Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 07:34 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,140,952 times

Advertisements

I was thinking the other day that if I was a midget I'd probably want to live in a place with a lot of other midgets since maybe the houses and stores would be built for midgets and not tall people. Are there any midget colonies like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 07:56 PM

897 posts, read 1,583,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
I was thinking the other day that if I was a midget I'd probably want to live in a place with a lot of other midgets since maybe the houses and stores would be built for midgets and not tall people. Are there any midget colonies like this?
If you were a midget you wouldn't call yourself a midget since it has become politicaly incorrect to do so. You'd either go for the medical term which is dwarf or for the nice term which is "little person".

I heard of a town that was bought and paid for by the actors from the original Wizard of Oz who portrayed the munchkins but, according to the interwebs, this is an urban myth.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:19 PM

291 posts, read 748,727 times
A section in La Jolla California there is a neighborhood of midget homes owned by a "colony" of midgets from Hollywood (many of them acted in the Wizard of Oz).

Links: Hidden San Diego: The Midget Houses Of La Jolla

Midget Houses of La Jolla | Secrets in San Diego

Old 09-03-2010, 08:32 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,445,585 times
"Midget" originally just referred to those with "proportionate" forms of dwarfism, which is mostly pituitary and primordial dwarfism. As pituitary dwarfism became treatable, and the term had such a connection to freak shows, "midget" fell out of favor.

There are houses especially designed for dwarfs, but most of those are not in any special "dwarf neighborhood." Most of them/*us want to live in the mainstream world and not segregate ourselves off, even if we want differently designed houses.

Still in poorer nations, or earlier times, mainstream acceptance was maybe not so possible so there might have been more desire to segregate off. China has a city of "little people" as a tourist attraction.

Midgetville - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

*Technically I'd be counted as a dwarf as I'm under four-foot tall.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:29 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,758,529 times
http://bestsmileys.com/nono/6.gif (broken link)

Ok, let's try to not insult "little people" or overweight people, or "whoever" here. While some may not like the wording, the idea of the OP is legit - so how about we continue the thread (if it is to continue) by sticking to the topic and answer it as if it were worded this way:

"Are there any communities in the U.S. that were built to specifically occomadate smaller ("little") people in terms of architecture, ammenities, etc"

Old 09-03-2010, 10:40 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,445,585 times
Unlike many I don't find "midget" all that offensive, but you're right some do.

Anyway here's an article on a "Midgetville", as it's called that, in Virginia.

Emotional Investment (washingtonpost.com)

However the existence of tiny houses doesn't necessarily mean a "dwarf town" or "tiny town" was present. People could have made a house tiny as some kind of carpentry or architectural statement. To be honest I find little evidence of any actual dwarf towns other than the intentional "display towns" like the one in Coney Island a century ago and the one in China today.

Dwarf theme park opens in China for tourists | Mail Online

Old 09-04-2010, 09:26 PM

894 posts, read 2,302,335 times
Only in Middle Earth. They wouldn't like the term "midget" either.

Funny side note. Randy Newman aparrently got banned from a radio station in MD for a supposedly offensive song about little people.

Old 06-19-2016, 03:56 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,305,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3midgeteers View Post
Do little people hold midget conventions? If so, when and where? My BFF is a midget, she doesn't mind that term but is offended my troll, dwarf, or munchkin. Anyhow, if there are such conventions I thought I would try to arrange for us to attend.
Yes they do. I watch the show "Little People, Big World" which is about the life of a little couple and their kids. A few seasons ago they showed just the kind of convention you are talking about. You can probably GOOGLE it to find out where.

Old 12-02-2016, 07:06 PM

8,730 posts, read 6,657,018 times
"Little people" is one of those euphamisms that is only understandable if both the writer and reader know the code. Otherwise, it can refer to kids, five-footers, or anybody else that's below average size.

Old 12-03-2016, 09:32 AM

23,298 posts, read 43,744,365 times
Gibsonton, FL. It has long been a haven for retired sideshow performers. The Post Office and other stores have low counters to accommodate little people.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...own-in-america
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.