U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 09:34 AM

2,372 posts, read 4,457,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
I love the freeways in Illinois outside of Chicagoland! It's a great system. The expressway system in Chicagoland is decent when the traffic is mostly gone from it.

I have spent many summers in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, driving two lane roads and getting bugs on the windshield. It's just not for me.
The states with the BEST interstate systems are Illinois and Michigan, despite the condition of the roads in many places.

California, Montana, Texas, etc probably have the most miles of interstates, right?
Illinois has the most miles...

What makes Michigan roads special is the fact that the drivers know how to drive fast and keep out of faster traffic's way.

The drivers of the Great Lakes State are very aware! Illinois is nice too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 09:41 AM

11,194 posts, read 22,419,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggB View Post
OH>>>>I'll second that about the construction backups in Metro Chicago. Of all, and I mean ALL of the places that I have to drive To, Through, or Around----I despise Metro Chicago the most. Worse than NYC and Metro DC.
It has been a MESS around here the past 6-7 years at least. They totally rebuilt and widened out to 8-10 lanes over 100 miles of the tollway system. It finally wrapped up this year, as well as the reconstruction of the Kennedy in the late 90's, the Stevenson in the early 2000's, southern Lakeshore Drive, Wacker Drive and the Dan Ryan a few years ago.

I-80 around the southern edge of Chicago was also WAYYY too small between around I-57 through to I-65 in Indiana. I was very surprised and happy when I drove this a year or two ago and saw it was completely reconstructed into a 10-12 lane wide nice new interstate.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:25 PM

13,227 posts, read 17,998,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
It has been a MESS around here the past 6-7 years at least. They totally rebuilt and widened out to 8-10 lanes over 100 miles of the tollway system. It finally wrapped up this year, as well as the reconstruction of the Kennedy in the late 90's, the Stevenson in the early 2000's, southern Lakeshore Drive, Wacker Drive and the Dan Ryan a few years ago.

I-80 around the southern edge of Chicago was also WAYYY too small between around I-57 through to I-65 in Indiana. I was very surprised and happy when I drove this a year or two ago and saw it was completely reconstructed into a 10-12 lane wide nice new interstate.
At least you don't have tunnels precluding any highway expansion in Chicago.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:20 PM

517 posts, read 1,157,798 times
A little off topic but I have a quick question.....why do most states back east have tolls for regular roads that don't cross over water? That boggles my mind. Out here in California 99% of all our roads are free...in Norcal the only tolls we have are for bridges.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:37 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,362,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcee510 View Post
A little off topic but I have a quick question.....why do most states back east have tolls for regular roads that don't cross over water? That boggles my mind. Out here in California 99% of all our roads are free...in Norcal the only tolls we have are for bridges.
Just a different way of collecting taxes and who the tax burden is placed upon. Most times there are a Toll road, it's because a large amount of users (drivers) come from a different state or area, where their tax dollars wouldn't offset their usage of the road.

example- Chicagoland and it's interstates are used by many not Illinois residents- people from Wisconsin, Iowa, Indiana, Ohio, Michigan, and Missouri.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:14 PM

517 posts, read 1,157,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cann View Post
Just a different way of collecting taxes and who the tax burden is placed upon. Most times there are a Toll road, it's because a large amount of users (drivers) come from a different state or area, where their tax dollars wouldn't offset their usage of the road.

example- Chicagoland and it's interstates are used by many not Illinois residents- people from Wisconsin, Iowa, Indiana, Ohio, Michigan, and Missouri.
I see...thanks =). California is so big that we really don't have people crossing over to come into the state everyday for work like the East Coast. Plus most California residents live along the coast, not state borders of Oregon, Nevada, Arizona. Actually the closer you get to these state borders the more deserted California becomes.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:25 PM

6,531 posts, read 7,487,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
Illinois has the most miles...

What makes Michigan roads special is the fact that the drivers know how to drive fast and keep out of faster traffic's way.

The drivers of the Great Lakes State are very aware! Illinois is nice too
Michigan drivers are slow compared to those in the south, and in the east. They are also less aggressive, and more cautious. Having seen your posts before I know you just moved up here, but you will soon learn that we dont think the Illinois drivers are "nice" They are very aggressive and seem to forget that they are on vacation and up here to relax. They drive like they are on Lakeshore drive in downtown Chicago. Ontario drivers can really climb on a nerve as well, as they share many driving attributes with our friends from the land of Lincoln. Wisconsin and Indiana drivers are ok, they seem to drive like we do. The biggest complaint youll here about driving in Michigan is not the out of state drivers however, but the condition of our roads. That is a whole other topic however.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:52 PM

7,150 posts, read 9,934,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcee510 View Post
Not sure about every state and road, but some of the Eastern states built their early major roads without the help of the Federal government.

Examples:

New York State Parkways (New York)
Merritt Parkway (Connecticut)
Pennsylvania Turnpike (Pennsylvania)
New York State Thruway (New York)
New Jersey Turnpike (New Jersey)
Garden State Parkway (New Jersey)

A later example would be the Kentucky Parkway system.

Old 07-24-2010, 05:46 PM

400 posts, read 870,357 times
Nebraska has to be one of the states with the fewest lane miles of interstate per land area. It is a very large state (77,000 square miles), but has only one major interstate (I-80). It does not have any north-south interstate. There is a two mile section of I-76 in western Nebraska, and a two mile spur from I-29 in South Sioux City. There are some spurs off of I-80 in Omaha and Lincoln. Otherwise, it is all I-80.

Even North Dakota and South Dakota have a major east-west and a major north-south interstate (I-90, I-94, and I-29). Nebraska only has an east-west interstate.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:39 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,288,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Michigan drivers are slow compared to those in the south, and in the east. They are also less aggressive, and more cautious. Having seen your posts before I know you just moved up here, but you will soon learn that we dont think the Illinois drivers are "nice" They are very aggressive and seem to forget that they are on vacation and up here to relax. They drive like they are on Lakeshore drive in downtown Chicago. Ontario drivers can really climb on a nerve as well, as they share many driving attributes with our friends from the land of Lincoln. Wisconsin and Indiana drivers are ok, they seem to drive like we do. The biggest complaint youll here about driving in Michigan is not the out of state drivers however, but the condition of our roads. That is a whole other topic however.
I will note that there is something of a difference between Detroit-area drivers and those in other parts of Michigan, e.g. Grand Rapids.
Still, I think that drivers in rural Michigan (such as the Upper Peninsula) are faster than those in Ohio and Wisconsin.

I'm on the east coast for a week-long summer vacation trip that also includes a job interview in New Jersey. The drivers here are pretty nuts!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.