Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 09:44 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,207,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prinessdanika99 View Post
I dont think there is a such thing as white flight in the south. It feels like Caucasians in the north have this mentality "I like minority people, I just do not want them around or near me". Sad
One more thing, check out the racial stats of these schools:

Huffman High School-Magnet, Birmingham Alabama / AL School Profile, Ranking, and Reviews - SchoolDigger.com
Tarrant High School, Birmingham Alabama / AL School Profile, Ranking, and Reviews - SchoolDigger.com
Erwin High School, Birmingham Alabama / AL School Profile, Ranking, and Reviews - SchoolDigger.com
Minor High School, Adamsville Alabama / AL School Profile, Ranking, and Reviews - SchoolDigger.com
Forest Hill High School, Jackson Mississippi / MS School Profile, Ranking, and Reviews - SchoolDigger.com
Wingfield High School, Jackson Mississippi / MS School Profile, Ranking, and Reviews - SchoolDigger.com
Wooddale High School, Memphis Tennessee / TN School Profile, Ranking, and Reviews - SchoolDigger.com
Ridgeway High School, Memphis Tennessee / TN School Profile, Ranking, and Reviews - SchoolDigger.com
Craigmont High School, Memphis Tennessee / TN School Profile, Ranking, and Reviews - SchoolDigger.com

I don't know why you're painting the south as some racial utopia. The youngest of those who experienced Jim Crow first hand are only in their 40s, so it's insane to expect a place with such a tense history to suddenly be rid of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 09:58 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
I'm sure that's the case, but don't start painting perfect little pictures and then splatter paint on the another canvas.
I just thought it was ironic that he was mentioning Iowa.
Well it was ironic to you because people often overlook Iowa as being a tolerant state, but historically the culture in the state has been unusually tolerant.

The incident that happened was a first for the area, and very isolated and unusual. There are normally around 1 million people that attend the fair, and violence has certainly never been the norm, let alone violence against white people. It's a metro area of 550,000 people that very rarely ever sees more than 10 homicides in any given year.

Iowa is home to the first university to admit women on equal basis as men, first public university to offer insurance benifits to domestic partners, first university to deliver a law degree to a woman, first university to deliver a law degree to an african american, first university to admit an african american to a varsity sports team, the state is home to the first mosque in the country, the state is home to the first muslim cemetery in the nation, outlawed slavery 26 years before federal government, lifted ban on interration marriage 116 years before federal government ruling (1851), granted women equal status to men in 1851, desegregated schools in 1868, almost 100 years before federal government, first female lawyer to practice in US federal courts, enacted civil rights amendment in 1884, senetor from Iowa was one of top pushers of Americans W Disabilities Act, Iowa decriminalized sodomy in 1978, 25 years before federal ruling, etc. etc.

Anyway, blah blah blah, but there's a lot of stuff that happened there decades before it was pushed through my other states/federal government.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:16 AM

28 posts, read 36,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prinessdanika99 View Post
I have traveled pretty much throughout the whole United States. I have observed behaviors and different tendencies of the residents of each state that I have resided.

However some states have huge problems with accepting and diversity. I have noticed a lot of overt racism in many of the states in the East, (Maryland, Pennsylvania, New York, Conn etc). I think the reason residents who reside in these states are like this because they tend to keep there dislike towards a minority group inside...
Yeah, I live in CT, and I noticed that after the recent Manchester shootings, you were quick to dismiss and defend the killer's conduct in the related thread. I replied to your absurd comments, blow-by-blow, but apparently you didn't have the tenacity to address my replies before the thread was closed.

BTW, you say that many in NE states such as CT, NY, etc. are mainly closet racists, yet these states are ultra-liberal, voted Obama, and so on. To folks like yourself, caucasian = racist. You're the darn racist.

Here in CT, most of the young white kids are obsessed with destructive rap music culture, and dress and act like idiots because of it's negative influence upon them. They are devoid of any sort of pride in their own culture and heritage. Not so for the black and hispanic population, who are constantly encouraged to embrace their heritage. Most of the middle aged and older white people are diehard liberals, with Obama bumper stickers on their cars, etc. I think you're delusional to claim CT is racist against blacks and minorities in any way.

It's just ironic that you claim the NE is racist racist racist ('gainst minorities), yet I'm contemplating a move out of here soon because in fact I find it to be subtly anti-white. Go figure.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:17 AM

16,700 posts, read 29,521,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Well it was ironic to you because people often overlook Iowa as being a tolerant state, but historically the culture in the state has been unusually tolerant.

The incident that happened was a first for the area, and very isolated and unusual. There are normally around 1 million people that attend the fair, and violence has certainly never been the norm, let alone violence against white people. It's a metro area of 550,000 people that very rarely ever sees more than 10 homicides in any given year.

Iowa is home to the first university to admit women on equal basis as men, first public university to offer insurance benifits to domestic partners, first university to deliver a law degree to a woman, first university to deliver a law degree to an african american, first university to admit an african american to a varsity sports team, the state is home to the first mosque in the country, the state is home to the first muslim cemetery in the nation, outlawed slavery 26 years before federal government, lifted ban on interration marriage 116 years before federal government ruling (1851), granted women equal status to men in 1851, desegregated schools in 1868, almost 100 years before federal government, first female lawyer to practice in US federal courts, enacted civil rights amendment in 1884, senetor from Iowa was one of top pushers of Americans W Disabilities Act, Iowa decriminalized sodomy in 1978, 25 years before federal ruling, etc. etc.

Anyway, blah blah blah, but there's a lot of stuff that happened there decades before it was pushed through my other states/federal government.

Don't forget gay marriage as well...

Old 09-13-2010, 10:18 AM

2,684 posts, read 7,383,617 times
Here are just my own 2 cents about living here in LA, take it for what it is.

The problem, at least in California, is that I feel that many of the American born Whites and Blacks FEEL that the rest of us are foreigners, as if somehow 'Asians' and 'Hispanics' don't fit into the larger picture of what it means to be an American. Very commonly, even here, I get the question "where are you from?" and not accept the answer of "LA" or "California" as if I'm personally INCAPABLE of being an American. In addition, many of the immigrant and immigrant kids themselves feel that being called an "American" means that you lost touch with "your culture" almost forgetting the reason WHY our parents even came to the United States to begin with. Of course, that is an extremely common complaint against many members of the Hispanic community (especially those are are involved in groups like "La Raza") but it exists in almost every single immigrant group.

At least for me, the question of color revolves around the line of "at what point do we become Americans?" On one hand, the United States prides itself on being an extremely diverse country with many many ethnic enclaves, but on the other hand, many of those SAME PEOPLE expect some kind of assimilation that really isn't described to us. I mean, what does integration look like? How do we "fully assimilate" or really "can we assimilate?" At least for me personally, all I want to do is survive here and live a good enough life to sustain myself. Questions of "nationality" and "identity" are secondary to the fact that I need to put food on the table.

I think America could use a lot of work when it comes to questions like these, but I also feel that the US is further along this progress than most other countries. It's not going to come overnight, but I'm pretty optimistic for the future.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:24 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,414,034 times
Lifeshadower, I'm sorry that you've faced racism. I certainly consider Asians and Hispanics born here or otherwise holding American citizenship to be Americans. Thinking people are "foreign" because of their race is just ignorant.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:14 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,817,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post

+1 Rep

Old 09-13-2010, 03:51 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,817,095 times
I didn't intend on bashing Iowa, but Iowa is among the least diverse states in the nation. It was isolated from the original 13, so the tension wasn't as extreme. Iowa is vital for its massive agriculture, it's the urban areas that take took biggest hit.

They had plenty of room to be "tolerant" being so isolated. I just don't like what this thread is about to crash into. These kinds of threads attract NE bashing. Seeing the previous posts made by the poster I quoted, I already know what he's driving at.

I'm glad you enlightened me with about the acceptance and tolerance that thrived throughout Iowa's history, but I was just bringing up "recent" news- The Representative of Iowa say's the incidents "may" have racial overtones. That's just plain denial. Iowa remains the most tolerant state, but there's no actual strength of diversity to hold water in comparison. To bash the mid-atlantic/Southern NE states and compare them to a states like Iowa/MS isn't logical to me.. AT ALL
~

Old 09-13-2010, 06:25 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,414,034 times
No one likes to see their region bashed, but us Midwesterners have to hear it on a daily basis. "Cold, bad economy, corn, no diversity, etc." None of it is true.

I can't speak for Iowa itself, but I live in a small town about 50 miles from the Iowa border (Mankato, Minnesota). In this small, Upper Midwestern town surrounded by prairie, corn and river bluffs, we have whites, black Americans, Somalis, Sudanese, East Asians, South Asians, Hispanics, Middle Easterners and Native Americans, as well as plenty of biracial people. It is very diverse and progressive here. Places like Des Moines, IA and St. Paul are even more diverse.

Yes, traditionally the Upper and western Midwest had a lower minority population, but there have always been some non-whites, even in places like Iowa and North Dakota. Also, minorities are flocking here because of a good economy and the LACK of racism and segregation. Minnesota had one of the largest increases in black/African-American population in the past ten years. We lack the deep history of racism and segregation that plagued the South and Northeast. No, I'm not trying to bash the northeast, but you can't say that the Midwest has no diversity.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:35 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,074,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckzona View Post
You can't call the people in Arizona racist. Do you have daily problems with illegal immigrants, who form gangs, cause violence, steal, and trash the desert areas of the southern part of the state. If anything i would say the people of Arizona are kind in letting all these illegal immigrants destroy the state.
You're aware that AZ used to be Mexico, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.