison.

Old 06-28-2007, 07:54 PM

653 posts, read 3,408,309 times
Milwaukee Wi PD is not exactly riding a wave of popularity as of late. The PD there, along with City Hall can't seem to get a "handle" on the wave of crime that has crippled that city in the past few years!!

Old 06-28-2007, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggB View Post
Milwaukee Wi PD is not exactly riding a wave of popularity as of late. The PD there, along with City Hall can't seem to get a "handle" on the wave of crime that has crippled that city in the past few years!!
GreggB, I remember an incident regarding Laurie Bembineck or something with the police force? There was a song written about it called "run Bambi run"...apparently the cops were attending these parties and stripping naked and doing drugs and when she, a female cop, tried to rat them out, they framed her for the murder of her boyfriend's ex-wife, who also happened to be one of her fellow co-workers...when it was actually her boyfriend who murdered her... or something...It happened in the 1980s...if you're familiar with it do tell...from what I know the Milwaukee PD has a long history of being very sexist.

Last edited by ajf131; 06-28-2007 at 11:03 PM..

Old 06-29-2007, 11:25 AM

Quote:
I honestly have never thought of Milwaukee to be crime infested but apparently it is. Kind of sad.

Old 06-29-2007, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
GreggB, I remember an incident regarding Laurie Bembineck or something with the police force? There was a song written about it called "run Bambi run"...apparently the cops were attending these parties and stripping naked and doing drugs and when she, a female cop, tried to rat them out, they framed her for the murder of her boyfriend's ex-wife, who also happened to be one of her fellow co-workers...when it was actually her boyfriend who murdered her... or something...It happened in the 1980s...if you're familiar with it do tell...from what I know the Milwaukee PD has a long history of being very sexist.
Your story is correct. It is now kind of a legend here in wisconsin. I personally never had any contact with the MPD, but I remember back in the 60s and 70s when I lived in Milwaukee, their reputation was anything but stellar. In their defense, they certainly have their hands full with the dramatic increase of violent crime in Milwaukee as of the past couple years.

Old 06-29-2007, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial1904 View Post
I honestly have never thought of Milwaukee to be crime infested but apparently it is. Kind of sad.
It is sad indeed. Milwaukee has such a proud past. It took strong leadership to turn New York City around in regards to crime. That is what Milwaukee lacks and desperately needs-Strong Leadership.

Old 06-29-2007, 09:37 PM

Quote:
It is sad indeed. Milwaukee has such a proud past. It took strong leadership to turn New York City around in regards to crime. That is what Milwaukee lacks and desperately needs-Strong Leadership.
Not only Milwaukee, but every crime-ridden city in the nation. The Midwest alone leads the nation in terms of the most dangerous cities. Detroit, St. Louis, Chicago, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Kansas City, Minneapolis, and Milwaukee are all among the most crime-ridden cities in the nation and desperately need that strong leadership of which you speak. These major Midwestern cities really need to get rid of their reputation as nests of crime. I really hope the Midwest has a better future for crime because I see it get worse here every year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.