Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2010, 07:35 PM

1,700 posts, read 5,929,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
Here is my accent:

YouTube - Accent
I think I hear a touch of a Northeastern/New England accent, but it's not real strong. And I'd never guess you live in Australia based on your accent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 08:00 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,168,736 times
Actually, it seems pretty clear to me that Frank is Canadian. I can hear some of the Italian influence, however; specifically the NYC area Italian-American features. Were your parents from this area or did you spend some time living there?

At any rate, I'm pretty sure you spent most of your formative years in Canada...

Old 09-15-2010, 08:21 PM

5 posts, read 6,820 times
Quote:
Here is my accent:

YouTube - Accent
I can't barely here your Australian accent..sounds more to me that you have a New England/Bostonian Accent..

Old 09-15-2010, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Made for the South View Post
Wow, this thread has blown up! My first time seeing it and it's so many pages... This has definitely been a nice learning experience. For example, here I was thinking that neotextist was a guy!

Here's my contribution. In the first video, I'll be reading the list BPerone201 and kidphilly posted. In the second video, I'll be reading that Comma story Verseau posted.

YouTube - C-D Accents Thread

YouTube - MVI 39391
Sounds like a North/Non-regional accent

Old 09-15-2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA7cities View Post
Here is another audio. Tell me what you think. East Coast, Southern, or a mix?

YouTube - video-2010-09-14-13-37-08
Have more of a southern accent for the most part..other times you sound with a northeaster accent..

Old 09-15-2010, 09:34 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,407,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verseau View Post
Actually, it seems pretty clear to me that Frank is Canadian. I can hear some of the Italian influence, however; specifically the NYC area Italian-American features. Were your parents from this area or did you spend some time living there?

At any rate, I'm pretty sure you spent most of your formative years in Canada...
I would guess Canadian, too. "Passta" gave it away.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:45 PM

389 posts, read 1,095,430 times
Quote:
Here is my accent:

YouTube - Accent
New England? Your accents kinda sounds like Jimmy Fallon's from that SNL skit where he was a crazy Boston Red Sox fan, so maybe Massachusetts?

Old 09-15-2010, 10:04 PM

20,513 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
Virginia's an odd case that all in all belongs in the south imo. Obviously the Eastern Half isnt as southern as most other Southern states...I think the Richmond, Norfolk, VA Beach area is clearly mid atlantic..but the Central and Western portions of Virginia have a strong mix between a plantation south accent and an appalachian accent.

But the whites sound undeniably southern in that portion of the state. The blacks in Western and Central VA are peculiar sounding imo..They actually pronounce their words in a way that sounds pretty similar to southern blacks, except that they tend to not have any discernible drawl whatsoever, and they talk much quicker than blacks in the Central south of Arkansas, Texas, Western Tennessee, Louisiana or Mississippi. Its weird...I'd say that Virginia has a combination of different accents..but the blacks have more of a neutral southern accent type thing going on.
Basically, the only areas of VA that people can debate is NOVA and maybe the Hampton Roads but that's a big maybe. Everything else as it concerns to Virginia is no doubt very Southern. Virginia is Mid-Atlantic but many include North Carolina within that region as well. Virginia, outside of NOVA, has far more in common with the Carolinas and Eastern Tennessee than it does with Pennsylvania and New Jersey.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:07 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,972,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Basically, the only areas of VA that people can debate is NOVA and maybe the Hampton Roads but that's a big maybe. Everything else as it concerns to Virginia is no doubt very Southern. Virginia is Mid-Atlantic but many include North Carolina within that region as well. Virginia, outside of NOVA, has far more in common with the Carolinas and Eastern Tennessee than it does with Pennsylvania and New Jersey.
pretty much

Old 09-16-2010, 02:42 PM

228 posts, read 696,194 times
I hope this thread is not dead yet. Here's mine.

YouTube - accent 0001

Please Excuss the ums and likes, I'm not a airhead (well 75% of the time), I just didn't know what to say, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.