U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should MAXIMUM speed limit be on U.S. highway/freeways?
85 mph (135 km/h) + or NO speed limit (Like German autobahn) 38 41.30%
80 mph (130 km/h) 25 27.17%
75 mph (120 km/h) 12 13.04%
70 mph (110 km/h) 10 10.87%
65 mph (105 km/h) 5 5.43%
60 mph (95 km/h) 0 0%
55 mph (90 km/h) 0 0%
50 mph (80 km/h) or less 2 2.17%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 08:54 PM

Location: Where Sunday shopping is prohibited :) - Bergen County, NJ!
108 posts, read 124,879 times

Advertisements

What should MAXIMUM speed limits be on highway/freeways according to you and why?

Last edited by River Edge; 09-13-2010 at 09:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 09:11 PM

3,628 posts, read 7,260,345 times
Its fine but Michigan"s maximum, imo, should be 65 mph

Old 09-13-2010, 09:40 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,716,620 times
No speed limit in non-urban areas. However, freeways should be restricted to drivers who are at least 18. They should have a special police force (like the German autobahn) and speed limits for adverse weather conditions (snow, wind, heavy rain).

Old 09-13-2010, 10:00 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,454,052 times
Damned negligent of these mapping authorities to include NY as being among those who enjoy a 65 MPH speed limit.
In NY, the limit is 55 so the highway police and state troopers have a maximum window through which to issue speeding tickets.
Not sayin that they do tend to write excessive amounts of tickets but am believing that they need to raise the limit to 65.
I guess that they probably already have, but the state doesn't have the money in it's coffers to afford to replace the tens of
thousands of highway, speed limit signs.

We have a State road that runs through three NY counties, it's called Sunrise Highway (Rte.27). Out here in Suffolk County,
because of the budgetary crunch, rather than have a presence of County police or those of the individual townships through which
the highway passes, our county executive has relieved himself of having to come up with the funding that it would take to keep the
county police out there, he has delegated that responsibility to the county sheriff and his deputies. Since the sheriff's department is
spread pretty thin, like most municipalities, I understand that there are only about 6 cars designated to monitor the highway, 3 cars
on the eastbound side and the other 3 on the westbound side.

As the only driver in my family, I am responsible for driving my daughter to and from her job. She works in Bay Shore, we live
in Copiague, ten miles from the mall where she works and the trip is about 15 minutes in driving time. As Sunrise Highway leaves the
town of Lindenhurst, there becomes a long stretch that has a concrete barrier and a fenced center median, as well as having the side
exposure completely fenced except for entry and exit areas every few miles. Back in 2001, I got a speeding ticket on Sunrise for doing
72 MPH in a 55MPH zone and it irked me when I realized that the cop was over on the service road when he flew up the closest entry
ramp and pulled me over. It wasn't radar either, it was really just his guestimated speed.

Now that the sheriff's deputies are charged with monitoring the highway, and whether I'm going east or west for those ten miles
(twice a day), I often find myself cruising along with the rest of the drivers at a steady 75 and honestly I have often had other cars
whip by me, at better than 80, because I'm not going fast enough while in the 3rd (fast) lane!. It was earlier this year when Newsday
published an article that produced the statistical data to bear out the fact that although speeding ticket revenues were seriously down,
that safety was greatly improved and accident rates had seen a definite decline over the years when the policing of Sunrise was relegated
to County police. Thank you Sheriff Vincent DeMarco!

Old 09-14-2010, 12:20 AM

13,310 posts, read 18,318,082 times
Depends on the terrain. I-79 in West Virginia should have a speed limit of 70. I-64 in Illinois should have a speed limit of 85.

Old 09-14-2010, 02:54 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,148,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Depends on the terrain. I-79 in West Virginia should have a speed limit of 70. I-64 in Illinois should have a speed limit of 85.
I agree with you about the highways in Southern Illinois.

It really should be based on the terrain and road design and less on the location. Road conditions should heavily apply to this along with day/night.

Old 09-14-2010, 03:02 AM

5,530 posts, read 10,285,433 times
There's a lot of detail about Texas but not other states. Is Texas unique this way or do you only know data about Texas?

Old 09-14-2010, 07:11 AM

2,540 posts, read 8,200,908 times
I voted for 85/no speed limit, but my vote is really for "like German autobahn". This is because the autobahns have speed limits in many areas, particularly where terrain is more challenging and in more populated areas. However, when you get out of the populated areas and the road is generally straight, the speed limits are lifted for passenger vehicles, but not semis. Of course, for this to truly work in the US, drivers here would quickly have to learn how to properly use turn signals and only drive in the left-most lane when overtaking.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:29 AM

824 posts, read 892,436 times
Montana once had a "safe and prudent" speed limit- similar to the Autobahn. But to me those Great Plains States need to be 80 as most roads are straight, have fairly few exits, is mostly flat, and don't have many small cities. Plus, most cars these days accelerate faster, with the average going from 0 to 60 in about 9 seconds, so the speeds can be raised as well. All of a sudden, a trip from Salina, KS to Kansas City would save you over a half hour if it went from 70 to 80. Also, it's easy to see when a storm would approach out there as well. But, like Texas, I'd enforce a nighttime speed limit of 70 in those areas.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:35 AM

8,128 posts, read 17,529,613 times
As long as you are beyond city limits of large cities, there shouldn't be a speed limit. I don't care how fast people drive, I really don't. If you want to drive 85-90, and are on sparsely populated highways, then knock yourself out. As one poster noted, this should apply to terrain as well. I've driven across West Virginia, for instance, and there are stretches of I-79 in the center of the state that are very winding. My current residence is New Mexico, and unless you are in Albuquerque on I-40 or I-25, there really shouldn't be a speed limit at all. It's rather pointless, because there are very, very few cars on the highway.

I would maintain a maximum speed limit around major cities, however, depending on density. New York City, one isn't going to be able to drive much above 50-55 on many highways even if they wanted to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.