U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-20-2010, 08:38 AM

197 posts, read 156,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatashaH View Post
In the beginning you sound Eastern European, Russian maybe?
I think you're the second person ever who got it this accurate. Yes, it's Eastern European, only Ukrainian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 09:07 AM

3,540 posts, read 4,569,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Smtchll, your accent is not as thick as I would have imagined. The Southern drawl is still there.
yeah I think it's because I grew up in a military town. A lot of the people I grew up with weren't from the South. People around here tell me that I don't have an accent at all.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:11 AM

973 posts, read 984,598 times
i am from philadelphia, but since i live in st. louis i will post that city's dialect. harry caray, though usually associated with chicago, was born, raised and lived most of his life in the city of st. louis:

YouTube - Harry Caray on stealing wives

Old 09-20-2010, 09:26 AM

871 posts, read 1,281,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
and another vid i did for another thread:
YouTube - Y'all
this was hilarious to me for some reason. the way you said "yall" at 2:33 supposedly like a midwestern made me laugh. and you pronounce "yall" like id say you'll. as in "you'll see it up on the right".
Quote:
Originally Posted by RmafAlex View Post
I posted myself reading the "Comma Gets a Cure" passage that Verseau provided. See what you think about my accent. :
YouTube - Accent 001
i could be wrong on this, but im going to guess southern appalachian. perhaps eastern tennessee or kentucky. definitely a southern accent though im not quite sure where from.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Well here's mine. I decided to record myself reading Comma Gets A Cure because rambling is awkward for me. I think this is how I generally sound. My accent is a little stronger when I'm talking with my family & close friends, and it's a little more water-down when I'm in a professional setting. This is probably right in the middle
you sounded southern initially to me. but your accent is very light to the point where the more i listen the less i can notice. but if i pay attention i can tell you are southern for sure. but pretty much just sounds normal to me. a lot of the young people i heard talking in memphis sound like you. i guarantee that to new york or minnesota ears you will be heard as southern because they picked it out of me when i thought it to be near impossible to notice

heres one more of me. ill try to talk with this one in my more "professional" voice, as when i get around some of my very "drawly" family members, i often fall into their ways as well, i find. honestly, this is as "general american" as im gonna sound unless return to an area where general american dialect predominates.

YouTube - Movie 8.mp4

Last edited by JimmyJohnWilson; 09-20-2010 at 09:37 AM..

Old 09-20-2010, 09:50 AM

3,540 posts, read 4,569,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohnWilson View Post
this was hilarious to me for some reason. the way you said "yall" at 2:33 supposedly like a midwestern made me laugh. and you pronounce "yall" like id say you'll. as in "you'll see it up on the right".

i could be wrong on this, but im going to guess southern appalachian. perhaps eastern tennessee or kentucky. definitely a southern accent though im not quite sure where from.

you sounded southern initially to me. but your accent is very light to the point where the more i listen the less i can notice. but if i pay attention i can tell you are southern for sure. but pretty much just sounds normal to me. a lot of the young people i heard talking in memphis sound like you. i guarantee that to new york or minnesota ears you will be heard as southern because they picked it out of me when i thought it to be near impossible to notice

heres one more of me. ill try to talk with this one in my more "professional" voice, as when i get around some of my very "drawly" family members, i often fall into their ways as well, i find. honestly, this is as "general american" as im gonna sound unless return to an area where general american dialect predominates.

YouTube - Movie 8.mp4
Yeah I think a lot of people in Memphis have a similar accent as mine, that's why people around here think I just sound normal.

Your accent is just slower and more watered down in this clip, but still noticeable.

I actually tried to do a General American accent clip, but it sounded very similar to my first one so I thought it was pointless to post it. But I'll post it now anyway.

Here's my accent when I'm in a professional setting, giving a speech, or reading in class

YouTube - GenAm accent

Old 09-20-2010, 10:08 AM

871 posts, read 1,281,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Yeah I think a lot of people in Memphis have a similar accent as mine, that's why people around here think I just sound normal.

Your accent is just slower and more watered down in this clip, but still noticeable.

I actually tried to do a General American accent clip, but it sounded very similar to my first one so I thought it was pointless to post it. But I'll post it now anyway.

Here's my accent when I'm in a professional setting, giving a speech, or reading in class

YouTube - GenAm accent
yea, you sounded pretty much the same. i wouldnt mind hearing your attempt at a more "country style" accent, the one you think comes out around your family (if its possible to replicate).

honestly, i listened to the clip i recored and ralized i sound exactly the same pretty much. i guess im not as good at changing how i speak as i thought. but anyway, i might as well reveal where im from.

im actually not even from the south. im a west coaster relocated to central kentucky. honestly, i dont know how the hell this happened to me. i guess it has to do with the fact that i spend nearly all my time with people who have very thick accents, as nobody here thinks i have an accent at all (ive asked). thats why i thought people wouldnt even be able to tell my accent from general american. i guess ive had my speech affected. i assumed people would guess "general american" or even "not from the south but living there" but nobody did.

also, nobody could guess the state i live in. i got georgia, tennessee, and north carolina as guesses. one user said "near the appalachian mountains" so i guess well call that correct, but i cant believe people think that im actually a native southerner, although i knew had picked it up a little. i think maybe people exaggerate a little bit too, because anybody who has spent time in the south outside of a major city knows that any accent i have is incredibly light, and not noticable by the natives. i think its pretty clear that my speech is majority general american with just some regional influence

Old 09-20-2010, 10:24 AM

496 posts, read 969,049 times
I'm actually from Alexandria, Louisiana which is in the central part of the state. I find it interesting that my accent has sounded upper southern to those who have listened thus far (Oklahoma from Smtchll and possibly southern Appalachia from JimmyJohnWilson) I have a tendency to pronounce the R's in words which may lead some to that conclusion.

However, generally in my area you will generally hear a blend non-rhotic and rhotic accents. Older people, those of Cajun descent, and African Americans tend to have more non-rhotic accents.

Smtchll: your accent is somewhat similar to what you could hear from young people in urban parts of north Louisiana, but yours might be lighter than average.

JimmyJohnWilson: I would have never guessed that you were from the west coast as your accent to me sounded very upper southern. However, your pronunciation of caramel and maybe some other words did not sound southern.

Last edited by RAlex; 09-20-2010 at 10:54 AM..

Old 09-20-2010, 10:49 AM

2,707 posts, read 4,805,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
BPerone, you have one of the thickest New York accents I've ever heard. I know you're from New Jersey, but I'm guessing the accent is the same.

Verseau: I think our mystery poster is from Illinois.
In the VAST majority of North NJ, the accent is not very detectable, it sounds like a general suburban northeastern accent.

The only places I come across accents like BPerone's is in the parts of NJ that are within 5-10 miles of NYC.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:56 AM

5,992 posts, read 6,856,268 times
JimmyJohn, I'm sorry, but you do have a Southern accent. I'm sorry. It's very noticeable.

Old 09-20-2010, 03:56 PM

331 posts, read 481,496 times

Last edited by Avtomat Kalashnikova; 09-20-2010 at 04:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.