Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 11:58 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,041,769 times

Advertisements

I've always found the boom of the southwest interesting especially since, and no offense to the southwest, i've visited and found it lovely, I've never had a desire to live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2007, 02:25 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,358,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
I've always found the boom of the southwest interesting especially since, and no offense to the southwest, i've visited and found it lovely, I've never had a desire to live there.
Same here. That's one thing that contributes to my surprise of Phoenix's high-standing in that while it's now our nation's fifth largest city, it seems odd because to me Phoenix is almost like the "Anti-City" in terms of it's planning, look and feel. The same holds true for a lot of the large suburban boomtowns of the Southwest, places like Mesa, Aurora, Plano, Henderson, etc. There's just so few cultural and visual similarities between them and some of our nation's older "traditional" cities with the dense neighborhoods, impressive skylines, and vast history to them, places like St. Louis and Pittsburgh that are now not even amongst the nation's 50 largest cities.

Other surprises: Austin having topped the 700,000 mark, and Las Vegas' growth while still phenomenal, appears to be slowing, at least in the city proper, although it still has doubled in size in only 15 years.

Old 06-29-2007, 02:47 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,328,123 times
These "city" statistics can be a little misleading since they don't speak to the larger metropolitan area. For instance, the No. 8 city San Diego (which is very big geographically speaking) has a population of 1.25 million, but the larger metropolitan area (San Diego county) has under three million. In comparison, Atlanta and Washington DC both have populations in the 500,000 range (which might not even put them in the Top 25), but both have total metro area populations in excess of five or six million. And anyone who has ever been to SD and Atlanta and/or DC would tell you that Atlanta and/or DC are much larger, more congested urban centers than SD. San Diego is the "bigger" city due to the much larger square mileage, but it definitely feels like a smaller and less populous town.

Old 06-29-2007, 09:06 PM

6,615 posts, read 16,497,856 times
Biggest surprise to me is Miami's growth and Hialeah's loss. What's doing on down there, did Miami annex part of Hialeah?

Old 06-29-2007, 10:35 PM

20,501 posts, read 33,325,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Biggest surprise to me is Miami's growth and Hialeah's loss. What's doing on down there, did Miami annex part of Hialeah?
That's what hit me as well. For years, Miami has stayed around the 360-380,000 range. All of a sudden, the city now has over 400k. Very interesting.

Old 06-30-2007, 03:14 AM

153 posts, read 683,695 times
I agree with goozer. Things aren't always as they appear.

Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Chicago, Philly, Detroit, Baltimore, Boston, Kansas City, St. Louis, Cincinnati, Louisville, Indianapolis, etc., etc., aren't sprawling - have had no land growth - 0% in the past 15 years or longer.

Several of the up and coming cities like Raleigh have had a square mile increase over 30% in recent years and Las Vegas from 1990 - 2000 grew 39% in size.

Philly has been 135 sq.mi. for decades while Phoenix is 420 sq.mi. and growing.

Major cities lose people to their suburbs. If you match metro areas to metro areas you'll see Pittsburgh, for instance, around the 20th largest pop. in the country.

Old 06-30-2007, 10:29 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,202,031 times
I'm not sure if that's true about Indianapolis. And while Pittsburgh hasn't done any annexing for years, that still doesn't mean the population isn't dropping. The population there is also dropping in the metro area, which is not the case for many of the rest of the cities mentioned.

Old 06-30-2007, 11:08 AM

26,374 posts, read 46,227,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker View Post
I agree with goozer. Things aren't always as they appear.

Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Chicago, Philly, Detroit, Baltimore, Boston, Kansas City, St. Louis, Cincinnati, Louisville, Indianapolis, etc., etc., aren't sprawling - have had no land growth - 0% in the past 15 years or longer.

Several of the up and coming cities like Raleigh have had a square mile increase over 30% in recent years and Las Vegas from 1990 - 2000 grew 39% in size.

Philly has been 135 sq.mi. for decades while Phoenix is 420 sq.mi. and growing.

Major cities lose people to their suburbs. If you match metro areas to metro areas you'll see Pittsburgh, for instance, around the 20th largest pop. in the country.
Kansas City, MO is now growing again because they continue to annex land north of the city which is known as the "northland." The city is extremely spread out and covers over 300 square miles. Their are many downtown redevelopments going on there now, but their continues to be a huge sprawl problem with population gains continuing in areas that are 1 hour removed from the city.

Old 06-30-2007, 11:24 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,041,769 times
Kansas city is 300 square miles? I guess I didn't realize how sprawling a lot of cities are. Hell, Chicago is only 234 square miles (and some of that is water) and new york only 468 square miles, and almost 1/3 of that is water. I looked up Phoenix out of curiosity, and apparently they are at 515 sq miles.

Old 07-01-2007, 09:57 PM

6,615 posts, read 16,497,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
That's what hit me as well. For years, Miami has stayed around the 360-380,000 range. All of a sudden, the city now has over 400k. Very interesting.
And Hialeah is a suburb! Why did they lose pop?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.