Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2010, 06:29 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
i was kidding man
bah..btw..check out big krit's music.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:
well i don't think so. percy still sounded very east coast in that video, but mcfadden sounds more southern than me and he's from little rock

it definitely varies, but i disagree with blacks in the urban south sounding like chicago or st louis. blacks in houston, dallas, and atlanta with accents sound very southern
I will say this about Dallas and St. Louis. Their accents are nearly the same. The area from St. Louis to Memphis to Arkansas, Northern Louisiana, and North Texas is VERY similar. As far as Chicago. I mean this seriously and literally. If you was to have a conversation with my cousin who is born and raised here in Chicago, you would think you're talking to someone from the South.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:32 PM

492 posts, read 1,027,619 times
Here is another audio. Tell me what you think. East Coast, Southern, or a mix?

YouTube - video-2010-09-14-13-37-08

Old 09-14-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA7cities View Post

Southern to me

Old 09-14-2010, 06:52 PM

871 posts, read 2,248,513 times
Quote:
well i don't think so. percy still sounded very east coast in that video, but mcfadden sounds more southern than me and he's from little rock
what words specifically sounded east coast? because he sounds southern to me, not incredibly southern, but definitely i didnt hear any new york in the like in VAcities first video. he says "ah keep of few of em" very southern, he pronounces collection, cuhLEHshin, also in a southern sounding way. i dont hear any of the east coast. its hard to describe but he does sound southern.

what do you make of this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
I think you have a thick Southern accent. If you came to Memphis, people would think you sound country. No offense
really? i was actually in memphis just a month or two ago. most of the people i met sounded (at least to my ears) way more southern than i do. plenty of "everythangs" to go around. i dont see how my accent is thick at all. THIS is a thick accent. i definitely talk general american compared to that

i think you should do a video, Smtchll

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA7cities View Post
black southerners generally have non-rhotic dialects too, but the way you say "bettuh" (better) sounds new yorkish, as opposed to the way other southern blacks do. but you pronounced "accent", "time" and "read" pretty southernly. then you said "suthun" with a southern accent too. not sure if you were trying to sound more southern but you did in this clip, but still had a few new yorkish sounding words in there.

so i guess you could say its a mix

Old 09-14-2010, 07:21 PM

492 posts, read 1,027,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohnWilson View Post

black southerners generally have non-rhotic dialects too, but the way you say "bettuh" (better) sounds new yorkish, as opposed to the way other southern blacks do. but you pronounced "accent", "time" and "read" pretty southernly. then you said "suthun" with a southern accent too. not sure if you were trying to sound more southern but you did in this clip, but still had a few new yorkish sounding words in there.

so i guess you could say its a mix
I want honest opinions, so no i wasnt trying to sound southern at all. If you notice I talk slow in the audio so that you can understand me because with my accent, the faster I talk, the lazier I get with my pronunciations and the harder it will be for you to understand.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:37 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,645,125 times
AlGreen, the Tidewater accent is Southern. As a matter of fact, it was the original Southern accent (that way of speaking moved down the coast and influenced the rest of the South). We didn't even hear VAcities say certain words but they all sound Southern to me, you're confusing the non-rhoticism between VA and certain Northeastern cities but I don't hear any trace of NYC in VAcities' audio.

M.Vick, A. Iverson, P. Harvin, etc sound very different from people in NY. I'm still confused by you saying that VA folks don't sound Southern. Regarding people saying "bettuh" for better, you'd find older Southerners in the coastal states who pronounce it that way & people in parts of LA speak that way (non-rhotic that is).

Old 09-14-2010, 07:52 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
AlGreen, the Tidewater accent is Southern. As a matter of fact, it was the original Southern accent (that way of speaking moved down the coast and influenced the rest of the South). We didn't even hear VAcities say certain words but they all sound Southern to me, you're confusing the non-rhoticism between VA and certain Northeastern cities but I don't hear any trace of NYC in VAcities' audio.

M.Vick, A. Iverson, P. Harvin, etc sound very different from people in NY. I'm still confused by you saying that VA folks don't sound Southern. Regarding people saying "bettuh" for better, you'd find older Southerners in the coastal states who pronounce it that way & people in parts of LA speak that way (non-rhotic that is).
My dad is from Charlottesville, VA and he use to sound like he was from DC. He's been living in Texas for over 20 years now and his accent isn't as strong as it use to be, but my family in VA do sound like a DC person; which doesn't sound southern to me.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:02 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,415,339 times
OK - my take on this topic.

First of all, I'm not trying to be racist. Please forgive me if anything I say is out of line -- I have no racism or hatred against anybody.

It seems to me that blacks in general (not every black person, but a large portion of culturally-black people) have a Southern accent. It doesn't matter where they are from. I've heard blacks from Minnesota say things like "y'all" and "finna/fixin' to," and speak in a Southern drawl. I've heard the same in other Northern cities like Chicago, Milwaukee, Detroit, Grand Rapids (MI, not MN) and Cleveland.

It seems like the only exceptions to the Southern accent are highly educated people who speak General American or in the local regional accent, blacks from the Northeast (NJ, NY, CT and the New England states), Pacific Northwest (OR and WA), or from heavily non-black small towns and small cities in the Upper Midwest (cities like Mankato, MN, Duluth, MN, Wabasso, MN and Fargo, ND). The rest all have a pretty noticeable Southern drawl, although some from the actual South have a heavier accent.

Last edited by northstar22; 09-14-2010 at 08:12 PM..

Old 09-14-2010, 08:06 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,415,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohnWilson View Post
really? i was actually in memphis just a month or two ago. most of the people i met sounded (at least to my ears) way more southern than i do. plenty of "everythangs" to go around. i dont see how my accent is thick at all.
THIS is a thick accent. i definitely talk general american compared to that
You still have a very noticeable Southern accent. I can't hear my own accent, either. It doesn't mean it's not there. I was on the phone with an insurance company and I had someone mention my Minnesota accent. I still don't think it's that strong. THIS is a strong Minnesota accent:

YouTube - Minnesota dating scene
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.