Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 06:04 PM

9,098 posts, read 13,113,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Was wondering that too! Maryland has not one natural lake lol
True, but do you think Maryland has more in common with the Northern states aka Foundry/Lakeland or does it have more in common with the Southern states aka Dixie?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 07:35 PM

499 posts, read 663,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
On the original map the name was "The Foundry" because this region was where much of our economic productivity used to be. Since, thanks to 'Free Trade' we no longer make things in the USA, I guess the OP wanted to change the name to something more up to date.

New York has over 7,800 lakes and borders two of the Great Lakes and Lake Champlain. Pennsylvania also borders the Great Lakes.

So, certainly the name "Lakeland" covers most of the area, including the water rich Province of Ontario. Its alot better than "Rustbelt"!
It has to be more than about lakes, Florida has lakes too. Maryland has the largest bay in the country not a lake.

This area simply doesn't think about Chicago, Michigan etc let alone New York.

Maryland is more like dixie territory or its own thing Mid-Atlantic, I've realized that the built environment is way more like the south than the north.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:04 PM

6,105 posts, read 5,963,114 times
I will make an arguement that the "Lakeland" nation should be divided into two nations at the Blue Mountain in PA, Catoctin Mt. in MD, North of the Rappahanock in VA, and at the Tappan Zee 40 miles north of NYC. All of Long Island and all of CT on the Metro North Rail Schedual out of Grand Central Station should be annexed to it as well. The great Metro nation from the DC area to NYC and Long Island behaves differently, has its own language and cpmpletely different politics, values and spirit when compared to the Lakeland area, Dixie or New England. The guy who did the 538 web site grouped the states of NY,CT, NJ,Delaware and MD plus the District into a region he named "Acela" for the high speed train that like a river runs through it. There should be 10 nations of North America and a place for a nation in a hurry like Acela.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:12 PM

9,098 posts, read 13,113,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJetSet View Post
It has to be more than about lakes, Florida has lakes too. Maryland has the largest bay in the country not a lake.

This area simply doesn't think about Chicago, Michigan etc let alone New York.

Maryland is more like dixie territory or its own thing Mid-Atlantic, I've realized that the built environment is way more like the south than the north.
Its just a name. The OP probably chose it because lakes dominate a large part of the region. He could have chose a different name....but does it really matter to what he is saying???

Old 09-14-2010, 09:32 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,896,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Lakeland, seriously. Southern and Southeastern WI may not be lakeland but 2/3 of the state are and so are 2/3 of Minnesota.....we both have tons of lakes and in both states it starts north of the major cities.
Really, southeastern WI is not lakeland? Milwaukee is ON Lake Michigan. How is that not Lakeland?

Old 09-15-2010, 03:30 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,820,974 times
High level, man. I'm trying to make it easier to draw from his existing map. Plus, I assumed Chicago and Milwauke WERE part of Lakeland and it was just too small to see. SE Wisconsin and Southern Wisconsin have FAR FEWER lakes than the northern 2/3, that's why I mentioned that. Same with MN -- same argument.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:27 PM

6,615 posts, read 16,492,621 times
I'd extend the Breadbasket into central IN and all of OH except along the lakeshore. Also, the boundary between New England and Lakeland seems arbitrary--like you just used the exiting eastern boundary of NY for lack of a better demarcation. Admittedly, the distinction between western VT, MA and CT and eastern NY is quite subtle, so not quite sure where I'd move that boundary, though I know it should be farther west.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:15 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,837,014 times
The problem is that Garreau originally referred to the "Lakeland" area as the "Foundry", since states such as New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, etc don't have anything else in common with the Great Lakes states...

I agree about extending the "Breadbasket" into at least western Ohio, where the eastern end of the Corn Belt starts---that is, unless you want to make a distinction between the Corn Belt and the Wheat Belt...

Last edited by MassVt; 09-16-2010 at 11:42 AM..

Old 09-16-2010, 12:50 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,188,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I agree about extending the "Breadbasket" into at least western Ohio, where the eastern end of the Corn Belt starts---that is, unless you want to make a distinction between the Corn Belt and the Wheat Belt...
If we are making that argument then I think the western boundary for the Bread Basket should roughly follow the I-71 corridor in Ohio. East of there Ohio is mostly rolling hills and forested. West of there it is mostly agricultural flat-lands.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:20 PM

6,105 posts, read 5,963,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
The problem is that Garreau originally referred to the "Lakeland" area as the "Foundry", since states such as New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, etc don't have anything else in common with the Great Lakes states...

Garreau included states like Delaware, New Jersey, part of Conneticutt and Maryland in the Foundary because Americas Industrial revolution was born in Balitimore, along the Brandywine Creek, Passaic River , Hudson Valley and the Housatonic and Connecticutt Rivers. Water powered then steam powered it spread inland to places like Pittsburgh, Youngstown, Cleveland, Buffallo and on to Detroit and Chicago. The eastern craddle of American Industry also was the first area to be abandoned and suffer the rust belt label decades before the more western parts of the Foundary.

Places like Chicago and Washigton DC and even New York City were considered to be border towns or places unto themselves. Take Chicago is it the Foundary or is it the center of the Breadbasket since virtually all railroads in the heartland of America go to Chicago and the economic pulse of the Agribusiness sector is is set by the Chigago Board of Trade which sets the prices and values of futures contracts for corn, wheat, hogs etc. Chicago is just as concerned about the weather in Iowa as would be a farmer in Iowa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.