U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2010, 05:48 AM

10 posts, read 10,639 times

Advertisements

Does it have to be a USA accent, I live internationally?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 06:56 AM

3,700 posts, read 4,068,749 times
Here is my accent:

YouTube - Accent

Old 09-15-2010, 09:07 AM

871 posts, read 1,874,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
i'm not confusing anything. and i'm sorry, but evidently everybody must think this is some kind of "let's teach algreen" sort of thing. i'm just as entitled to my opinion as anyone else. and i know what i'm talking about just like y'all know what you're talking about. virginia is an "old south" state, but not a part of the current south

and you have people in the deep south with non-rhotic accents, so i'm not sure where you're going with that.
heres the thing, virginia, along the coast and in its northern part is heavily transplanted, so it that sense you could be right. but the inland part of the state still is southern culturally. this virginian still sounds southern to me
Quote:
THIS IS THE SOUTH
sorry al, but the map just plain sucks. thats not true at all. that map includes AND excludes areas that it shouldnt. far west texas is not "the south" and neither is south florida. plus, youve completely cut out inland virginia and kentucky, which are certainly southern. you are just way off.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:37 AM

5,098 posts, read 7,224,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohnWilson View Post
heres the thing, virginia, along the coast and in its northern part is heavily transplanted, so it that sense you could be right. but the inland part of the state still is southern culturally. this virginian still sounds southern to me
well actually his accent just sounds virginian to me. he sounds "southern" the same way some people from kentucky, west virginia, pennsylvania, and ohio do, imo.

Quote:
sorry al, but the map just plain sucks. thats not true at all. that map includes AND excludes areas that it shouldnt. far west texas is not "the south" and neither is south florida. plus, youve completely cut out inland virginia and kentucky, which are certainly southern. you are just way off.
this is not my map, people. i don't know what makes y'all think i have the computer skills to make something like that lol

and if kentucky and virginia are the south (which i don't agree with), then south florida and much of western texas are even more so. you will NOT convince me otherwise, so don't try.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:46 AM

5,098 posts, read 7,224,876 times
i didn't want to say this, but as far as i'm concerned, there are only 5 states that are undeniably the south: louisiana, mississippi, alabama, georgia, and south carolina (to include the adjoining areas of east texas, southeast oklahoma, the southern and delta portions of arkansas and tennessee, north florida, and southern north carolina). everything else is left up to one's own interpretation, and people will disagree about this stuff forever

so let's not sit here and act like i'm the only person in the world who doesn't see kentucky and virginia as being very southern

Old 09-15-2010, 10:07 AM

5,530 posts, read 9,618,693 times
can't you just define the South in one of two ways:

1. if there is a drawl in your speech
2. if you were on the Confederate side of the Civil War and/or believe in slavery

Old 09-15-2010, 10:39 AM

15,989 posts, read 29,345,307 times
Quote:
i didn't want to say this, but as far as i'm concerned, there are only 5 states that are undeniably the south: louisiana, mississippi, alabama, georgia, and south carolina (to include the adjoining areas of east texas, southeast oklahoma, the southern and delta portions of arkansas and tennessee, north florida, and southern north carolina). everything else is left up to one's own interpretation, and people will disagree about this stuff forever

so let's not sit here and act like i'm the only person in the world who doesn't see kentucky and virginia as being very southern
I think Virginia is southern (but it's also a transitional area imo). The people there have strong ties with the Northeast. Kentucky is debatable. I'd say a great proportion of Texas is located in the south, but I wouldn't say the whole state is southern. Texas is debatable. I'd throw in North Carolina for the south and Florida. Florida is debatable, but it's entirely located in the south and much of its history is very much similar to that of the southeast.

I'mma try to get my accent posted today because I've been told by people in the DMV area that I either sound like I'm from DC or VA. In Texas; I've heard Dallas a few times, but others say out of state.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:41 AM

3,368 posts, read 10,155,409 times
Quote:
This is the first time I have ever heard anyone say that Virginia and Kentucky aren't Southern, in general. I certainly have heard people argue for hours about how Northern Virginia isn't the South, but to hear someone state that the entire state is not Southern is for me a first.

I am from the South and have lived up North for over 7 years now. It seems to me that you're not comfortable recognizing the Upper South (North Carolina, Virginia, Kentucky) as part of the South; it seems you're saying that only the Deep South is undeniably Southern.

The South is still alive in well in Florida (even South Florida, where I am from) and Northern Virginia/Washington, DC. A friend of mine (from a Central Florida family that goes back several generations in the area) recently relocated from NYC to DC because she wanted to be in a big city and preferred to live in the South. And people try to argue that Atlanta or Raleigh aren't Southern? It just blows my mind.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:19 PM

871 posts, read 1,874,954 times
Quote:
well actually his accent just sounds virginian to me. he sounds "southern" the same way some people from kentucky, west virginia, pennsylvania, and ohio do, imo..
it definitely sounds uniquely virginia. but its sounds NOTHING AT ALL like pennsylvania and ohio, because he pronounces his vowels southern-like. the unique parts (that make this different from other southern accents) are not found in any other states, especially not in northern ones.

Quote:
and if kentucky and virginia are the south (which i don't agree with), then south florida and much of western texas are even more so. you will NOT convince me otherwise, so don't try.
no, not at all. southwest texas is so hispanic dominated that it has much more in common with mexico than the south. south florida's culture is dominated by that of the islands and the northeastern US.

tennessee, kentucky, northern alabama, and arkansas have this "upper south" culture that, while different from the deep south, shares very much in common.
if you cant hear the similarities between these two then im sorry, but you dont have very good ears.

people in pennsylvania, michigan, whatever just dont talk like that. at all. i dont know what world youre living in where you cant tell that.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:29 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,004,152 times
If Kentucky and Virginia aren't the South, then what are they? I sure hope you aren't trying to lump them in with the Midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or