U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-18-2010, 08:26 AM

3,385 posts, read 2,611,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verseau View Post
Actually, it seems pretty clear to me that Frank is Canadian. I can hear some of the Italian influence, however; specifically the NYC area Italian-American features. Were your parents from this area or did you spend some time living there?

At any rate, I'm pretty sure you spent most of your formative years in Canada...
Bingo. Spent my first 16 years of existence in Winnipeg.

As for the Italian influence; I figured there would be more of a Jewish or Irish influence. My Grandma (who I spent a lot of time around when I was little) spent the first 22 years of her life in an neighborhood in Winnipeg that was mostly made up of Jewish immigrants and second-generation Irish-Canadians from the 20s to the 50s. Her speech pattern and pronunciation tended to have a lot of Yiddish influences. That might also explain some of the New England/Boston influences that some posters seem to hear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 08:43 AM

5 posts, read 3,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerTech12 View Post
Hello:

I am just wondering what kind of accent do I have?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDOA9wHU8ZQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
I can't tell yours. Maybe northeastern?
Anybody else wanna give it a shot?

Old 09-18-2010, 09:26 AM

229 posts, read 412,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Toronto?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QweffL View Post
Here you go

In the beginning you sound Eastern European, Russian maybe? However when you were reading the sound, you reminded me of my professor who was Belgian.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:55 AM

2,266 posts, read 4,357,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
Bingo. Spent my first 16 years of existence in Winnipeg.

As for the Italian influence; I figured there would be more of a Jewish or Irish influence. My Grandma (who I spent a lot of time around when I was little) spent the first 22 years of her life in an neighborhood in Winnipeg that was mostly made up of Jewish immigrants and second-generation Irish-Canadians from the 20s to the 50s. Her speech pattern and pronunciation tended to have a lot of Yiddish influences. That might also explain some of the New England/Boston influences that some posters seem to hear.
That's it - it was the Jewish influence I was hearing. I just usually tend to associate it with NYC speakers.

Old 09-18-2010, 12:06 PM

5,992 posts, read 7,128,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerTech12 View Post
Anybody else wanna give it a shot?
Northeast.

Old 09-18-2010, 12:45 PM

2,758 posts, read 3,409,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
You sound sort of like you could have lived in New England somewhere and the way that you said "rather" & "figure that out" doesn't make me think of Texas.

ComputerTech12-I really can't place you man but to me, you sound sort of East Asian.
QweffL-That's the first time I've ever heard pecan pronounced the way you said it, neat. I guess you could possibly be from the upper Midwest but you sound sort of foreign too. I don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohnWilson View Post
it seems to me that a lot of black people in the urban south talk similarly to blacks in chicago, st louis, etc. and dont really have much drawls. i know that mygdell and scott summers sounded to me like they were from the urban midwest/west, despite being southerners. so i think it can kind of vary person to person when you are in the southern cities. the first woman in that clip doesnt sound southern at all (at 1:29), but is from durham, nc
I never thought that I sounded like I could be from up there. I have heard other people question if I were from the lower Midwest but other than a few words, I really don't hear it. I always thought that I spoke in a mix of old Georgian and Central FL but I pronounce my R's. I've heard some old Georgians who had the same accent as Hank Aaron:

Hank Aaron interview

Old 09-18-2010, 01:51 PM

871 posts, read 1,320,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
I never thought that I sounded like I could be from up there. I have heard other people question if I were from the lower Midwest but other than a few words, I really don't hear it. I always thought that I spoke in a mix of old Georgian and Central FL but I pronounce my R's. I've heard some old Georgians who had the same accent as Hank Aaron:
well it could be the fact that accents in heavily urban areas across the country sound very similar. but you just dont have that "country" style georgia accent, you have an accent that ive heard from black people in california and the midwest. basically, there is and aspect of general american english mixed into your dialect.

basically you sound like
this: instead of this:

Last edited by JimmyJohnWilson; 09-18-2010 at 03:02 PM..

Old 09-19-2010, 11:39 AM

3 posts, read 1,983 times
Can you guess where this girl is from?

YouTube - What Accent is this??

Old 09-19-2010, 11:57 AM

2,777 posts, read 2,962,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Here's mine.

YouTube - Accents?
Is this supposed to be a joke? You're obviously trying to sound as "Minnesotan" as possible. It sounds like a cartoon character. No one really talks like that.

Didn't you move to Minnesota within the last year or two? There's no way you could go from a Michigan accent to THAT is a couple of years. So I'm going to assume it was a joke. And a pretty funny one. Nice work.

Old 09-19-2010, 12:17 PM

5,992 posts, read 7,128,249 times
This is my response to Michigan83. No, it's not a joke. I tend to pick up accents easily, and I live in rural Minnesota. Also, I was talking into the camera -- not in my natural "flow," so that may have increased my accent.

Last edited by northstar22; 09-19-2010 at 12:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.