Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 01:22 PM

4,023 posts, read 7,372,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccarley View Post
So, its sad for Southern States, but you understand why Obama smokes and according to the link Mississippi smokes less than Utah.
Sorry, I meant "I don't understand why" little mistake
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 01:28 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,066,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I wonder what states have the most pot smokers?
I'd be surprised if the answer to this question WASN'T the West Coast states: California, Oregon and Washington..

Old 09-07-2010, 03:54 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,110,006 times
Anecdotally, I have seen a ton more smokers here in Portland, Oregon than where I grew up (DFW metroplex). I was actually shocked since Portland has something of a health-conscious reputation. On the other hand, it makes sense to me that a cooler, gloomier climate would be more favorable for putting a hot cigarette in your mouth. I couldn't imagine smoking on a hot summer day in the south.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:10 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,296,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Just what we needed...another southern-bashing thread.
Just what we need...another defensive response from a Southerner instead of one acknowledging there is a problem

Old 09-07-2010, 11:31 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,296,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Shaft View Post
Anecdotally, I have seen a ton more smokers here in Portland, Oregon than where I grew up (DFW metroplex). I was actually shocked since Portland has something of a health-conscious reputation. On the other hand, it makes sense to me that a cooler, gloomier climate would be more favorable for putting a hot cigarette in your mouth. I couldn't imagine smoking on a hot summer day in the south.
That's not surprising. Dallas has a large Evangelical population, many of which frown upon alcohol let alone drugs so it wouldn't surprise me if the more liberal crowd in Portland does more pot.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:06 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,364,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
That's not surprising. Dallas has a large Evangelical population, many of which frown upon alcohol let alone drugs so it wouldn't surprise me if the more liberal crowd in Portland does more pot.
How absolutely ridiculous. Any proof of this supposed large evangelical population vs other comparable metros?

And are you actually suggesting that a metro more than three times the size of Portland has less pot smokers?

Old 09-08-2010, 02:00 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,066,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Shaft View Post
On the other hand, it makes sense to me that a cooler, gloomier climate would be more favorable for putting a hot cigarette in your mouth. I couldn't imagine smoking on a hot summer day in the south.
I don't know what the two have to do with each other..? Why would hot weather decrease (or increase) the enjoyment of a cigarette?

I smoked cigarettes for about four or five years.. I used to stand outside during freezing Chicago winters with a cigarette hanging outta my mouth. I'd run back inside after I was finished.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:52 AM

749 posts, read 2,438,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
I don't know what the two have to do with each other..? Why would hot weather decrease (or increase) the enjoyment of a cigarette?

I smoked cigarettes for about four or five years.. I used to stand outside during freezing Chicago winters with a cigarette hanging outta my mouth. I'd run back inside after I was finished.
I hear ya. I'm a smoker that used to live in Michigan and would go outside take 4 or 5 puffs and go back inside, never finished a full one in winter. Smoking in cold weather gives me the hiccups.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:53 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,110,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post

Understand that I'm coming at this from a non-smoker perspective, but I'd think a cigarette would be more appealing on a cool/cold day, just like coffee or soup. If it's 100 degrees and 90 percent humidity, wouldn't that make you less interested in putting fire that close to your body?

Old 09-08-2010, 01:59 PM

542 posts, read 1,478,922 times
That's easy; because it's (much) cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.