U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 10:13 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,575,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by i35vagabond View Post
I doubt if Louisville will ever grow as fast or as large as Austin. Totally different league. Austin is closing
in on 900,000 population.

Louisvile will continue to compete with it's neighbors Indianapolis, and Cincinnati. Austin is the destination. Louisville, Indy and Cincy are just passing thru.
Be careful with your predictions. Who would have said that about Austin a few decades ago? Austin has been riding the Sunbelt trend, but that ship could easily run out of steam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 01:27 PM

6,559 posts, read 13,752,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
Be careful with your predictions. Who would have said that about Austin a few decades ago? Austin has been riding the Sunbelt trend, but that ship could easily run out of steam.
different league? Not quite my friend. Louisville has a consolidated government like Austin, and Louisville has a population of 750,000. Not far off. The only difference between the two is Austin has a larger university in a much more progressive (yes TX is compared to KY) state, and it has 10 times the name as Louisville. Louisville was historically the 2nd largest city in the SE, so it has a great built environment that Austin will never have. But Louisville is just as cool and hip. In a way, Louisville is Austin in 1998, which IMO was when Austin was cool. So many yuppie douche bags have moved there it is now annoying.

Old 03-16-2013, 05:27 PM

5,412 posts, read 7,706,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I dunno but I hope not.
^^^
This.

Old 03-16-2013, 06:52 PM

13,219 posts, read 17,954,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
From a climatic and geographic standpoint, this area of the US is wonderful. No earthquakes, hurricanes, volcanoes, and not as many wildfires or tornadoes as other areas. Also, the landscape in this area is beautiful. It's green (unlike Colorado), yet temperate. Why so many people choose to move to Arizona, California, and Florida, I don't know. Arizona is ugly and has a rather unpleasant climate, California = yuck in general, and Florida has too many hurricanes and alligators.
Actually, the Mid-South is very prone to tornadoes. There's at least a moderate risk of tornadoes for about eight months of the year, with the only down time being June through September. Ask people in any of the following cities and towns if I'm lying:

- Arkadelphia, AR (January 1999)
- Caruthersville, MO (April 2006)
- Crossville, TN (November 2002)
- Evansville, IN (November 2005)
- Franklin, TN (December 1988)
- Joplin, MO (May 2011)
- Memphis, TN (February 2008)
- Moore, OK (May 1999)
- Mount Juliet, TN (January 2013)
- Murphysboro, IL (March 1925 and December 1957)
- Nashville, TN (April 1998)
- New Pekin, IN (March 2012)
- West Liberty, KY (March 2012)
- West Memphis, AR (December 1987)
- Xenia, OH (April 1974)

Old 03-16-2013, 08:03 PM

3,970 posts, read 11,828,812 times
IMO, the region the OP spoke of will continue to grow, but only modestly. There are not many new industries/jobs in this area, and as the baby boomers retire, many will move out. Of course, there could be exceptions, if a new company comes in and provides new jobs, but this is not certain.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:26 PM

6,418 posts, read 10,861,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
different league? Not quite my friend. Louisville has a consolidated government like Austin, and Louisville has a population of 750,000. Not far off. The only difference between the two is Austin has a larger university in a much more progressive (yes TX is compared to KY) state, and it has 10 times the name as Louisville. Louisville was historically the 2nd largest city in the SE, so it has a great built environment that Austin will never have. But Louisville is just as cool and hip. In a way, Louisville is Austin in 1998, which IMO was when Austin was cool. So many yuppie douche bags have moved there it is now annoying.
The growth of Austin is in a different league, for better or for worse. And Austin does not have a consolidated government.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:28 PM

6,418 posts, read 10,861,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Actually, the Mid-South is very prone to tornadoes. There's at least a moderate risk of tornadoes for about eight months of the year, with the only down time being June through September. Ask people in any of the following cities and towns if I'm lying:

- Joplin, MO (May 2011)
- Moore, OK (May 1999)
- Xenia, OH (April 1974)

Liar.

Old 03-17-2013, 12:01 PM

802 posts, read 1,739,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
I don't know if Louisville is just as "cool and hip," but it is fortunate enough to have been a large city much longer than cities like Austin, Charlotte, and Nashville. Louisville has a fantastic historic built environment. Actually, I was thinking just not too long ago that Louisville has a boatload of potential if it can ever figure itself out and spread some of the energy from Bardstown Road to other parts of town especially downtown. I'm just trying to imagine what Louisville would be like if had the energy and solid drivers of the aforementioned cities. I imagine it would be very impressive.

I have not had the opportunity to explore the areas around UL much on my stops. Are there some active, nearly 24-hour neighborhoods developing around UL? I'm also curious about what efforts Louisville is making to revitalize downtown. I think downtown needs 2-3 significant attractions clustered around YUM that differ from what Cincy, Indy or Nashville will offer.

Old 03-17-2013, 12:04 PM

1,704 posts, read 2,762,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post

- Joplin, MO (May 2011)
- Moore, OK (May 1999)
- Xenia, OH (April 1974)

Most people have never even seen a tornado. Even in areas where tornadoes are more common, they're still really rare and only affect extremely isolated areas (unlike earthquakes, wildfires, hurricanes, etc).

Old 03-17-2013, 02:29 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,227,706 times
The Upper South and Lower Midwest are not even close to being the same region, so why one would mention them together in a topic is pretty strange. With the exceptions of Indy and Columbus, the rest of the Midwest is not experiencing the "New South" boom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or