Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2010, 06:37 PM

492 posts, read 1,027,619 times

Advertisements

YouTube - CityData accent thread

Hope I did this right. I just read some of the words off one of the lists. I tried to talk as I normally would, as if I was around friends and family, and not necessarily on the job or giving a speech.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 08:10 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,973,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
Here's my contribution. If any of you know where I'm from, don't ruin it.

YouTube - Westerner92 Accent
This is nearly identical to my accent except I pronounce caramel Kehramel and New Orleans New Orlee-anns (not separated when I say it of course, it's just hard to spell my pronunciation of it since there are so many ways to say New Orleans)

Old 09-12-2010, 08:13 PM

1,700 posts, read 5,932,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA7cities View Post

YouTube - CityData accent thread

Hope I did this right. I just read some of the words off one of the lists. I tried to talk as I normally would, as if I was around friends and family, and not necessarily on the job or giving a speech.
Yeah you definitely sound like you're from Norfolk (or Hampton Roads in general), in my opinion. I'm from there as well, and you sound exactly like a number of people I know from the area.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:46 AM
eek eek started this thread

3,574 posts, read 7,734,977 times
my take...

eek: thats me! lol. i still don't think i have a thick accent. i've traveled a lot.

flyingwriter: MN (you told us). you sound canadian or like you're from an area that borders canada. you have one of the coolest accents in the thread, IMHO.

sunnyave: NY (you told us, too). like i said earlier, you don't have to worry about losing your accent. it takes years...yes, you picked up "sher" and "fer" but a lot of americans pronounce sure and for like that. you're good.

mgyeldell
: NC (charlotte, in particular because of the photo used for the vid). your accent is consistent with what i would usually hear in NC from a larger city in NC.

iowacountryboy: you have one of the thickest southern accents in the thread, IMO.

scottsummers: you sound like my best friend from atl. i like your accent.

awesome danny
: general american IMO. you sound like a cool person. the vid was funny.

lifeshadower: general american.

fillmont: general american. good idea on reading the paragraph. you sound like you could get a job reading anything for a living, lol. they should record you for our train announcements here.

bperone: north jersey.

accntrd: mass? car and idears stood out.

westerner92: general american.

supermario: NY.

kidphilly: general american except for wooder.

colts: general american.

neotexist
: general american.

xgrendelx
: southern? sounds like a mix. you draw some words out.

mystery-accent: general american.

not made for the south: you still have a southern accent...a lot of your words are drawn out.

VA7cities: southern. you definitely remind me of famlay (rapper)

Old 09-13-2010, 11:07 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
I haven't had a chance to listen to everyone, but I should say that EEK ( NYC) and FLYINGWRITER ( Minn/Wisc) have strong regional accents, and COLT had the most generic American accent; KID PHILLY was about 95% General American, and WESTERNER 92 also sounded General American, with the influence of youth..

I should point out that the New England accent decreases as you travel further away from the ocean; it's almost nonexistent in Springfield, MA, Burlington, VT, etc..., although you will hear it in rural areas of northern New England...

Old 09-13-2010, 11:57 AM

2,257 posts, read 8,172,843 times
Well, western New England (west of the Connecticut River) has a completely different dialect altogether from eastern New England. Western NE has always been "R-ful" (not dropping R's), whereas eastern NE has only moved away from R-dropping in the past few generations. Generally areas with well-educated, upper middle class people, or areas with a wide variety of transplants, are the least likely to have a distinct local accent.

Speaking of R-dropping, I reread the "Rainbow Passage" with my natural accent but simply made a conscious effort to be non-rhotic. I am curious if this one change will make me sound much more "New England" than my previous recording seemed to.

YouTube - Verseau Accent

Old 09-13-2010, 12:19 PM

871 posts, read 2,248,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
not made for the south: you still have a southern accent...a lot of your words are drawn out.
he didnt sound very southern to me. he sure doesnt sound like hes from new york, but black people in california and chicago, detroit, etc generally talk like he does.
when i think southern, i think more like this type of sound:

YouTube - Rajon Rondo's house tour

how would you categorize mine, by the way?

Old 09-13-2010, 01:03 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,415,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verseau View Post
Well, western New England (west of the Connecticut River) has a completely different dialect altogether from eastern New England. Western NE has always been "R-ful" (not dropping R's), whereas eastern NE has only moved away from R-dropping in the past few generations. Generally areas with well-educated, upper middle class people, or areas with a wide variety of transplants, are the least likely to have a distinct local accent.

Speaking of R-dropping, I reread the "Rainbow Passage" with my natural accent but simply made a conscious effort to be non-rhotic. I am curious if this one change will make me sound much more "New England" than my previous recording seemed to.

YouTube - Verseau Accent
Boston.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:08 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,415,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I haven't had a chance to listen to everyone, but I should say that EEK ( NYC) and FLYINGWRITER ( Minn/Wisc) have strong regional accents, and COLT had the most generic American accent; KID PHILLY was about 95% General American, and WESTERNER 92 also sounded General American, with the influence of youth..

I should point out that the New England accent decreases as you travel further away from the ocean; it's almost nonexistent in Springfield, MA, Burlington, VT, etc..., although you will hear it in rural areas of northern New England...
I still don't think I have that much of an accent. A slight Upper Midwestern accent, but nowhere nearly as strong as some people around here.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:23 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
I still don't think I have that much of an accent. A slight Upper Midwestern accent, but nowhere nearly as strong as some people around here.
Yes , while visiting Fargo, I talked with some locals whose accents were much stronger than yours; in your case, your accent revealed itself as you spoke more and more; it wasn't readily evident right away, but in came through quite a bit more with every passing sentence..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.